Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What type of magic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MinervaEvenstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:08 pm
The best description I've read about magic in a fantasy series was Young Wizards by Diane Duane. She explains it as a mystical sort of science. Not to suggest that I don't LOVE that Harry Potter books, but I strongly disagree with that portayel of magic. Waving a wand and saying a few words doesn't make magic, for magic is inherent. As in Young Wizards and The Wheel of Time, objects can help a witch focus, but spells can always be cast without objects, if not as strongly, because the magic is inside the person not the item. Sure, Muggles can't do anything with a wand, but most HP wizards can't do anything without a wand and...I'm ranting; I'd better stop. sweatdrop

I love forests and feel a strong connection to trees (explains why the Ents in LotR effected me so much), hence I suspect I'd be some type of earth mage. My magic would definitely be more about my intent and not the words I said (Eragon anyone?). As for a mental ability: Telepathy, no doubt. It's infinitely useful to be able to communicate with people over great distances without needing a device, and once I got married I'd take delight in being able to read the mind of my spouse during passionate activities to know precisely what they desired and when they wanted it. wink

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 pm
i, being a book writer myself, had to ask myself what type of magic would be in my book. i find that in many of the books that any magic-weilder that became evil are unstopably powerful, because the type of magic they use in the book have no reasonable limits. i think that the type of magic is defined by two things,
1: what they said in the begining, elemental, spell, ect.
2: and limitations.
the type that i use in my book is more on the elemental side, and the charaters can use as much as they like only if they use to much than they die burning_eyes the reason that i did not chose spell is because, usually, emotion has nothing to do with power. the same thing with all of the other magics exept elemental. cool  

flaming ember 123

eda bell

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:38 am
I would love to be in contact with the elements (earth, air, fire and water)
I don't know why it just seems useful

p.s. I would also like to be able to heal, but this would be harder because I'd have to make some really hard decisions  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:06 am
i would like to have the power that wizards have. as in the you-can-do-anything-you-want kinds. excpt that those things have limitations and such. but its still cool  

pkmn1995

Espeonies132

Friendly Regular

5,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Well, I would like to have the power to have Wings like Tinkerbell does and have the power of Power Rangers. Yeah, I crave for Power Rangers but it seems that it is so technology for this guild. So I decided that I would have the power of light. I totally like light. The light is blinding and it lightens the dark. I don't really know why I love light power.

And hey I totally like the power to morph into animals like Beast Boy does in Teen Titans. I love animals also so it fit.

Or even a wizard in the "The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey" Movie. The last wizard. I don't know his name but I do remember theres "the Brown" after his name and I do like what he does. He looks after the forest and I like the gem that he uses to take away the dark magic inside the animal.

What you guys think of my choices?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 pm
Espeonies132

Well, I would like to have the power to have Wings like Tinkerbell does and have the power of Power Rangers. Yeah, I crave for Power Rangers but it seems that it is so technology for this guild. So I decided that I would have the power of light. I totally like light. The light is blinding and it lightens the dark. I don't really know why I love light power.

And hey I totally like the power to morph into animals like Beast Boy does in Teen Titans. I love animals also so it fit.

Or even a wizard in the "The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey" Movie. The last wizard. I don't know his name but I do remember theres "the Brown" after his name and I do like what he does. He looks after the forest and I like the gem that he uses to take away the dark magic inside the animal.

What you guys think of my choices?

The brown wizard from The Hobbit is Radagast.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas