Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Skirt Pattern? *begs*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:17 pm
Okay...I know its very much ahead of time, but I need time to practice and whatnot, lol.

Ali needs a skirt patttern! Do you have one? Can I have a link? PLEASE? I'll give you cookies!

The story:
A few days ago (probably last night) I desided I'm going to go trick or treating again this year (I don't know if I will next year, but there has to be one year in my life where I make my own costume!) and I desided I'm going to go as Pocky, but not your normal everyday Pocky....I will be like red leg warmers, a red shirt (probably tank) with the Pocky design, possibly arm warmers, and last but not least, a RED SKIRT.
But...I do not know how to make a skirt...(Or a shirt for that matter, but I will be learning more about shirt making soon...)...Therefore, I need your help. Is there anyone who can send me a link to like a basic mini skirt, I don't care if its pleated or not, but I need a skirt pattern, lol. If its around knee length but a bit shorter, thats fine too.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:13 am
I've been looking and this is all I've found so far. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Skirt

I've made a mini skirt years ago when I actually looked good in them. Let me see if I can remember how I did it.

Have someone measure you around the widest part of your lower body, usually the hips. It will throw off the measurements if you try to measure yourself.
Also have them measure your waist, or around where you want the waistband to sit. I know some people like to have their waistbands ride differently.
Then have them measure down from the waistband to where you want your hem.
You will need to add to these measurements for a casing, hem, ease and seam allowance after making some decisions about how you want your skirt to fit, what fabric you want to use, and how wide your elastic is going to be.

Sew your fabric into a tube that you can easily get over your hips. Hem your tube on one end and add a casing on the other end leaving a hole big enough to thread your elastic through. Attach your elastic to a bodkin or a big safetypin and work it though the casing. Be sure not to lose the ends. Stitch up the ends of the elastic and then stitch the casing closed.

My tips:
This method of skirt-making really only works with a sturdy knit fabric.
Wider elastic is better for a waistband in my opinion unless you won't be wearing the skirt much.
Find a book on sewing techniques and read up before trying this.
When I made this skirt I tapered the seam from the hips to the hem just a bit so it would fit a little closer to my body, kind of like a pencil skirt, because it looked better on me that way.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:17 pm
Okay ^^ Thank you very much *hugs*
Umm...I have one more question but its off subject...Why are people so obsessed with turtles? They won't quit calling...They want the turtle...There are some really persistant people who call over and over again, and so I'm not answering the phone cuz its freakish, lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:49 am
I wish I were better at writing tutorials, the skirt I made looked rather good. I know exactly what I did, but I don't know how to explain it properly. I hope it's understandable and helps a little bit. Perhaps if I ever get a new sewing machine I'll make another one and post a tutorial with pictures since I couldn't find much on the web.
As for the obsession with turtles, I have no clue. I'm obsessed with ferrets myself and can't really understand wanting a pet that isn't fuzzy and cuddly.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:35 pm
lol, I love ferrets, they're cute. ^^ But my mom won't let me get one cuz I suck as a pet owner....We sold the turtle...Turns out Bernie the male turtle turned out to be Tama the female turtle that is at least 10 years old. ^^;

Hmmm.....There are still a bunch of people calling about the turtle and its like impossible to be on the phone without the caller id showing that someone wanting the turtle is on the other line or mostly now when the phone rings its someone wanting the turtle, lol. ^^;  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games