Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Sewing Pajama Pants in Mass Quantity [finished]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lost Pattern
  look for it
  use a pair of pants previously cut for a pattern
View Results

~Viva~Per~Amore~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:34 pm
I am making Pajama Pants for the girls in my Young Womens group for camp which is in less than two weeks. I have four pairs left to cut and five pairs left to sew and surge.

I am using a simple one piece pattern where the same pattern piece is used for each leg of the pants.

I also hate the pinning of the pattern and cutting out the pajama pants. I do have arotary cutter, but I am nervous to use it becuase I think it might make them look bad. Should I use it?

Any tips on the order I should do things?
Does anyone have any tips on making things in mass quantity?

EDIT: I was about to start cutting out some more pairs, and then I discovered that I don't know where the pattern went. I already have a pair of pants cut out that haven't been sewn yet, should I use them as a pattern or should I ransack the house looking for hte pattern?
Look for pattern or use pajama pants?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:38 pm
I'll tell you that if you're not used to using a rotary cutter, it's a bit difficult. It's also VERY VERY sharp. I got a deep gouge just lightly touching it. It does, however, make cutting very quick. If you're going to use one, I suggest practicing a bit first to make sure you're using the correct pressure and a steady hand. 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:40 pm
I would look around, try and find the pattern. If you really can't find the pattern, i would take some sort of large paper and trace the pattern from the pants you already cut.

On the rotary cutter... i would use it for any long straight bits of cutting. Maybe try doing some gentle curves and things, see how well you do. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:11 am
I agree with Kochi.

I think i've seen/used that pattern before. it's the one where each side is one piece and you just sew up the inseam? It's a great pattern for making things quickly! you could make a new one using a recently cut pair and some news print or butcher's paper.  

caffinated_tulip

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:30 am
Agreed. Look for the pattern, but if a decent search doesn't turn it up, just make a new one, since you are on a deadline. (That will most assuredly make the lost pattern come running back, once you don't need it anymore wink )

Practice with the rotary cutter, preferaly with scraps of the same fabric you'll be using. It's faster than scissors once you get the hang of it, as long s the blade is sharp. It's also best to take it a little at a time, since a bad slip can make a mess of your work. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:25 pm
Thanks for hte advice, I worked on them a little more last night and now I have to sew three more and cut two, but there is the possibility that one won't be needed, so I have to at least sew two more and cut one.  

~Viva~Per~Amore~

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff