Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Share your crafting emergency story!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ever had a crafting emergency?
  yes
  no
View Results

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:21 am
Yesterday I had an official knitting emergency. xD It's actually a pretty funny story which is why I will share it.

I've been working pretty intently on my Jaywalker, and have been so excited to see such an easy pattern turn out so pretty. Well two nights ago I did a few rounds and layed the sock and yarn in the seat of my chair and went to bed.

When I woke up my project was on the floor next to my chair. I wondered how it had gotten there and soon noticed that one of my bamboo needles was broken! Had it fallen? How did it break? Upon a closer look, I realized what had happened. My kitty, Garfield, had taken sudden interest in my project and bitten off the tip of my expensive Addi Natura bamboo needle! She'd also chewed on another needle's tip and it has some chunks missing. DAMNIT!

So I ran out to my closest craft store and of course they don't have size 1 bamboo needles. The only size 1's they had were metal and they're 2.25mm.. since I already started my project on 2.50mm's, there'd for sure be a difference in guage if I changed to the smaller size 1's.

In closing, I think I can still work with my maimed needles, as long as I use an unharmed end of the needle and stay vigilant about the yarn not getting snagged.

Discussion Spoon:
Does anyone have a similar story to share about a crafting emergency? Doesn't have to be just knitting, things happen and it'd be fun to share. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:12 am
i've yet to experience such an emergency, thank god! rofl but your story was quite amusing. my cat loves to ruin my things too...particularly killing my plants....i've gotten to the point of only having pointy cacti! >.<  

Minathia

x_dreamweaver_x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 pm
Once upon a time I was knitting some socks for my dad. I got two 50gram balls of this gorgeous blue-green-turquoise-intertwined yarn in Washington, and then started the socks when I arrived home in Hawaii.

Well, my dad has very big feet, so to finish the first sock I had to tap into my second ball of yarn. And, since I did that, I ran out of yarn mid toe on the last sock! I couldn't go back to get more because the yarn store was on a different continent. I knew the yarn shop had a website, but I couldn't remember the name of the store xd

In the end I had to use another color of yarn in the same weight to finish the sock. Thankfully, my dad loves them, but now the toe of one of the socks is a bright orange rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:57 pm
Just remember, no matter how much of an emergency it is don't switch to metal needles (even if they are the same diameter). Your gauge will be different on the slick metal needles. If you can't afford another pair of Addis, I recommend Brittany's wooden needle line. They retail about $7.00 a set and will have a texture more similar to bamboo. Mine have come through for me time after time. heart  

Tinuvial

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:20 pm
I would've been so mad at my cat if they'd ruined a set of Addis.
Luckily for me, I don't keep any Addis because they'd probably get broken or lost.
But Brittany's are really great. I've got some, and I love them.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:12 am
The worst I've ever had is the baby grabbing my needles from the bag and running off with them, regardless of project status. rofl I've had to pick up and re-knit quite a few rows because of him. I finally gave him the hot-pink and black size 17s to occupy him. rofl

He also bent one of my plastic 7s into an L, so I had to wait on my husband's sweater until I could get some metal ones. whee

I really should invest in some more circulars.  

AriRashkae

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:33 am
Hmmm.....I'll have to keep an eye on KC (G-mas cat) when I go over to G-ma's tomorrow, lol, I'm gonna bring my crafting stuff along. *nod Nod*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:38 am
If my cat isn't trying to actively eat my yarn, thereby pulling work out/making the yarn natty and unusable, then he's sitting on projects. He's never managed to get poked with a needle, but he manages to slide the crochet hook out everytime. And a few knitting dpns too. And he gets his black fur on everything. EVERYTHING. gonk

My only real crafting "emergencies" have been when I injured myself crafting LOL  

Silvander

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:45 am
I have been blessed to not have any cat+knitting emergencies

Though I do have a cat related story to share...

I was making a model of an interior space; it's part of what I do for theatre design is model out what the set is supposed to look like in scale (like 1/2" = 1'-0"). and after I create the perfect shape with all sorts of things (foam, paper, wood, wire, spaghetti noodles...) I cover the whole thing in gesso to give an even surface for paint.
One day IO was in a hurry and covered my model in gesso right before I had to grab my books and run to class; leaving my two cats in the apartment and the gesso model on my desk. When I cam back two hours later I found Robyn, my longhaired orange, rather stupid cat laying directly on top of the model. To which I yelled "Robyn! Get off of that!" and the cat leapt up.... and the model stuck to him. He layed in the gesso while it was wet and it dried into his fur >.<

Chasing a cat around an efficency apartment with bits of broken model hanging off his fur is good fun -.-  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:52 pm
These are awesome stories, they've made me laugh and taught me some precautionary lessons! Cats + Crafts = Disaster xD

Yes I'm quite unhappy to have to replace my Addis, but I'm definitely going to get more Addis. They're just love. The problem has been finding them! I've found some online and will most likely order from there. I know someplace in NYC would probably carry them, (and luckily I'm close by) but I don't know if I want to go on some wild goose chase to find them, lol.  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items