Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE GODS

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:32 am
ok, so, as is obvious, i don't know who the gods are. i know only that they are who i pray to, who i respect. not the Almighty One, God. in fact, i would love to know anything about what wiccan and paganism is realy about. please help me out with this, i am realy serious about this religion. i want to be .... connected with something. and i searched and searched, and researched whatever i could, and i am sure that i want to be wiccan. i love my planet, i love nature! and i love knowledge. i am aready also shinto, but that is so...empty...it's more like i a template, something that you .... customize another faith with. it's more like .... philsophy and mindset than actual religion.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:57 am
Well, that's a tall order. You can pray to any god/godess you choose as long as it fits into polytheism (cause thats what paganism is techniacly about). Wiccanism is a branch of paganism. Pagan is an umbrella term with Wicca and others such as Neopagan and Heathenry full under. They belive in many gods and godesses and Mother Earth. I don't know much more than that.  

Milendil

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:07 pm
Lost Elf
Well, that's a tall order. You can pray to any god/godess you choose as long as it fits into polytheism (cause thats what paganism is techniacly about). Wiccanism is a branch of paganism. Pagan is an umbrella term with Wicca and others such as Neopagan and Heathenry full under. They belive in many gods and godesses and Mother Earth. I don't know much more than that.
ok, well that seems to be a start...i was hoping for some names and histories of some perticular deities....thank you, elf. do you know where i can find this information, or who to ask?  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 am
You can start with a website called "GodChecker." This place is a fairly comprehensive list of deities and should give you a start in terms of where to start out.

Just a question... are you Japanese or have strong ties to Japan? Shinto is pretty much exclusively a religion of Japan so unless you're Japanese and grew up there... I'm not sure you can properly claim to be Shinto. Honoring Japanese deities, maybe. sweatdrop  

Starlock
Crew

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:03 pm
Another great place is Encyclopedia Mythica. You can search by region and country. Its where I get a lot of my information.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:45 pm
Starlock
You can start with a website called "GodChecker." This place is a fairly comprehensive list of deities and should give you a start in terms of where to start out.

Just a question... are you Japanese or have strong ties to Japan? Shinto is pretty much exclusively a religion of Japan so unless you're Japanese and grew up there... I'm not sure you can properly claim to be Shinto. Honoring Japanese deities, maybe. sweatdrop

That site isn't entirely accurate actually xD...it's pretty far off when it comes to Bast and I, at least they got Anubis right.  

[BlkCat]

Caerwiden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:56 pm
There's a huge number of gods out there from a huge number of different cultures (celtic, hellenic, aztec, egyptian, polynesian, roman, germanic, native american, moari, japanese, chinese, hindu, persian, carthaginian, scythian, incan, mayan, african, slavic, and thats all I can think of off the top of my head). I'd pick a culture you like, or even a culture at random and read up on its mythology.

Some gods seem familar and are easy to understand:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Ares, Hellenic God of War. Easy enough

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Quetzalcoatl, Aztec god who gave mankind books and...maize?! Also this picture depicts the god in"human" form!

However I am not a Wiccan, so I'm not exactly sure how multiple gods of multiple cultures fit in  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:38 am
Winter Black
Another great place is Encyclopedia Mythica. You can search by region and country. Its where I get a lot of my information.

Thanks for the link. <3  

Curiously Fruity

The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games