Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Comma help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you good at punctuation?
Yes.
93%
 93%  [ 15 ]
No.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

mollycule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:10 am
I have this huge thing on how bad I am at punctuating with commas. Even when I try, I usually end up doing a, "Comma Splice". Does anyone have any pointers that I could follow to hopefully improve my comma use?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:49 pm
I usually just try saying the sentence out loud if I'm not sure. If I pause, I put a comma. smile  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Amphion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:17 pm
To avoid comma splices: Read each part of the sentence out loud. If each one could stand on its own as a complete sentence, you're dealing with a comma splice:

I went to the store, there were no eggs.

This can become:

I went to the store; there were no eggs.

or

I went to the store. There were no eggs.

or

I went to the store, but there were no eggs.

Hope that helps!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:44 am
Thanks guys! That helped a lot. I just hope when I read outloud my parents don't think I'm crazy. Hahah. smile  

mollycule

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:08 am
I agree with the posters above, and also, if you truly do need help, I suggest peer tutoring and extra practice. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:23 pm
Well I can't think of any right now.But maybe some of these sentences will help?

"Hi", Jone said, "how are you doing, Casey?"

Like, use one after saying someone's name.  

Zombielight

Enen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 pm
mollycule
Thanks guys! That helped a lot. I just hope when I read outloud my parents don't think I'm crazy. Hahah. smile

Yes yes.
"I went to get some pancakes but the guy said, "You can't have any crack."
I was confused.... and so on.
I could see someone reading that at there computer and looking towards the door and seeing there parents raise there eyebrow at them, "I don't want to know.." and walk away.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:35 pm
It gets better- I got in the habit of reading papers out loud, sentence by sentence. The only thing is, one of my professors got me in the habit of starting at the last sentence and working my way backward. It really helps with essays, but it really sounds crazy if someone overhears!  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:53 pm
mollycule
I have this huge thing on how bad I am at punctuating with commas. Even when I try, I usually end up doing a, "Comma Splice". Does anyone have any pointers that I could follow to hopefully improve my comma use?

First, I would like to mention that you don't need a comma between "...end up doing a" and "'Comma Splice'." Also, the period after "Comma Splice" belongs inside the quotations (I never liked that rule).

I can't think of any tips other than to try saying it out loud, but if you need help, feel free to PM me. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:18 am
This is how you use commas:

First, they're used to set apart unnecessary, although interesting, information in a sentence (a good example being the 'although interesting' in this one).
Next, they're used to separate independent clauses with a conjunction (example: I went to the party, but I didn't have fun.).
They're also used to separate introductions and...

Oh, screw it. Here.

THIS WILL TEACH YOU  

Sanami2315

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas