Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Breathe...and Remember...Kharma....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you trust a moving company with your belongings?
  No! Look at all the research you did and you got jacked!
  Sure! It's just stuff!
View Results

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:51 pm
So, I have to move 1000 miles. I don't want to drive a uhaul myself. So, against my instincts I hire a moving company. MTF Relocation in Santa Clara, CA.

My instincts were on the money. I am now being charged WAY more than the revised estimate.

Sigh. Time for a fight. Time to breathe and remember that although Kharma is a good thing for good people, it sucks for mean people!

I will light a black candle to ward against negative energy and focus my positive energy on this working out in my favor!  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:07 am
Safkef, throughout my existence I have lived in eight different houses across five different countries. Each time we had a moving company do it - it was just out of the question to attempt it ourselves. Sure, perhaps a few times something went missing or got broken (the move from Hungary to Ireland was the worst) but considering the sheer bulk of stuff we had it's pretty impressive they got it all out of the country in the first place!

It is their realm of expertise to pack and carry things to a new place. Sure, it's not a precise science - s**t does happen. But it's what they're paid to do and what they're best at. So save your back and call the movers. Perhaps you could haggle with them for a lower estimate.

In any case, good luck with the move. I know it can often be a harrowing experience. smile  

Pelta

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:59 am
Pelta
Safkef, throughout my existence I have lived in eight different houses across five different countries. Each time we had a moving company do it - it was just out of the question to attempt it ourselves. Sure, perhaps a few times something went missing or got broken (the move from Hungary to Ireland was the worst) but considering the sheer bulk of stuff we had it's pretty impressive they got it all out of the country in the first place!

It is their realm of expertise to pack and carry things to a new place. Sure, it's not a precise science - s**t does happen. But it's what they're paid to do and what they're best at. So save your back and call the movers. Perhaps you could haggle with them for a lower estimate.

In any case, good luck with the move. I know it can often be a harrowing experience. smile

ya know, if i were you, i would have tried to make it sound a little less harsh before posting, and if i couldn't, than just not post it.^_^ it realy is important in these kinds of situations to be be gentle. i love the advice though, i could use some of that! ^0^ heeheehee mrgreen yeah, i had moved alot when i was a baby, but it was all in the same city, so it doesn't realy count. we only used a Uhaul truck twice, and one of those times, it was a friend of the family, the other was a movers company. but we trust'em,. and besides, it's just stuff. it would perish someday or another anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:32 pm
Hmm, would there not be some legal ground to fight on if they gave you a lower estimate?  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:50 am
Moving around a lot teaches one how much utterly useless s**t most of us own that we truly do not need. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:42 pm
twilight insanity

ya know, if i were you, i would have tried to make it sound a little less harsh before posting, and if i couldn't, than just not post it

I have to say the only thing I found offensive was you basically picking a fight here.

Nihilistic Seraph
Hmm, would there not be some legal ground to fight on if they gave you a lower estimate?

I am looking into the legalities here. Basically from what I can find so far is that it would be best to just have them deliver my stuff that they already have, pay them and deal with it then. Because it's a credit card, I can dispute the charges. That is what my cc company is advising right now.

Pelta
In any case, good luck with the move. I know it can often be a harrowing experience
I would DEFINITELY have used movers if I was moving internationally! lol That has to be difficult! Thank you for the good wishes. It wouldn't have been a big deal if they didn't already have all my stuff, I would have just kissed my $250 deposit goodbye (sniffled a little as that's not a small chunk of change) and dealt with it. smile YOu lived in Ireland? How very cool!

Starlock
Moving around a lot teaches one how much utterly useless s**t most of us own that we truly do not need.

You are so preaching to the choir here! LOL I agree 100000% that people, including myself, own so much stuff I don't need! lol I do feel good about donating everything we did get rid of too homeless shelters though. It ended up being about 25 huge boxes, 10 small boxes and 20 bags. Good feelings in the face of this nightmare are pretty essential!

I appreciate your energy and thoughts all!  

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:35 am
safkef
Pelta
In any case, good luck with the move. I know it can often be a harrowing experience
I would DEFINITELY have used movers if I was moving internationally! lol That has to be difficult! Thank you for the good wishes. It wouldn't have been a big deal if they didn't already have all my stuff, I would have just kissed my $250 deposit goodbye (sniffled a little as that's not a small chunk of change) and dealt with it. smile YOu lived in Ireland? How very cool!
Teehee. Switch to the present tense and it's more like it. I live in Ireland. whee I sometimes forget that people don't know me online. xp

Quote:
Starlock
Moving around a lot teaches one how much utterly useless s**t most of us own that we truly do not need.

You are so preaching to the choir here! LOL I agree 100000% that people, including myself, own so much stuff I don't need! lol I do feel good about donating everything we did get rid of too homeless shelters though. It ended up being about 25 huge boxes, 10 small boxes and 20 bags. Good feelings in the face of this nightmare are pretty essential!

I appreciate your energy and thoughts all!
Starlock's quote is just the truest thing I've ever heard about moving. I know I've had to dig through all of my stuff enough times to realise just how much crap I really don't need! Clothes especially. You never realise how much needless space you waste with clothes you never wear. And it's always nice to have a few black sacks full of stuff for the local charity. smile

I have to say I haven't yet parted with my teddy bears though. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 am
Ugh! My mother is a yard sale junkie. I've constantly warned her not to buy all that stuff, but of course she wouldn't listen. Then we moved, and it took a whole month because of all that crap she accumulated over the years. scream  

Boadicia

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:53 pm
Pelta,
It's so cool that you live in Ireland!

As for clothes, that's about the only thing I don't have too much of. Well, didn't at least. There's a lot of things I don't have too much of now but still too much of others. I think. Always assuming the moving company doesn't just make off with it. lol  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games