Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
is it normal too...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

krapolaonastick

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:04 pm
well, if you knit the way i do it's normal, if not well then i don't know that to say...

when i knit, the yarn goed from the right hand to the left hand and people keep saying i knit left handed  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:23 pm
If you learned to knit that way and it works, more power to you. biggrin Left hand knitting is rare mainly because all everyone ever teaches is right-handed method. I knit right handed scandinavian style because I learned it that way in school. X3

It seems that the handed-ness is more common in crochet´, but there's definately nothing odd about it in knitting either..  

AngwyMallard

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:37 am
IIRC:

Knitting with the yarn in the right hand and "throwing" it around the working needle is called "English knitting."

Knitting with the yarn in the left hand and "picking" it with the working needle is called" Continental knitting" and is supposedly faster (presuming equal skill with both types)

If you're good (or my best friend) you can knit "backwards", with the left needle being the working needle. I swear, I don't know how she got that, since she was reading Stitch 'n b***h, and it teaches "forwards" knitting. whee

I can do all of the above, although I'm fastest with forwards English, since I was taught it young and have the most practice with it. And I'm knitting circular now, so I really don't need to knit right-to-left. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:49 am
Man, I had a hard enough time trying to get my brain around carrying yarn in my right hand. I can't imagine trying to knit from right to left. lol

Power to you for being able to do that. It's a pretty rare thing. 3nodding  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:37 am
I forget where I picked it up. It makes flat knitting faster, since you don't have to keep turning your work.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:16 pm
As I dont knit, I honestly can't say much, but a friend of mine who both knits and corchets holds her yarn in a different hand depending on wether or not shes been crocheting lately. Yep- thats right- her yarn changes hands while knitting depending on her crocheting habits. xd  

Silver Mist

krapolaonastick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:00 pm
kewl! i knew i was knitting differently than everyone else who dose, a rare form... it was alll my moms fault, she is left handed, and she tryed to tech me the "corect" way when i was 8, i gave up, then picked back up at 12 and i was doing going right to left, i can do it "both" ways, if i do a row laft to right then a row right to left, it is knit and purl and the stiches are twisted a little, it's quite pretty  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:37 pm
To me that's just so aggravating, it looks like it takes longer! But whatever works for you... biggrin  

Mildred Pierce

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:52 am
I learned to knit English style but I sort of "invented" continental style knitting while knitting a hat on a road trip. The hat was knitted on the round on a circular needle, and I remember that once I switched to continental knitting (not knowing that was what I was doing) wokring the hat went about three times faster- I've been knitting that way since and have a really hard time remembering how to do English style.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:47 pm
i can knit both ways, i just like my left-handed ways  

krapolaonastick

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:01 pm
You're not alone there, lol.

I'm also a left handed knitter, but then again though, I'm a left handed kinda gal. =3  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games