Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sewing Machines: Tell me About 'em

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thanks in advance
  :3
View Results

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:12 pm
I'm sure there's lots of people here with sewing machines. I'm in the market for one, and I'm just wondering what's good. So, if you have a sewing machine, please tell me a little about it, if you like it, how easy it is to use (and if you think a totally sewing machine noob will be able to figure out how to use it), and whatever else you think I should know about sewing machines.  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:39 pm
I own several.

I don;t suggest Singers unless you can get one that's an older model and in good condition. The newer ones (1990 and beyond) seem to be made out of mostly cheap parts and they seem to break down. However if you can find a 1960's model singer it will likely last for-freakin-ever

I have heard alot of good things about White sewing machines. I don't have a White sewing machine, but I have a White serger and I love it. I think Jo Ann's carries them as thier main brand now.

If you want the easiest to use machine ever, look and see if you can find an old Elna. I got mine for free from someone who swore it "didn't work" but all it needed was a tune up. I have an Elna ZZ and a SuperZ (both are 1970-something models) and I have never met a machine that was easier to thread and easier to use. They are simple, solid and basic. But if you find one, make sure you have an Elna bobbin. It's a swedish make machine and it takes a specific bobbin - normal store bought ones are Singer style and won't work.

The other big foreign names in machines besides Elna are Bernina and Pffaf. Thier new sewing machines are top of the line (and very expensive). I have used my Aunt's newer Pffaf and it's like sewing with a dream. For a lower budget looking for a good solid used machine of these brands is a good choice as well. Again you may need to seek out a sewing shop and get specific bobbins for them.

Hope that helps!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:13 am
singers have always done really well for me, and my mother, and my grandmother.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:19 am
My mom used to have a singer, and it broke down constantly. If you're going to get one, make sure it's at least 20 years old, though it might be hard to find replacement parts or service for an older one (I don't know).  

knitting_needle_ninja

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:10 am
I have an Elna Elnita225, a hand-me-down from my mother. It works really well, but then, its an older machine thats been taken care of. When you're told "if you break it you'll have to buy yourself a new one" its kind of motivation for taking care of it.

Janome makes an inexpensive machine called the 'Sew-Mini' - its normally $60, and goes on sale alot around here. Its not the best quality, but we've had ours for around a year now, and as long as don't sew heavy fabrics with it, it hasn't given us any real problems. Its definatly straighforward, easy to use. The best thing is that it has all the extreme basics of a full size sewing machine - straight and zigzag stitches, winds a bobbin, goes backwards - unlike the 'toy' sewing machines. Its lightweight, and we use ours alot. If you're looking for an inexpensive one that you can take with you places, i recommend it.

I've used other machines, but not enough to tell you what they are or why they were good. I learned to sew on my Elnita, our Sew Mini has been used often, and neither of them are hard to use.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:14 pm
YourAzureGoddess

I don;t suggest Singers unless you can get one that's an older model and in good condition. The newer ones (1990 and beyond) seem to be made out of mostly cheap parts and they seem to break down. However if you can find a 1960's model singer it will likely last for-freakin-ever

The old Singers are dream machines. My mom has my grandmothers from when grandma first got married over 55 years ago. Its beautiful!

But their right- singers from about 1980 on are CRAP. I have my moms from when she went away to college (over 25 years old) and it breaks constantly, depsite being far from over used.

Unlike our 60 year older singer which I have tried to murder on occassion, I swear. I use it for my period sewing, so super heavy tapestry fabrics. Doesnt blink.  

Silver Mist

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:41 am
Okay, good to know about the Singers. I was looking at them, since I thought they had a reputation as good machines, but I see it's only the older ones.

Where does one go to look for older machines? I've only been considering something new out of the box. I didn't even think of trying to get a used machine. surprised  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 am
Bernina's are great machines. We use them in the costume shop at my univeristy and they are in use about 10 hours a day six days a week (on non-tech week weeks) and the machine that we are using right now are about ten years old and they are still doing fine. Mine has been through a year of heavy duty sewing and is also doing just fine. If you find a bernina dealer you can look at their used machines which work just as fine as the new machines.

I echo the thought on Singers, don't get one unless you get an older one. My mom's was only used for about three or four months of intense sewing before it had to go in for major repairs and it's never workd quite right ever since. If you can locate one of the cast iron singers (or whatever metal it is) they last for quite a long time and will sew through just about anything (and yes that does include fingers on occasion).  

Lexi Marie

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:38 pm
When looking for an older machine, I usually go to the thrift store. Look for something with all of its parts complete and in a good recognized brand name: Singer, Elna, Bernina, Pffaf, White (those are the ones I know if, there could be more) It's even better if you can find one that still has it's originla instriction booklet.

Check the power cord, make sure it's in good condition, not frayed or rotting. Look inside and make sure you don't see any rust or cracks in the bobbin housing or machine itself. Rust is unfixable as far as I know. Check the outside over well to make sure there aren't any cracks in the housing or nothing is broken off. Make sure it has a foot; but if it's missing bobbins or needles that's fine. Best is one where the person saved all the attachments.

If you're lucky you can get a machine from the 1950-1970's at a thrift store for under 10 (American) bucks.

The next step once you find a machine in good condition is to look in the phone book and find a shop that services machines. Often shops will only service a few brands (say Singer, White and Bernina or the one I use services only Pffaf and Elna) if you have any questions call them and tell them what kind of machine you have. Before you start sewing having them tune it up (usually costs between $25-40) When it comes back you should have a nice, solid machine that will be in good working condition for under $50  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:21 pm
An OLD singer can get expensive. My mom has had several offers from people wanting to buy (the guy at the repair shop keeps trying to steal it when she takes it in every three for a tune up and timing check- its only flaw is its timing gets slightly off about eveyr three years). Her best offer yet- $450.

But really, thats about what some new ones cost. And this is for a 1950's cast iron singer, with its original table, button holer and everything. We still have the sewing box that came free with it.  

Silver Mist

KiwiDragon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 pm
I recently (well, like a year ago) bought my first sewing machine and I bought the green Hello Kitty (the brand is Janome)one from Target. I did a lot of researching and this one was in my price range (about $100), easy to use, and reliable. I haven't had any trouble with it so far. I'm a complete sewing newb, but I was able to easily hook it up, and get going with at least a simple straight and zig zag stitch. It doesn't have a million fancy options, but that was fine with me. 3nodding

I also have an older White model, but I can't use it. My boyfriend however (yes, he sews) uses it frequently and he likes it. He mostly uses it for patching jeans, so I at least know it goes through denim.

My mom has a REALLY old Singer, and it scares me. When you first start to use it, it smokes and it's loud. It is about 50lbs of machine, but it still works if you can get over how scary it is! wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:47 pm
Our current store of sewing machines consists of a Bernina, Pfaff, and Janome. The surgers we have are currently are Bernina, Janome and White.

I love working with the Pfaff machine because it is really smooth, so make sure that what ever model sewing machine you get, chack and see that it has an upper dog foot. The Pfaff also has a million stitches that are easy to switch too which is another reason that I love using it. The problem with the Pfaff is the price, they are usually in the higher price range but the quality makes up for it.

I ahve mostly worked with the Bernina ever since I was little. As long as I remember, we have never had to send it into the shop or get replacement parts for it. It is strong and reliable. The only problem I would have with it would be when I would get a tangle in the thread and it would cause a jam and I would have to ask my mom to help me fix it, but of course I was younger then and that problem is happening less and less with more experience.

I ahve rarely tried the Janome because it officially belongs to my sister, so I don't know how it sews, but I have noticed that it has an easily used back stitch which requires no use of the hands, but the knee instead.

I wouldn't quite invest in a surger yet because it isn't necessary and a zig-zag stitch will do well enough to hold the fabric and keep it from fraying, so I would invest in a surger later when you may be doing projects that are very large or for someone else.  

~Viva~Per~Amore~

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff