I'm Pagan and prefer the city

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:27 pm
Here's a topic before I go to bed. It was kinda touched on by myself in other threads, but I feel like making a new topic.

How do you people see the city? Personally, I love it and revel in the atmosphere, even if it does include the one-armed homeless guys that begs in the metro near my university.

How do you people see it?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:51 am
Personally I live in what is considered a small city. It doesn't have any skyscrapers and you can actually have a yard but it is still a city because of it's size and population. I like to be near some woods, lately my friend and I have been going on nature walks. And on one of these I happended to find a wand. xd

Edit: I should probably also add I love the country I feel at home there. I don't mind the city and just applied for a job in the city but I don't think I could live there.  

Ayla Skye

Creepy Albino Fish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:21 am
I'm a fan of the country.. I live in a small rural town. But I like visiting cities. I usually hang out in a couple close ones with friends. I don't know if I could live there because I have a tendancy to collect animals and I don't know if that would be acceptable to have so many in a city..lol  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:57 am
I hate cities.

Okay, well, I can tolerate them for some period of time, but real, metro big cities, I hate.
I love parts of Atlanta (Little Five Points, for example), but the rest, it's makes me feel angry and clausterphobic, and I do have a small case of agoraphobia. Driving around them is terrible (thusly, I got into a car accident last wednesday and it was totally NOT my fault at all), walking is even worse, public transit is annoying and complicated, there's always road work and detours, there's not a spot of green, people are isolated islands with no care for the stranger next to them. It's all point A to point B.

I can be in a city, I grew up ghetto, I know how to deal with people there.
But I can't live there.

Getting all your minerals in one breath just doesn't appeal to me, for some reason or another...

Older cities, like Savannah, and ones that are better planned and more spread out, I'm better with. I actually love Savannah. But Atlanta seems like a different country all together from it, eons away.

I love the country. The more isolated the better.

My grandparents owned their own land on a mountain and it was beautiful. I'd give so much to be able to live like that again... Able to grow my own food, relish in the sudden clearings under a canopy of trees, be able to see all of the stars...  

Jezehbelle

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:07 am
I love the city.

I've lived in cities all my life. I actually feel out of place when I get too far out in the country. There seems to be so much emphasis on nature in a lot of pagan paths, which I wholeheartedly understand, but times are also changing. Fact is, I don't have to harvest my own food anymore. So why should I celebrate a harvest holiday? That kind of thing. I find it far more meaningful to celebrate the day the daffodils pop out on the highway I travel every day to college. It's the difference between living in the city and the country. The city is a different world.

There are different ways of interacting with a city too. City spirits and such...

Don't get me wrong, I love a good walk in the natural bits I get to. Went for a lovely walk on the beach today... But it's often made even more enjoyable by the contrast of the hectic everyday city so that I really appreciate the calm I get in nature.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:09 pm
I prefer the burbs. lots of trees and flowers and such, with all the conveniance of civilization smile  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:21 pm
Christina Prince
I prefer the burbs. lots of trees and flowers and such, with all the conveniance of civilization smile
I've lived in the burds my whole life, and there is a nice balance between country and city. However, it can easily slide from balance into festeringly mind-numblingy boring when there's not enough nature to lose yourself in and not enough culture to explore.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:23 pm
Pelta
I love the city.

I've lived in cities all my life. I actually feel out of place when I get too far out in the country. There seems to be so much emphasis on nature in a lot of pagan paths, which I wholeheartedly understand, but times are also changing. Fact is, I don't have to harvest my own food anymore. So why should I celebrate a harvest holiday? That kind of thing. I find it far more meaningful to celebrate the day the daffodils pop out on the highway I travel every day to college. It's the difference between living in the city and the country. The city is a different world.

There are different ways of interacting with a city too. City spirits and such...

Don't get me wrong, I love a good walk in the natural bits I get to. Went for a lovely walk on the beach today... But it's often made even more enjoyable by the contrast of the hectic everyday city so that I really appreciate the calm I get in nature.
I must agree on the harvest. Spring makes a difference though, so I'd still celebrate that.

I'm still waiting to do so, we had a tiny cold snap and it snowed AGAIN.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:21 am
Nihilistic Seraph
I must agree on the harvest. Spring makes a difference though, so I'd still celebrate that.

Spring arrived here just two weeks ago! blaugh

It's so wonderful! We've had four days straight of glorious sunshine! It's this kind of stuff that deserves celebration! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 am
I think the labels "City" and "Country" are really broad. Not all areas of the city or country are the same. It's not black and white, there's a lot of gray area!

Please each city is really different, and each PART of each city is different. I grew up in upstate NY in a 250 year old house... our town had a gas station and a one store... so that'd be Country. Then, when I was 20, I ended up in AZ with my family helping them out (long story). While the place (Sedona) was great for relaxing, hiking, meditation etc... I had a lot of trouble there. There were no bookstores... and instead of a bookstore being a 20 minute drive to the next town like I'd grown up with... it was 45 to 60 minutes away. There was almost no middle class, which was really weird... and a lot of other problems.

I tried living in San Francisco for a bit, but it was hard to be near stuff without being in the middle of a loud city.

In the end I've ended up living in West Hollywood 1/2 to 2/3rds of the time... it has parks, grass, trees, and great bookstores and coffee shops.. AND a great pagan community (one of the best I think!). When I need my "country" fix I go back to Sedona for a few weeks. It's working pretty well. I still miss the time I used to spend in other towns near where I grew up... having a small main street, but one with coffee shops and benches where could sit and draw, yet still being very country.

So for now I do BOTH the city and the country, a back and forth deal... but I think eventually I'll end up back east somewhere in MASS or up in Flagstaff here in AZ... in a town that has woods and plenty of fresh air, but also plenty of culture... I'm always going to be a small town coffee shop artist and writer. smile

Blessed be,
Jessica Cathryn AKA Tree  

JessicaCathryn

Anima Lux

Fashionable Star

11,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:25 am
I enjoy the cities. Even though, li'l ol' country girl me, I get overwhelmed by them fairly easily. Still, all the bustle and excitement, all the people.. whee

It's fun. But, still, I like the country. It's quiet and laid back. And I feel more centered and in-touch with my nautrey side (gee, wonder why? rofl ) when I'm in the country. I'm pretty psyched, too, because after living in the city for about two years my boyfriend and I are moving into his old family house waaaay up on a mountain in (practically) the middle of nowhere. Should be interesting. X)

Well, I guess I should clarify my decision, really: I like the city in the winter and the country the rest of the time. Especially spring. It's so pretty right now.

**rambleramble** >__>;

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:16 am
Pelta
Nihilistic Seraph

It's so wonderful! We've had four days straight of glorious sunshine! It's this kind of stuff that deserves celebration! biggrin

We're getting hail. Yay...  

Curiously Fruity

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:33 pm
.Curiously.Fruity.
Pelta
Nihilistic Seraph

Our Easter this year was colder than our last Christmas here..

. _. Georgia weather is a tease.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:03 pm
Jezehbelle
.Curiously.Fruity.
Pelta
Nihilistic Seraph

Our Easter this year was colder than our last Christmas here..

. _. Georgia weather is a tease.

Eits gloabal werming u gueys  

Curiously Fruity

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas