Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar Question!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever ask for help with grammar?
Sometimes.
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Never.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Deaf.Screams.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:45 pm
I'm writing a story but need a little help. I'll copy in part of the story:

"Sometimes he would turn on the television just to watch the body language of the latest senator or governor with something to hide. It was their eyes which always gave them away. He believed in the saying that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Many times he followed a story in which a person of acclaimed status talked to the people and lied."

Am I using the word 'accalimed' in the proper context? I know it's definition is : To praise enthusiastically and often publicly; applaud. To acknowledge or declare with enthusiastic approval. But am I right to use it this way?  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:15 am
Deaf.Screams.
I'm writing a story but need a little help. I'll copy in part of the story:

"Sometimes he would turn on the television just to watch the body language of the latest senator or governor with something to hide. It was their eyes which always gave them away. He believed in the saying that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Many times he followed a story in which a person of acclaimed status talked to the people and lied."

Am I using the word 'accalimed' in the proper context? I know it's definition is : To praise enthusiastically and often publicly; applaud. To acknowledge or declare with enthusiastic approval. But am I right to use it this way?

Sounds right to me...although you do need a comma after "many times." 3nodding Just thought I'd point that out.  

Patron with a Mission

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:32 am
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

That sounds alright. Other words you could use as well are prominent, esteemed and high.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:42 am
It is grammatically correct, but may I offer a suggestion?

'Many times he followed a story in which a person of acclaimed status talked to the people and lied.'

Could be more smoothly phrased as:

'He spent hours following the stories, catching every lie of the well-acclaimed.'

'He had lost track of how many of the 'well-acclaimed' he'd seen on TV, lying and lying, and lying some more. And he was the only one who could see it.'

Feel free to ignore me if I'm out of line, but 'in which' really bogs a sentence down.  

Rabid Hugs

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff