Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
This cracks me up...but also makes me twitch. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

America is slowly losing its abilty to be grammatical...
  Yes.
  Not really...
  Whatever...
View Results

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:05 am
The self-esteem movement has created a generation of damaged people who are unable to hear the truth without crying. I've been doing research online about "self-esteem". It had its start in California (big surprise there, huh?) in the 80s. A "task force" was formed to make certain all the schools upped their students' self-esteem. Competitive sports and spelling bees were eliminated and replaced with things where everyone got a prize and all was equal. *Starts humming the Soviet anthem.*

Thankfully though, some schools have seen the result and are eliminating the self-esteem programs and going back to the old ways of doing things. You know, where teachers could actually tell students that they were wrong and order them to be quiet. Hopefully, the new trend shall continue.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:05 am
I agree with Yami.

As my days grow in number, I find that the number of people who can't handle the truth, also increases. Life is truth. If you can't handle the truth without being a baby about it, you will inevitably fail in life. Those "self esteem" programs damage the person more than anything. You can only build your own self esteem, others can't do it for you. Self esteem is built by being wrong and losing. Human nature allows you to learn from those things. Taking those away and replacing them with programs where everybody is right and wins (which is impossible) has negative results, like bad grammar. How? It's a matter of how the person was brought up. If they went through their school years being told by teachers, "Oh good job!" when the work really sucked, the person would then live life thinking, "Since i did a good job on that, it must be right." Hence, bad grammar results. Over time, patterns continue in telling people they're right when actually, they're wrong. Then life as we know it, crumbles. All because people are babies, and can't handle what life gives them.  

omiyashi0

A c i d - R a m a

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:03 am
Zweite
Really? I thought it was Walmart that would try to do that.

Let's just hope they were running out of money and hired a kid to make an ad for them.

if only that actually happened  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:10 am
A-pac7
Zweite
Really? I thought it was Walmart that would try to do that.

Let's just hope they were running out of money and hired a kid to make an ad for them.

if only that actually happened

If only you used capital letters and full stops. Go back to nursery, please.  

MadnessFreak

Sweet Blushes

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:14 am
Wow, that is so true. If I had seen that, coming from a proper industry, I would have taken a black Sharpie and added the O's.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:49 am
Eeeesh.. That's quite bad. I just hope that it's just some foreign person who recently moved to the US, and if not, then eeek... People are too careless about grammar these days, and people only continue to become even more careless. I partly blame text messaging. At least when I use text messaging, which is very rare, I type out my words, use proper punctuation, and such. My friends think I'm "weird" for that though. ¬¬;;  

l3viathan

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:28 am
xNancy-Lyx
Wow, that is so true. If I had seen that, coming from a proper industry, I would have taken a black Sharpie and added the O's.

Agreed. stressed  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:56 am
I would have taken the name of the company down and written them a letter explaining to the that their advertisement was grammatically incorrect.  

blueturnsgrey

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:25 pm
xNancy-Lyx

Do you correct mistakes in bathroom stall graffiti?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff