Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Anyone know how to make/edit an umbrella? D:<

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

`we use our parasols when it rains
  Because we know it's the only time,
  The sun will shine on our heads.
View Results

poo1232

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 pm
The character I'm cosplaying as in September has an umbrella companion that I'd like to have with me. The problem is, that the umbrella has a unique color and I suppose form to it.

Reference images:
User Image User Image User Image

I'd like to get as close as possible. So if anyone knows of a tutorial on how to make or edit parasols or umbrella's I'd be grateful ^^

(Cosplay Thread)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 pm
I would find an inexpensive umbrella that is the right shape, and take off the cloth, after noting how its attatched, and then re-attatch cloth of the appropriate color. I've seen umbrellas that had the fabric attatched to the frame with hot glue, thread, and one that i remember had little sleeves in the umbrella that the frame slid onto.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Pwzn

Magnetic Grabber

10,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:45 am
d.grayman!
Actually I wanted to make one too. XP But the only thing I can do is the pumpkin on top.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:48 pm
Neat, thank you. ^^

---
As well, I'm using molding foam stuff for my pumpkin >> I found a bag of it so I'm like *shweet* I'm working on putting a little sound bit in it though so that when you hit the pumpkin or squeeze it it'll go "Rero!"

poo1232

peachkitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:24 pm
kochi~mochi
I would find an inexpensive umbrella that is the right shape, and take off the cloth, after noting how its attatched, and then re-attatch cloth of the appropriate color. I've seen umbrellas that had the fabric attatched to the frame with hot glue, thread, and one that i remember had little sleeves in the umbrella that the frame slid onto.

do you know if that will last. i intend to mak some umbrellas myself so i just want to know if it will stay together.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Hey I used to have an umbrella like that! Except w/o the pumpking... and it was black. But the crook/cane part & length was about the same!

Antimony & Lace has a Tut: http://www.gothfashion.info/parasol.php
but it's basically what kochi said with a little more detail.

If you know how to sew, it'd be awesome to make the pumpkin into a plushie!
That way, little chunks of foam don't break off when you whack people.

Sir Camm

150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Consumer 0

poo1232

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:05 pm
Sir Camm

Hey I used to have an umbrella like that! Except w/o the pumpking... and it was black. But the crook/cane part & length was about the same!

Antimony & Lace has a Tut: http://www.gothfashion.info/parasol.php
but it's basically what kochi said with a little more detail.

If you know how to sew, it'd be awesome to make the pumpkin into a plushie!
That way, little chunks of foam don't break off when you whack people.

That's a cute idea ^^
I think I have a pumkin plusie pattern too O
:  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:20 pm
peachkitten
kochi~mochi

do you know if that will last. i intend to mak some umbrellas myself so i just want to know if it will stay together.

The ones that i've done like this have lasted a while, but then they were intended for one-time use, and weren't used to hit people upside the head much. mad D  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

spiffydesu

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:25 pm
If the umbrella is always closed, I recommend just finding an umbrella with the correct handle and just wrapping it with the correct color. That's just how it looks in the picture to me smile .
And it looks like you've got the pumpkin part covered biggrin .  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:19 pm
spiffydesu
If the umbrella is always closed, I recommend just finding an umbrella with the correct handle and just wrapping it with the correct color. That's just how it looks in the picture to me smile .
And it looks like you've got the pumpkin part covered biggrin .

That's how it seems to be going currently.
Though, I really want to figure out how to make a umbrella.
`twod be nifty.

poo1232

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces