PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:01 pm
Game Name: Sonic and the Secret Rings
System: Nintendo Wii
Developer: Sega
Genre: Action-Adventure, Role-Playing
ESRB: [E] Everyone

Rankings

Appearance: 7/10

There are two visual qualities of the game. The quality that helps the game the most is the visual style present during game play. The quality that detracts from the game the most is the visual style present during event cut sequences. It was a development choice to render the cut sequences that way, but they really aren't all that appealing. On the flip side, the visualizations during the action sequences are stunning and quite intense. You can see where the game takes advantage of every bit of power available.

Details are never lost, from beginning to end. Near the beginning of the game, Sonic is cursed. This curse causes a flame to burst forth from his heart. Don't worry. It doesn't actually protrude from his chest. It floats above his chest, but it's location is above his heart. I just liked that way of describing it best. This detail is never lost. You always know its there. The one thing that isn't quite as obvious is the tiny band around his right, middle finger. You can hardly see it, but it's there.

All the detail and enamored work is in stark contrast to the story-book cut sequences. The game is 3D, but the developers chose to keep the cut sequences 2D. These "book" animated sequences may keep with the general idea that the adventure is taking place within the realm of a book, 1001 Arabian Nights, but this creates an unwelcome clash of visual styles. They could have easily created the book visualizations throughout the entire game or made the cut sequences as graphically detailed as the rest of the game. The patchwork graphic style isn't very becoming.

Audio: 3/10

There isn't one good thing I can say about the audio presentation of this game. The music selection is, as seems to have become a staple of Sonic the Hedgehog games, lousy. It doesn't fit the game or mood at all. Add on top of that my general dislike and belief in distaste of the musical genre, and you have a mix ripe for hating. This is where something as simple as allowing MP3 songs loaded from the SD memory card would come in handy.

That's not the end of the abominable audio, though! For whatever reason, the Japanese voice acting was cut completely and replaced with this wrenched stench of "we aren't actually interested in acting" voices! Even if the game takes advantage of the full audio capabilities of the Wii, it is hardly even worth turning on. The only reason to listen is to get that nostalgic feeling of, "Ah... What would Sonic be without the worst possible audio track ever imagined?"

::EDIT::
The score just went from 1 to 3 in audio because I found something that just made my day. The original Japanese voice track is still in the game! There are annoying parts, but it's a big boost to the value of the game. ...just not to the overall score. Sorry.

Physics: N/A

Game Play: 8/10

The saving grace of any Sonic the Hedgehog game. The role-playing elements are an interesting addition. Some might say they are unwelcome, but I say they add an element of challenge and fun to the game not present in any such title before. There's the element of suspense as you race through a level trying to gain as many points as you can so your ring can upgrade to something truly worthwhile. Even if you start off with a slow Sonic, which may bring a jaw-dropped look of surprise to any face, the upgrades available can make this the fastest Sonic the Hedgehog game ever created! There are upgrades for acceleration and attack that can truly make Sonic a force to be reckoned with. However. This game presents something interesting. The need for abundant control and maneuverability over speed.

Story: 6/10

Let's just say the story is passable. It takes as much advantage from 1001 Arabian Nights as humanly possible, but it just seems to fall short as it presents the elements from the djinn. It could be the deplorable voice acting, but it just seems they don't really have any more depth than trying to create another story for Sonic to pass through. What's most interesting is the use of Sonic the Hedgehog supporting cast. When you see Eggman (Dr. Robotnic) present as a good guy, you know you have an interesting mix!

Multiplayer: 1/10

Ugh... Just... Ugh! Throw this out to improve the game! These minigames add no value to the game in any imaginable form.

Replay: 6/10

If it weren't for the minigames available, deplorable audio, and barely par story, this score would be much higher. It's a fun game to play, but some elements just detract from the overall enjoyment of the game. There are still things to do after the game has been beaten. These include unlocking hidden scenarios, maxing out Sonic's levels, earning all the skills available, unlocking extras, and maximizing scores in given levels.

Extras: 4/10

These are not all that impressive. The least noteworthy are the minigames that are unlocked. Otherwise, there are some decent secret missions and movie/story clips that can be unlocked. Nothing really spectacular stands out.

Overall: 6.5/10

There is plenty of room for improvement. The game sells itself on in game visuals and overall game play, but it falls drastically short in other areas that can make or break the game. While there is plenty of enjoyment to be had, there has to be a message sent out that things need to be fixed. If the audio alone could be improved, there'd be a massive boost in overall appeal!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:33 pm
In my opinion, I think that the appearance and audio deserve a higher rating. The appearance, because I think the 2D cut sequences to 3D gameplay was good. I think the difference between the two styles work in putting you in a different mood. The 3D bits would put you in a "racing" mood, and the 2D bits lets your mind slow down. I also think the 2D parts are effective in giving that "storybook" feel ^.^

I disagree with the audio, 'cuz I think some of the tracks do work well, to set you in a "ready-to-blast-off" mood.

Well, that's my two cents. Otherwise, good review blaugh  

_CFTM
Crew

Ultima Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas