Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Having trouble Ribbing....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

People counter
  +1
View Results

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:26 pm
Hi there! I'm having trouble ribbing, because I'm not sure where to put the string or where to bring the string up (for the purls). I'm talking about knitting, of course. Does anyone have an easy way/guide to ribbing?

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:59 pm
it sounds like your having problems purling...
when you purl, do you bring the yarn to the front of your knitting, unlike when your just knit stitching you leave the yarn in the back.  

Lee Kushrenada

Hotaru Tobutakai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:35 pm
Before you knit a stitch, you bring the yarn to the back and knit. And before you purl, you bring the yarn to the front.

You can see how they're worked at this link:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:09 pm
also, when you bring the yarn in front or back, make sure you don't accidentally wrap it around one of your needles. Then you might get an extra stitch you didn't want >.<  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:24 pm
The most important thing to remember about switching from knitting to purling: YARN OVER!!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:35 pm
don't wory, we've all been there, and some of us more than once. xd  

Lee Kushrenada

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:41 pm

it is helpful to learn how the st and purl stiches look like on the work, when doing normal sts, kinda looks like the 'V' and when doing purl in a normal work, the yarn is brought over to teh frnot, making a small horizontal bump on the side you see. and have a pattern and rythem going to get it right, if you purl and purls and st the st it will make your ribbing if it is the other way, then you are doing seeding and such, or something else, sometimes nice depending on the view :3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:42 am
We all have been there.......................... I Still have nightmares crying crying crying  

AccentualWolf

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:53 am
OHH. So I just learned that I've been doing it wrong. Whoops. xDD;  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out