Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I thought you all might like this...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:03 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I officially like "For Better or For Worse". xd

I saw this in my newspaper's Sunday comics, and the first thing I thought was "Gaia!" Well, more specifically, "Gaian Grammar Guild!". But I thought the former first. Anyways, enjoy!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:48 am
xd I bet that someone will tell you that most students aren't like these.

Here's an article about the comic.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:17 am
Huh... Interesting. 3nodding I've never really read For Better or for Worse, but this comic was cool.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:44 am
Quote:
What kills me is the idea that, for 99.99% of the educated American public, this is what "grammar" is: a laundry list of half-remembered strictures against certain forms and usages, understood as commandments from on high about How To Do Right, not even dignified with a discussion of what the proscribed forms and usages actually are, grammatically speaking. Nonstandard irregular verb forms in the English perfect?

I think that article had a point. Do most teachers discuss why it's right or wrong? I know mine didn't, but I make it a point to. whee  

Patron with a Mission

l3viathan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:51 am
Thank you for sharing this comic. It was a good read. X3  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:53 am
dameonmac5918
Quote:
What kills me is the idea that, for 99.99% of the educated American public, this is what "grammar" is: a laundry list of half-remembered strictures against certain forms and usages, understood as commandments from on high about How To Do Right, not even dignified with a discussion of what the proscribed forms and usages actually are, grammatically speaking. Nonstandard irregular verb forms in the English perfect?

I think that article had a point. Do most teachers discuss why it's right or wrong? I know mine didn't, but I make it a point to. whee

This is the type of thing I was asking about when I asked about where, when and how people learn grammar. In Canada, we learn this stuff in French class, but not in English class. We spent so much time on litterature and nearly none on grammare. They expect people to get it by osmosis, and in my opinion, that's just not a good way of learning something well.  

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:18 pm
abarrach
dameonmac5918
Quote:

This is the type of thing I was asking about when I asked about where, when and how people learn grammar. In Canada, we learn this stuff in French class, but not in English class. We spent so much time on litterature and nearly none on grammare. They expect people to get it by osmosis, and in my opinion, that's just not a good way of learning something well.

I agree with you. I believe the only way to learn something well is to understand why it's done that way, in addition with hands-on training.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:23 pm
That's hilarity in itself, but, I think it's saying that you can use Grammar and sound smart, but not use Grammar and sound cool. It's just what I think.

LexiHulan

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:50 pm
Hahaha!

Yeah, that comic comes in my newspaper. It's awesome!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games