Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
Sluggish Game Performance Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Princess Harmonia

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:35 pm
As stated in my most recent thread in this section of the guild, I recently installed three new expansion packs (Nightlife, Pets, Seasons) and I've noticed a dramatic change in the speed and pace of the game. I was expecting slower performance of course but not this ridiculously sluggish. It's barely playable!

Naturally I had a glance over at my system's specs (which were able to handle the original Sims 2 at a good playable speed). My RAM is lower than any average computer... 256MB. I'm guessing that this is my problem since, aside from all else, my game is fine...just slow...

The action I've taken in response: I've made an appointment with the professional who handles my computer/tech needs to install some more RAM; I'm upgrading to about 1GB which is a far stretch from my current 256MB. I'm sure that this will help my computer all around, not just in gaming but I'm just wondering if I'm correct in thinking that this is my problem because this is money coming straight out of my pocket; my parents are not paying (they refuse, now that I have a part-time and it's summer so I can work more hours).

My drivers are up to date and my processor is fine and I'm extremely safe on my desktop (no spyware, adware, viruses, etc.) so I can't imagine it being anything else.

Any input is appreciated, as always.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:05 am
I think that should result in an improvement.

The only other thing I can think (since I suck at this sort of thing) is if your settings are on the highest quality. I have a decent video card, but sometimes still get lag if I turn all my settings up to best. It's something you can play with in-game that would be worth a try, at least. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck!  

PriestessSelwyn

Princess Harmonia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 am
PriestessSelwyn
I think that should result in an improvement.

The only other thing I can think (since I suck at this sort of thing) is if your settings are on the highest quality. I have a decent video card, but sometimes still get lag if I turn all my settings up to best. It's something you can play with in-game that would be worth a try, at least. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm hoping for an improvement at least. My settings are set on highest quality so I switched it back to the default low quality, and there isn't much of a difference. The game is still quite slow. I've always played in highest quality since before I got the EPs, it's only after that this started happening. Hopefully by next week it will be resolved.

Thanks for your input! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:40 am
The RAM should help a lot.

There are three things to really consider with a computer (for gaming).

Processor speed: Not much you can do about this without replacing the processor. (However, when you buy a new computer, sometime in the future, note that it's better to get a dual-core slower processor than a single-core highest-speed processor.)

RAM: 1GB should give you a marked improvement.

Video card: Not much you can do about this without replacing the video card. (When you do buy a new video card, if it's for an older computer, you should try to get an AGP card, not a PCI card. If it's a newer computer, you want a PCI-E card.)

Given all that, RAM is really your first and most affordable choice for getting your computer to operate faster.  

Strya

Princess Harmonia

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:44 am
Strya
The RAM should help a lot.

There are three things to really consider with a computer (for gaming).

Processor speed: Not much you can do about this without replacing the processor. (However, when you buy a new computer, sometime in the future, note that it's better to get a dual-core slower processor than a single-core highest-speed processor.)

RAM: 1GB should give you a marked improvement.

Video card: Not much you can do about this without replacing the video card. (When you do buy a new video card, if it's for an older computer, you should try to get an AGP card, not a PCI card. If it's a newer computer, you want a PCI-E card.)

Given all that, RAM is really your first and most affordable choice for getting your computer to operate faster.

Interesting facts! When I buy a new desktop in the years to come I'll take these into consideration.

For now, my desktop does need the RAM and I think with just that it will last a while longer. It's not necessarily bad; it's actually quite good. The processor, I believe, is a dual-core slower processor. I'm not sure about the video card's condition but I think its fine. The easiest upgrade (and least expensive) is the RAM and I'm hoping for a marked improvement. I've researched the matter quite a bit and everything seems to indicate the gaming experience is much more pleasant with good, high RAM.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:48 am
Well, with more Random Access Memory your computer will be able to handle more things and so in your Sims games you will probably see more Sims on community lots and be able to invite more to parties.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Strya

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:57 pm
Good luck with that! It sounds like your computer is still good for a couple of years. I've heard that with a dual-core processor that's only like 1.6 or 1.8 GHz, it still does just fine. The RAM should really help.

I just bought a new computer myself, and I was amazed at the difference. I had a friend build it, and I spent about $1000 on the parts and paid my friend $200. It's a 2.8 GHz dual core with 2 GB RAM and a GeForce 7900 -- not the top of the line, but should last me 3 or 4 years. If I had bought the same thing from Dell, I would have paid probably $2500 or more.

My old computer was a 1.6 GHz single core with a GeForce 3 and I think 512 MB RAM. On it, I could have a total of 2 extra sims on the lot. When I got my new computer, it was like night and day. I noticed:

1. Everything is so clear!
2. I've had about 6 visitors without any problems. I haven't tried having a party yet to see how many I can invite.
3. When I play, I can actually see the other houses in the neighborhood! Before, I could only see the house I was playing.
4. The mirrors actually reflect! That impressed me.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:28 pm
I suppose that more sims on my lots would be fun. If I recall well, the median for number of visiting sims on my lots was always somewhere around 4 or 5. I never throw house parties, so I wouldn't know how many could be handled on the lots during party time. All, I really expect from the upgrade this Saturday is a good playable speed for the game.

Strya
Good luck with that! It sounds like your computer is still good for a couple of years. I've heard that with a dual-core processor that's only like 1.6 or 1.8 GHz, it still does just fine. The RAM should really help.

I just bought a new computer myself, and I was amazed at the difference. I had a friend build it, and I spent about $1000 on the parts and paid my friend $200. It's a 2.8 GHz dual core with 2 GB RAM and a GeForce 7900 -- not the top of the line, but should last me 3 or 4 years. If I had bought the same thing from Dell, I would have paid probably $2500 or more.

My old computer was a 1.6 GHz single core with a GeForce 3 and I think 512 MB RAM. On it, I could have a total of 2 extra sims on the lot. When I got my new computer, it was like night and day. I noticed:

1. Everything is so clear!
2. I've had about 6 visitors without any problems. I haven't tried having a party yet to see how many I can invite.
3. When I play, I can actually see the other houses in the neighborhood! Before, I could only see the house I was playing.
4. The mirrors actually reflect! That impressed me.

That new computer sounds great! My computer currently, is a Dell. It was a gift from my cousin so I don't know how much she spent on it but I wouldn't doubt that it was pricy because Dell is Dell. I wonder if for my next computer, I should have it built as well. It sounds like a sweet deal, really!

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. biggrin  

Princess Harmonia

Pao Pao Tang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:32 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Before I play, I put every custom item a family is using in one folder and keep it in the downloads and move all the rest out.

Helps a lot with the loading 3nodding Though in-game lag I don't know about.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games