Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
From where do you learn grammar? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

greiqny5nsegkfnds

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:14 pm
I taught myself everything I know about grammer. Yes, school did help but I learned almost everythin by reading. It's almost a second nature now, to spell things correctly and to use appropriate grammer.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:55 pm
I've learned it mostly myself. Another way I learned was from observing other posts with great grammar. And of course reading.  

kirb-sama

l3viathan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:33 am
I have learned my grammar at grammer school. I were in a Catholic school from kindergarten to high school graduation and we had an English class till 8th grade. After that, they no longer taught grammar so it's all self-taught afterwards. I think that they really should continue teaching grammar because people these days get even more careless with proper grammar; especially because of text messaging.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:32 am
Reading grammar books helps, but a lot of people don't do that.

Instead I think we learn from reading excessively and being in higher English classes than our peers (or, if you're no longer in school, you may have previously been in higher classes), thus being taught more about grammar than others who can't process the information.  

s0prano42_x3

blueturnsgrey

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:54 am
I'd say being a reading really does help a lot. I do find a lot of people saying, "Oh reading, I hate to read. It's just awful." And I also find those people "txt tlk" or however you spell that.

But my mother was a big help with grammar as well. She helped with my vocabulary, too, because when she gets mad her vocabulary improves ten-fold.

I also learned some grammar rules from my Latin class.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:24 pm
I also think that it's a problem about not reinforcing the rules and the lack of interest in the subject. Although, our school does seem to be a bit better than the other stories I'm hearing on this thread.

The last time I remember actually getting a lesson on grammar is two years ago in ninth grade... there might have been some in tenth, but I don't remember any. I'd say in tenth grade "English" class became more like a class on literature, being expected to be able to write and graded down if we missed something. All this year we haven't had any lessons I would call a real lesson on grammar.  

Bladeglory

Shy Werewolf

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:10 pm
blueturnsgrey
I'd say being a reading really does help a lot. I do find a lot of people saying, "Oh reading, I hate to read. It's just awful." And I also find those people "txt tlk" or however you spell that.

But my mother was a big help with grammar as well. She helped with my vocabulary, too, because when she gets mad her vocabulary improves ten-fold.

I also learned some grammar rules from my Latin class.

I'm one of those people who never really liked reading. However, I was usually stringent with the little writing I did.

LOL@ mom's vocabulary. "Mommy I don't understand you when you're mad!" rofl  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:21 pm
LiefBlade
I also think that it's a problem about not reinforcing the rules and the lack of interest in the subject. Although, our school does seem to be a bit better than the other stories I'm hearing on this thread.

The last time I remember actually getting a lesson on grammar is two years ago in ninth grade... there might have been some in tenth, but I don't remember any. I'd say in tenth grade "English" class became more like a class on literature, being expected to be able to write and graded down if we missed something. All this year we haven't had any lessons I would call a real lesson on grammar.

Yes, you're right. There's no point in teaching something if there's no follow through. Teachers need to reinforce grammar. Maybe there is no need for new grammar lessons after grade 9, but I'm convinced there is a need for refresher lessons after that. When grading papers, the teachers need to allocate a certain number of marks for grammar and spelling. And I think this should extend to all classes that require significant writing (e.g. history, geography, science), not only English class.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Aithera

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:18 pm
I remember in Grade 7, when we got a stencil on how to use quotation marks. I almost cried when I saw how bad my class was at using them.

I learned how to use quotation marks when I was in kindergarten!

To answer the question, I picked up my grammar skills mostly from reading books. I also wrote a lot when I was little, and (oh no, the shame) Word's spell check actually taught me many of the basic rules. I pretty much taught myself from there.

Also, I know that certain things just sound wrong. If it sounds wrong, it probably is.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff