Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crap.... What did I get myself into?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:14 pm
Sooooo On the drive home from an Arena Football game today, the dumpster by our appartment had a little chair sitting by it. I asked Hubby to drive past it again so I can take a look at it. Got back to the dumpster and saw the fabric and webbing under the seat were torn and dry-rotted. So I decide "What the hell, fixing it can't be that hard... can it?" So we get it home and I start ripping off the musty (ugly) ruffle. The fabric was very ugly (imo anyway), I forgot to take before pics, but after an hour (maybe an hour and a half) of ripping, tearing, swearing, hitting my nuckles on the wood and pulling out (quite litterally) 400 nails (I think the previous owner had a nail gun and got bored) I found a lovely wood base to work off of. Picture biggrin So my whole point of this post is... *drumroll* To ask "what now?" My dad said it would probably be best to fill in the hole and have a solid seat and get/make a nice thick cushion and then staplegun some fabric around it and call it a day. What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:47 pm
I think your dad's suggestion would be good. To me, its about all you could do, i think, other then maybe doing some sanding and staining if you wanted it a different shade of wood.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:04 pm
kochi~mochi
I think your dad's suggestion would be good. To me, its about all you could do, i think, other then maybe doing some sanding and staining if you wanted it a different shade of wood.
It does need a good sanding, there are some rough spots on the back and rocker blades where splinters are bound to come out (got one in my finger while yanking out nails). I think I want to keep it that color so I think we'd go with a clear varnish, or a light stain. I had though about doing straps like what it had, but I would think if Nikki (my daughter) flopped down in it too hard the straping would rip/tear/break.
Any idea as far as what kind of fabric to use over the cushion?  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:58 pm
I like your father's suggestion too. ^^

I can't suggest you any fabric names, as I know hardly any in English... ^^; Something sturdy, but not to the point of becoming uncomfortable to sit on 3nodding

As you're going to leave the color as it is, I suggest a pastel-colored pattern to go with it. ^^ Or, if you want to take a contrary path, some graphical pattern with strong contrast, like black-and-white stripes. Although, in my opinion, this second option would work better with a darker chair.  

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:08 pm
Julia Pegasus
I like your father's suggestion too. ^^

I can't suggest you any fabric names, as I know hardly any in English... ^^; Something sturdy, but not to the point of becoming uncomfortable to sit on 3nodding

As you're going to leave the color as it is, I suggest a pastel-colored pattern to go with it. ^^ Or, if you want to take a contrary path, some graphical pattern with strong contrast, like black-and-white stripes. Although, in my opinion, this second option would work better with a darker chair.
Ok making the chair solid (well as solid as I can) is deffinately going to happen.

I love the idea of pastels with the light chair, My rocker/glider chair is light wood with light blue cushions, I think I want to do something like a spring green, light blue, light pink or maybey yellow, yellow could be fun with ribbons/fabric decorations. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:59 pm
you could fill in the hole with resin and suspend fun objects in it.

i've always wanted to do that.  

awkward little thing

Silver Sunrise

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 am
awkward little thing
you could fill in the hole with resin and suspend fun objects in it.

i've always wanted to do that.
Resin is that clear stuff they make gag toilet seats out of yes? There is the fishing peir in Corpus Christi that had a clear toilet seat with fish hooks in it. xd I so thought I was going to get stabed in the tush by a fish hook. rofl  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games