Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
PRISM YARN

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

have you used prism yarn?
  yes, for knitting
  yes, for crochet
  no, and i don't plan to
View Results

fashionista468

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:34 pm
has anyone here used prism for a knitting project? I used it once but i think it is really overpriced ($50/half skein)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:21 pm
eek what makes it that speacail question  

tomato green

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:30 pm
Yikes, that's expensive! eek I guess I won't be using it any time soon unless by some strange coincidence it shows up at Goodwill. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:12 pm
I don't understand gonk What's Prism yarn?  

rheane

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 pm
It's beautiful! I did a quick Google and found some yarn pr0n's to look at. ^^ Oogle Prism Yarns here.

That site has Kid Slique for $21.00 a half-skein, not too terrible. It would probably knit up so beautifully, the colors in the yarn are really nice and vibrant. I'd splurge if I had a project in mind that didn't call for more than 2 skeins.. a bag or a hat or purse would be so nice made from Prism. :3

The Wild Stuff and Neat Stuff, the $50 variety.. well the project would have to be extra special for me to spend that much. It is beautiful yarn though.. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:06 pm
Mmm, yarn pr0ns....

I love reading that *giggle*

It IS lovely yarn, though

but I must say, I prefer a plain old good wool. Maybe I'm simpleminded?  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 pm
I've used it, but since I hate mohair, I was less than impressed. Trendsetters had something sorta like it called Dune. I don't know if they still make it, but I'm pretty sure it was less expensive.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:16 pm
I honestly fail to see whats so spectacular about it.... I mean, it looks like it'd be nifty, but thats so expensive!

Also, when it comes to yarns i prefer simpler yarns that show stitches well, unless i have a specific project in mind, or have seen a knit item that turned out so beautifully in this particular yarn that it convinced me to use something other then a plain type yarn. I mean, i'm not even fond of the varagated yarns. Except Homespun, its my one out of the standard worsted weight yarn.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:43 am
I can understand why it's so expensive; It's like self striping yarn but instead of just changing colors like K1C2's Paintbox or the everpresent Noro Kureyon it also changed textures, colors and fiber content.

If, as it claims, it is mostly handworked that means alot of sorting, blending and tying of short pieces of fiber. I noticed in one of the close ups that the silk has natural slubs in it, like raw silk fabric which creates interest (and raises the price). They also seem to sock in a few luxury fibers like angora, Alpaca, Mohair and Cashmere in the skeins which are also pricey. If you add in the fact that it's handpainted you can see why it's so expensive.

Still, I can get a yard of good silk for less than a half skein of that yarn, and I'm sure there is far more fiber in it. Prism looks like a luxury yarn for people who have lots of money and want to let the yarn do all of thier work for them.

One of the knitters I knit with went to NYC last weekend and visited a small new Japanese yarn store (which I cannot for the life of me remember the name, I'll see if I can find it later). While it didn't carry Prism, it did carry all handdyed luxury fibers: Silk, cashmere, egyptian cotton. A few of them were also handspun. She compared it to a visit to a sushi bar: lots of atmosphere, lots of wonderful things to look at but when you're done you have a high bill and not alot of stuff on your plate (and she even said they gave her a little plate-like dish to collect her yarn rather than a basket) She came back with 3 skeins of yarn, each of them 1/2 an ounce of fiber, tightly woven into little yarn-packs very much like sushi; and admitted that she dropped over $70 at the place. The yarns were beautiful... but not necesarily better than a good $7-8 skein of solidly made cotton or wool. She said she wouldn;t go there again, but the experience was worth the price once. Prism is probably much the same.

I like looking at it. I would love to get my hands on a skein just to feel it and look at it but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy it. I like my wool.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 am
Wow, that's WAAAY out of a teaching intern's budget! Hand-worked mohair yarn? Wow.

Still, before I pay THAT much for yarn, the phrase "14K" had better be in the fiber content!  

Brunette_Star

julyrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:43 am
eek Ouchies! That is quite a bit too rich for MY blood.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games