5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Primarily A&amp;S.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Some combination of these.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Do? I just sit around and contemplate my belly-button lint.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Jette Vala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:28 am
keetabirdy
Well, since I'm rather new to the SCA, my skills are lacking a bit, but I'm learning. I'm learning how to hand stitch things with stitches they used in the period and am learning to adapt my cross-stitching skills to blackwork. I am also learning to knit more proficently, though I'm not really sure knitting is period?

Knitting is sort of period. It's similar to Naalbinding that the Norse used to do.... to knit socks, I think. XD I'm learning to knit as well, and I was researching the possibility of knitting in period, when Naalbinding crossed my path. It's the same idea as knitting, weaving loops together to make fabric, but it's a little more complex, and done with a single needle that I think looks something like a tapestry needle. I could be wrong, I can't find much for information. ^^;

So, um.. Yay knitting and the like. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:52 pm
I do illumination, period embroidery (which I'm hoping to embroider an award scroll for A&S competition), embroider on leather, leather carving, I garb all the newbies in our area, period cookery, and I am hoping to learn weaving and herbalism. I like archery, but I haven't been able to replace my bow since it broke, and I want to get a set of throwing knives, once I've replaced the dead target in my back yard. I don't fight, but I'm hoping to get into it, if I get the doctors' okay.  

Anghared Starwing

Generous Shapeshifter

6,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Regular 100

(((rasberry~kimiko)))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:36 am
hmm...well.... I cook, I'd like to learn to fight (and am working on it) a friend from my clan taught me a drum beat and I've been picking up a few others, and that's pretty much it. oh, and I throw spears, but not well.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:56 am
Fall of the Daystar
keetabirdy
Well, since I'm rather new to the SCA, my skills are lacking a bit, but I'm learning. I'm learning how to hand stitch things with stitches they used in the period and am learning to adapt my cross-stitching skills to blackwork. I am also learning to knit more proficently, though I'm not really sure knitting is period?

Knitting is sort of period. It's similar to Naalbinding that the Norse used to do.... to knit socks, I think. XD I'm learning to knit as well, and I was researching the possibility of knitting in period, when Naalbinding crossed my path. It's the same idea as knitting, weaving loops together to make fabric, but it's a little more complex, and done with a single needle that I think looks something like a tapestry needle. I could be wrong, I can't find much for information. ^^;

So, um.. Yay knitting and the like. ^_^

Here's some naalbinding links that might help you out.

http://www.stringpage.com/naal/naal.html

http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/naalbinding-msg.html

http://www.regia.org/naalbind.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/zine/kiarapanther/project/naalbinding.html

Hope these help you out.  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 am
A very good question.

I don't have a set role, mostly because I lack time, money and talent to fill any one niche very well.

I have participated in a handful of heavy weapon practices.
I have participated in a handful of fencing practices. I was told that my foot work would make me a good fencer but I know my ability there is the product of three years of Aikido, not natural talent.

I can assist with garb making, primarily with those who are kindly making me garb. I am trying to sew cloth napkins to go with my feast gear, but I don't have a sewing machine or the patience for hand sewing.

I have shot a bow several times. One lord who lent me his bow this past weekend said he had an old bow that he would give to me. exclaim He said it still passed inspection, but didn't know for how long it would so he wouldn't charge me for it. A few bows with it as well.

My love would be Heraldry and history but due to time constraints I've had to focus on my own persona rather than helping others who are scattered far and wide cross the shire. I do hope to improve in this area and to become of true assistance to our group in this field. Our shire does have a herald already, but no one minds me taking it up as well.

Is cross stitch in any way period? I can do that, but not embroidery or other needle work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:20 am
Sir_Catherine

Is cross stitch in any way period? I can do that, but not embroidery or other needle work.

... well, the stitch itself is period, but wasn't used as a primary stitch in Europe till about the late 17th century, I believe. If you can cross stitch, though, you could easily adapt your skills to blackwork.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 pm
LittleGreenGirl
Sir_Catherine

... well, the stitch itself is period, but wasn't used as a primary stitch in Europe till about the late 17th century, I believe. If you can cross stitch, though, you could easily adapt your skills to blackwork.

What is blackwork? So, no one would complain to loudly if I did cross stich at an SCA event to pass the time?  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff