Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grapes of Wrath: Bad grammar or good book? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What did you think of "Grapes of Wrath"?
  The grammar was atrocious.
  It was a great book with lots of life lessons!
  It was a great book that depicted life in the Great Depression.
  I haven't an opinion.
View Results

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:51 pm
I've never read Lord of the Flies or The Grapes of Wrath.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:33 pm
Interesting.  

Subservient Nonentity

Kohy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:51 pm
I haven't read either of these books, but if it does help you to understand it better, it probably is a good idea to go about fixing the grammar to help you enjoy the book itself.

I had a similar problem when reading Crick Crack Monkey. Like many West Indian novels, Crick Crack Monkey uses the West Indian dialect to its heart content. They even needed a glossary at the back of the book to give an explanation to a lot of the words used that was either Creole or not a word whatsoever, simply made-up words. It gets annoying fast, as the grammar at some parts were atrocious, but I'm often familiar to hearing people speak like this so it was easy to get around. But there were parts of the book that I needed to change the wording and sentence structure just to get through it without ripping it in half.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:19 pm
You're 'bad grammar' is crucial to the feel of the novel, of the destitute Okies, etc.
In his other books, where the grammar is similar, I might add that we are discussing more undeducated folks and...though it may step on toes, it really adds character. If a reader can only handle the manner of speaking in which they were raised, there is only a narrow selection of readable books
Ex. Shakespeare had rather questionable grammar and spelling, but do we crucify him for it?  

dancing-in-the-streets

Miko_Sohma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 pm
Dialect in novels can be hard to read, I agree. My class was supposed to read Huck Finn, which, as mentioned before, is extremely difficult to get through; the entire thing is written in the Southern rural dialect of the 1800s. The majority of the class could not get through it at all. I will admit, the style does add to the reader's understanding of the characters...but I never did finish that book. gonk

Over the summer I have to read Grapes of Wrath, and I'm thinking I might have a hard time with it. But Steinbeck really is a very good author; I particularly enjoyed Of Mice and Men, so maybe I'll like this one, too. Good luck to anyone else who is reading it! 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:27 pm
Dialect is important in literature because it enhances your perspective of the characters.  

saotomi5102

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces