Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Gothic Magazines?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ketchakik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
so i was looking through a couple old copies of Carpe Noctum magazine from the 90s....and i was just wondering if anyone else reads gothic or goth friendly magazines......and what some titles out there now are.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:49 pm
Not a lot.

The best out there, in my opinion, is The Mick. It's a magazine entirely written by Mick Mercer, available for free download from his site ( www.mickmercer.com ). He usually updates monthly, though, unusually, he hasn't updated since January. Still, it's a great magazine. Most in-depth magazine about goth-music that I've ever found.

The most popular available is the German magazine Orkus, which is now being made available in English (five English issues are out thusfar). Now, the magazine is built more around the German scene, so it is a bit different than most out there. It largely (perhaps, mainly) focuses on industrial music, though, it also commonly has articles on darkwave groups and, somewhat less commonly, goth-rock groups.

One of the fastest growing magazines, particularly in America, is Gothic Beauty Magazine. It originally began as a fashion magazine, doing articles on emerging trends, "do-it-yourself", up-and-coming designers, make-up application, etc. However, in the last year or so, the magazine has really made a push to broaden it's horizons. Recent issues have featured more and more articles about and interviewing goth, darkwave, [and other] bands and artists. Nearly every major modern artist in the scene has been hit. Also, the magazine has done a lot of articles of goth lifestyle, such as articles about clubs, cities with large scenes, decorating, and more.

Those, in my mind, are the big three.  

GilAskan
Crew

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:29 pm
There are some pretty awesome fashion magazines, like Cure. Sadly it's all in Japanese, and I don't know any characters. However many of them come with nifty patterns if you're into that sort of stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:39 pm
GilAskan
Not a lot.

The best out there, in my opinion, is The Mick. It's a magazine entirely written by Mick Mercer, available for free download from his site ( www.mickmercer.com ). He usually updates monthly, though, unusually, he hasn't updated since January. Still, it's a great magazine. Most in-depth magazine about goth-music that I've ever found.

The most popular available is the German magazine Orkus, which is now being made available in English (five English issues are out thusfar). Now, the magazine is built more around the German scene, so it is a bit different than most out there. It largely (perhaps, mainly) focuses on industrial music, though, it also commonly has articles on darkwave groups and, somewhat less commonly, goth-rock groups.

One of the fastest growing magazines, particularly in America, is Gothic Beauty Magazine. It originally began as a fashion magazine, doing articles on emerging trends, "do-it-yourself", up-and-coming designers, make-up application, etc. However, in the last year or so, the magazine has really made a push to broaden it's horizons. Recent issues have featured more and more articles about and interviewing goth, darkwave, [and other] bands and artists. Nearly every major modern artist in the scene has been hit. Also, the magazine has done a lot of articles of goth lifestyle, such as articles about clubs, cities with large scenes, decorating, and more.

Those, in my mind, are the big three.

thanks i'll be sure to check those out.........
i'd probibally really like that one orkus.since i'm really into industrail music too  

ketchakik

Suicide Lollies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:40 am
User Image
&& I must have been asleep for days and moving lips to breathe her name;;

User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The Aussie Fiend magazine is pretty good. Aussies - keep an eye out for it and buy it! The magazine needs your support. 3nodding

&& I opened up my eyes and found myself alone..
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:42 am
I recall once seeing a Cyber Goth magazine  

.[Hellebore].

lyssiah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:18 am
the only goth magizine that I've found here is Gothic Beauty... I find it to be amusing.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:21 am
Two good magazines for those of you who are into DIY are Gothic&Lolita Bible and Gothic&Lolita Sewing.

The GL Bible Magazines sometimes have cool art projects, clothing patterns(some of which are kind of gothy...), recipies, and decor tips which would qualify as goth (the only problem is that it's completely in Japanese).

Gothic&Lolita Sewing is an excellent resource for seamstresses. They have many patterns in each volume, and a lot of the patterns look like they could easily qualify as western gothic apparel. The magazine has illustrated instructions for each pattern, so any experienced seamstress should be able to follow them without knowing Japanese. The main problem with these magazine is that the patterns are in Japanese sizes, which means they're really small! However a skilled seamstress may be able to re-size them.

Your best bet for finding these magazines would be to check online for them.  

DreamerSpirit

Scathach789

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:00 am
Hooray for Orkus and Gothic Beauty (the two I read religiously) Hmm, I dunno any other magazines. I swear I saw one in Borders the other day but it was an expensive import. If I can get the title I'll post it up here.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:10 am
I'd say Drop Dead Magazine, but didn't they only have one issue of it?

Unless we're talking about only fashion, in which case, ignore this. ninja  

x Socks x

babalonsatene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:03 pm
Dark Culture and Meltdown

stare  
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items