Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Using 'a' or 'an' before acronyms.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which would YOU say?
"a MOH"
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
"an MOH"
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

s0prano42_x3

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:56 pm
I just read a thread and it said something about the show "Masters of Horror." The writer later abbreviated it as "MOH." The context was as follows: "...when I finished watching it I watched a MOH special..."

Would it be correct to say "a" or "an"? I'm not sure, but to me it sounds better to say "an" before an acronym like that (if you're actually saying the letters and not the words).  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:30 pm
Hey guys! What's the hangup? Does no one like to reply to me? xd  

s0prano42_x3

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:00 pm
Well, think of the sound it makes. MOH: em-oh-atche. Specifically, it starts as 'em,' making a sound as that it started with a vowel. Since it's grammatically correct to use "an" when the next word starts with a vowel, I think it's better to go by the sound.  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:06 pm
But doesn't it depend on how you pronounce the acronym as well? Again, using said statement, is it correct to read "a MOH" as "a Masters Of Horror" or "an (em-oh-aych)"?

I guess what I mean is, should we read acronyms as the words the letters stand for or the letters themselves?  

s0prano42_x3

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:03 pm
It depends on the situation, I think. Online, I tend to read things as the words they stand for (if I know what the hell people are talking about!), but in real life, I just say the letters. I guess it's just trying to keep up with my brain that affects whether I use 'a' or 'an.'  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:02 am
I think how we read an acronym depends of the acronym. I mean, some things are commonly used as words. I'm blanking on examples. But if it's just a mix of letters, then I think it should have the "an." If you're cheering for a game, don't you usually cheer "give me an S"? cool Good question though! I really had to sit and think about what I would say.  

ChibiStarlet

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:40 pm
ChibiStarlet
But if it's just a mix of letters, then I think it should have the "an." If you're cheering for a game, don't you usually cheer "give me an S"? cool
But then again, the letter S is pronounced "ess". The sound would start with a vowel. What if you said, "Give me a B?" It sounds correct, right? So I'd have to agree with DarkElf27 on this one...  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:03 am
DarkElf27 is correct.  

zingebar

-l- Eli -l-

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:47 am
The reason why they said "a MOH" is because they were pronouncing the acronym as "mo." (At least, I hope so!) So in this case, it just depends on how it sounds in your head. If you look at that and see "mo," you'd say "a." If you look at that and see "em oh aich," you'd use "an."

And as far as I know, there's no set rule about how acronyms are pronounced... Some are accepted as being pronounced by what the letters spell out, and some are accepted as being said letter-by-letter. So this is one of those things you have to be flexible on.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:31 pm
Sorry to get picky but... how should we pronounce acronyms?!

There are three ways.

1: We could pronounce them letter-by-letter. "An em-oh-aich."
2: We could pronounce them as their own word. "A mo."
3: We could actually say the words they stand for. "A Masters of Horror."

Ahhh! I'm getting frustrated... is there one way that's correct or can it be all three?  

s0prano42_x3

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff