Should Australia be a part of this?
  Yes
  No
  Uncertain
View Results

the_weird_1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:17 pm
I read this....

..........A country caps its carbon emissions at a certain level and then issues permits to firms and industries that grant the firm the right to emit a stated amount of carbon dioxide over a period of time. Firms are then free to trade these credits in a free market. Firms whose emissions exceed the amount of credits they possess will be heavily penalised. The idea behind carbon trading is that firms that can reduce their emissions at a low cost will do so and then sell their credits on to firms that are unable to easily reduce emissions. A shortage of credits will drive up the price of credits and make it more profitable for firms to engage in carbon reduction. In this way the desired carbon reductions are met at the lowest cost possible to society.........

Should Australia do this?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:10 am
I don't think so.

It's a very very capitalistic idea, i disagree with that on a personal level for this reason alone.

But i think it's a difficult thing to implement, and when it is, many businesses will be heavily disadvantaged -ones that are very large and can't reduce emissions will have to buy big and it will cost them alot of money.

Not every business is always liquad enough to buy more things than they do already at any given time. Infact, many large businesses work and may be paid as rarely as once a year (A business that builds large boats for example, may spend an entire year on a comissioned boat, and not be paid until the boat is constructed and delivered. In this case, a loan must be taken out by the business for the year, and with this loan they must pay the workers, pay for the resources, the construction process etc, and then when they are paid they would then have to spend any profit on emission credits).  

The Curse

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:50 am
It's a system which has it's flaws and benefits.

The blatant capitalist angle of it also gets me a littel worked up about the ideologies of it too, but if anyone is going to impliment anything, this looks like it'll be the only large scale thing a government will do. It's, in a way, lazy, because it's almost like a free-market system. All it needs from a government is some rails to keep it on track.

I wish something more meaningful and useful would actually come into effect somewhere, but so far it doesn't seem very likely.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:13 am
the_weird_1
I read this....

..........A country caps its carbon emissions at a certain level and then issues permits to firms and industries that grant the firm the right to emit a stated amount of carbon dioxide over a period of time. Firms are then free to trade these credits in a free market. Firms whose emissions exceed the amount of credits they possess will be heavily penalised. The idea behind carbon trading is that firms that can reduce their emissions at a low cost will do so and then sell their credits on to firms that are unable to easily reduce emissions. A shortage of credits will drive up the price of credits and make it more profitable for firms to engage in carbon reduction. In this way the desired carbon reductions are met at the lowest cost possible to society.........

i know that policy, too bad they dont tell that the fine print says you can sell your carbon quota to other countries, eg: china uses less carbon so they sell their quota of carbon emmissions to australia who uses more.

the world and politics is evil, they'll do anythin to make a dollar.  

nrasjaa

Black-Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:32 am
many people do that..they just do it on a very large scale

so do you want me to lick your feet or just message them? blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:54 am
nrasjaa
the_weird_1
I read this....

i know that policy, too bad they dont tell that the fine print says you can sell your carbon quota to other countries, eg: china uses less carbon so they sell their quota of carbon emmissions to australia who uses more.

that's what SIngapore, i think that's the place, does with their Road tolls.
or it's a hyperthetical form my eco book, but the idea of bying a permit tfor emisions, or driving your car in this case is good. makes you limit it, and for the fine print thing you saw Nras everyone gets an equil sahre the point of being able to sell off your excess means that you perosnaly don't wase it (if you don't have emisions) and can get some profit in the short term.
so it's the free market mechanics on an enviromental Problem.
works in theory but yes, corruption can get into the picture.  

thegreatvincenzo

Falethial

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:00 am
Seriously....who's counting the tons bigger companies poor out overnight anyhow? Seriously, how can they police this? I have a bit of a giggle, then realise that hey, emissions are a part of our lives. You dont like the thought of polution, stop buying the products that cause em.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:05 am
This is blasphemy! This is madness!

Man-made global warming does not exist.

And if people think it's really that bad, maybe we should just convert to nuclear power.

2 nuclear power plants could power WA for the next 50-100 years.

This is Sparta!!!

Atomic Sky

Black-Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:31 pm
Well no your wrong there is human made global warming in a way…
As I pointed out scientist say we are still melting from the ice age. but humans are making it a lot more faster

and yeah nuclear power is great..but uses heaps of water...maybe we should fix that problem first  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:10 pm
thegreatvincenzo
nrasjaa
the_weird_1
I read this....

that's what SIngapore, i think that's the place, does with their Road tolls.
or it's a hyperthetical form my eco book, but the idea of bying a permit tfor emisions, or driving your car in this case is good. makes you limit it, and for the fine print thing you saw Nras everyone gets an equil sahre the point of being able to sell off your excess means that you perosnaly don't wase it (if you don't have emisions) and can get some profit in the short term.
so it's the free market mechanics on an enviromental Problem.
works in theory but yes, corruption can get into the picture.

the point is to reduce carbon emmision, not for everyone to have equal share at driving cars.  

nrasjaa

antwony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:53 am
I agree that this technique has its benefits and flaws, but Australia has the worst carbon emissions in the world, and its about time we did something about it. We have heard about global warming for ages, and huge master plans have been proposed, but nothing ever gets done. It's about time we did something about what we are doing to the planet. We all know that it is bad, but we all ignore it, we actually need to change our life styles to save water, and become Carbon Neutral.

The Official Australian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games