Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Untitled?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kirb-sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 am
Does anyone else find that when saying a word aloud, you spell it out in your mind?

For example, I say 'the' aloud, then a think t-h-e in my mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:13 am
kirb-sama
Does anyone else find that when saying a word aloud, you spell it out in your mind?

Not I. I''ve become fluent enough in spoken or written word that I simply see the meaning, and have no need to spell it out. When I read, I can get into a state where I no longer see the words written on the page, the things happening play out so vividly in my mind's eye.  

Shade Skypage

Angelic-Sargeant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:33 am
Shinta Hitokiri
kirb-sama

Not I. I''ve become fluent enough in spoken or written word that I simply see the meaning, and have no need to spell it out. When I read, I can get into a state where I no longer see the words written on the page, the things happening play out so vividly in my mind's eye.
Ditto about the reading. I love to read novels.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:48 am
I don't spell out the word in my head unless I am typing it. Which is why I make a lot of typos sometimes when I am tired because I can type faster than I can think, which is kind of sad. Oh well.  

Chase Keyhole

The Shoe Pile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:26 pm
No, I suck at that sort of thing. When I think about a word, my finger automatically starts writing it in mid-air. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:37 pm
Shinta Hitokiri
kirb-sama

No, I know the meaning, I just spell it out in my head after I say it.  

kirb-sama

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:50 pm
Shinta Hitokiri
kirb-sama

Yeah, because you're the only one that has the extent of imagination to do that, right? neutral

I spend so much goddamned time on MSN and Gaia that almost everything I say I imagine in an MSN window, so it's automatically being spelled out in my imagination.. but lame.. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 am
ARMAGEDDON12
Shinta Hitokiri
kirb-sama

Not I. I've become fluent enough in spoken or written word that I simply see the meaning, and have no need to spell it out. When I read, I can get into a state where I no longer see the words written on the page, the things happening play out so vividly in my mind's eye.

Very nice. My personal favorite, as far as authors go is Matthew Stover. His writing style is incredible. In any story, it involves the main character getting from point A to point B. The thing is, with Stover's writing, he puts you in the psyche of the character. He wrote the book version of Revenge of the Sith, and I have to say, it's incredible. This is the opening piece before the introduction. (The intro is definitely worth reading in this, as well).

This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
It is already over. Nothing can be done to change it.
It is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal, courage
and sacrifice and the death of dreams. It is a story of the blurred
line between our best and our worst.
It is the story of the end of an age.
A strange thing about stories—
Though this all happened so long ago and so far away that
words cannot describe the time or the distance, it is also happening
right now. Right here.
It is happening right now as you read these words.
This is how twenty-five millennia come to a close. Corruption
and treachery have crushed a thousand years of peace. This is not
just the end of a republic; night is falling on civilization itself.
This is the twilight of the Jedi.
The end starts now.  

Shade Skypage

Once Was

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:14 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
Shinta Hitokiri
kirb-sama

Yeah, because you're the only one that has the extent of imagination to do that, right? neutral

I spend so much goddamned time on MSN and Gaia that almost everything I say I imagine in an MSN window, so it's automatically being spelled out in my imagination.. but lame.. xd

I'm the same way! With imagining the window...Except with Gaia. If I do a lot of roleplaying that day, my dreams continue with what I was roleplaying and how I think it'll be played out. But it's not people I see the posts and avatars to go a long with it...It's kind of pathetic really. But at the same time I can picture what's happening beyond the words. (Does that make sense? It doesn't to me when read but I know what I mean.)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:32 am
Once Was
Marcus McFlufferson

I spend so much g----d time on MSN and Gaia that almost everything I say I imagine in an MSN window, so it's automatically being spelled out in my imagination.. but lame.. xd

I'm the same way! With imagining the window...Except with Gaia. If I do a lot of roleplaying that day, my dreams continue with what I was roleplaying and how I think it'll be played out. But it's not people I see the posts and avatars to go a long with it...It's kind of pathetic really. But at the same time I can picture what's happening beyond the words. (Does that make sense? It doesn't to me when read but I know what I mean.)

I can get into the reading zone myself. The words register, but in much the same way as background noise would while watching a movie. Haven't dreamed about text windows, but I did dream about colored blocks once. I blame Super Puzzle Fighter.
I know I've spent too much time on text-muds, though. The mental insertion of things like "osay" before comments now and then (while I'm talking to people) is just weird. Thankfully, I haven't got bad enough to say it out loud.. yet.

With writing or typing, I find that if I actually think about how to spell the word in question, I'm much more likely to misspell it, or completely forget how to spell it and then have to look it up. Sad but true.  

Setsu-P has stepped out

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:42 am
I don't really speak english out loud but I type in it! Though when I do speak it I have to spell out the words before I say them so I don't insult some one by mistakes. I do that sometimes for japanese too.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:13 am
ARMAGEDDON12
Shinta Hitokiri
kirb-sama

Me too! One of my favourite things to do is read!  

WhatCassieDid

Nyabula

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:03 am
I don't spell out simple words in my head, though with harder words i may occasionaly. I see your point, if I was going to say something important using a word I dont use often I have been known to do that. Im pretty fluent though im trying to learn new words. My vocabulary is what you would call limited.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games