Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Cross stitchers... Help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AvenTate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:45 pm
Any one else cross stitch? I was thinking about doing an sweat shirt. How do I start? I do mini cross stitch pics.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm
My mum does a lot of it, and I did a bit when I was a kid, to learn from her, but I never really got into it.

To start, you'll have to make a pattern razz  

Jennsplosions

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:57 pm
I don't know first hand, but I imagine you'll want to get some iron-on interfacing for the inside of the sweatshirt for stablization. They make these transfer pens and pencils that can be found at a Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You could transfer your pattern onto the sweatshirt that way. I'd get the pencil that creates an iron-on transfer.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:22 pm
I agree with all the transferring stuff. Have you actually stitched before?
I personally would recommend embroidery instead. I think it gives it a cleaner look, but it's up to you. I'm just making a suggestion 3nodding  

spiffydesu

5,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 pm
As far as I know there are two ways to do cross stitch on a shirt:

1. you get some of the water-dissolve stabilizer that they make for machine embroidery. some stores carry this with even perforations or weave so you can use it to cross stitch; and after you're done it dissolves in water.

2. (this is they way I did it) you get loose weave cross stitch fabric. The kind that unravels easily. Usually that's irritating because it wants to unravel your lovely picture, but for a sweatshirt it means you can pull the threads out with a tweezers after you are done.

either way you choose you lay the stuff down on the sweatshirt and pin or baste it to the shirt (I think the water soluble stuff might even iron on), making sure it is lined up nicely (so your Xes aren't crooked) Then you can put a hoop in if you need it, though usually you won't need it.

Then cross stitch like normal. You can use any cross stitch design. When you're done, carefuly pull or wash the stabilizer out, and viola! cross stitch on shirt!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:20 am
They also make some EZ-Graph stuff. You iron on the squares, work your cross-stitch, and then wash it away. The squares are gone, and you're left with your cross-stitching!

If you want to cross-stitch on a sweatshirt, though, I'd recommend turning it inside-out before washing it. You don't want the agitator to ruin your lovely work!  

Brunette_Star

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:02 pm
As long as you have a pattern and a decent ability with a needle, all you need is what's called "waste canvas". It's stiff cross stitch canvas, open weace, that you pin or baste to your project. You treat it like regular canvas when counting your stitches, and when you're done, you mist it with water and the threads pull out from under the stitches.

I'd recommend a small project if you're not fmailiar with it. My first was a pair of blue cat eyes with backstitched whiskers on a purple sweatshirt. In fact, I think I still have it somewhere. rofl  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games