Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Arts (Writing, drawing, Commission services and more!)
My 5 hours worth of doodling (Advice?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Flyntette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm
I was bored today, so I tried my hand at drawing anime/manga style cartoons. I spent about 5 hours (probably more..) just doing nothing but drawing. Take a look at these, tell me how..

-I could improve them
-to draw better bodies
-to draw hands

I think I'm quite good at drawing eyes, but I'm crap at everything else sad

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

I fail gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:10 pm
Awww, you don't fail! And there isn't really a formula to draw amazing anime on your first attempt. Just keep practicing ^^ It's the same as with everything else where the more effort you put in, the better the result, so just keep practicing and you'll be great at it in no time wink  

Anochaa
Crew

yokoko321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:30 pm
there are some pretty good anime tutorials out on the internet they can help you get even better.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:23 pm
everyone thinks that they are bad at drawing so dont feel bad or anything ^_^
I think it's pretty good but of course, can always get better.  

Yin Yang Dragon Girl

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:09 pm
I suck at art. I can never get the faces, eyes or hands right. They always end up distorted and ugly.

So you don't suck at art. I do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:52 am
Hands are not easy to draw- I know this from personal experience (at this point I stick to drawing animals mostly, as I don't have to figure out where to place those old opposable thumbs.) Frankly, I'd say the only thing you need to do to improve is just keep drawing. Yes, you need to have a certain talent for it (trust me, from what I'm seeing here, you DO have that talent.) but it's just like any other skill: the more you practice, the better you get. I really like the way you did the clothing on your top two figures, the outfits suit the characters and enhance them, instead of detracting from them. Also, you have a very good sense of proportion. So basically, just keep drawing, and you'll get better and better just from the practice. Also, you can experiment with what angle you're using the pencil at, and things like that, to see which ways you draw better. I know that there are certain angles that, if I hold my pencil (I unusually use charcoal and chalk pastels) my drawings look ten times better, and others that just screw me up entirely.
edit: by the way, dronze sometime has art contests, keep your eye open, he's a really fair judge, and I think you could do well.
Oh, and ying yang dragon girl, I fed your little friend down on your sig until he was full. smile  

Ravenlady13

Ovelia Beoulve

700 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:25 pm
They're actually quite well. Like everyone else is saying, keep working at it, practice hands, and bodies . . .and you'll be really great.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:43 am
**DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A GREAT ARTIST. ANYTHING I SAY IS A MERE SUGGESTION AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN FOR BIG-HEADED-NESS, EGOCENTRICISM, OR ANY LIKENESS TO THESE TRAITS!**
Well, that out of the way, I have a few suggestions. First, noting on your own comment, you are suffering from something most every artist has to fight off. It is something I have (rather aptly) dubbed "beginning eye syndrome." In other words, you are putting too much effort into the eyes and not enough elsewhere. This is an easy tap to fall into because, quite simply, eyes are easiest to practice. Now, you don't want to be stuck in this phase because it is rather impractical and hints at amateur artistry. I suggest, for a while anyway, try to sketch without drawing eyes or drawing dots or circles as opposed to complex eyes. This seems counterintuitive, I suppose, because it will make your art look less finished or refined, but the reason (or method to this madness) behind this is is that you will be forced to focus on other areas. Think about the textures of hair and fabrics. Look around you for examples and try to overcome one of the pinnacle feats of an artist. Draw by looking, not seeing. What I mean by this is that you should look at the shapes or lines or whatever stands out to you rather than the whole itself. There is a book that I have read (along with many others, I am sure) that is called something to the effect of "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain." This book explains why we as humans, when drawing a face or such, skip over what it looks like and go right to our mind's eye's picture. Nose. Eyes. Mouth. Hair. Eyebrows. Ears. You can picture all of these things right away, but my challenge for you is to look at the thing you are drawing and to draw what it looks like, not what it seems like. This is tough, do not think otherwise. I am rather awful with it, but the point is to keep at it and to practice. A lot. Use photographs or try some grid drawing, whatever works for you. When you can look at what you are trying to draw, you will be able to make it appear to the viewer as what it is rather than should be. This is extremely helpful for portraits, but it is also fantastic for things like hands. Look at your hands or a friend's hands and try drawing them from different angles or in different positions. Find the underlying shapes that embody figures and use these as the backbone of your work. Most importantly, however, is to keep at it.

Well, I hope that I was of some assistance. I am sorry for the very very long response. Good luck!
b

Bellabie

Sex With A Blender

Alien Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:18 am
on the shirt of the last girl try making the shirt go below the armpit  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:29 am
nice try  

zhannut

icequelle

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:03 am
hmm just a piece of advice hoping it could help ^^

First is draw the stick form... visualize the pose, what would be the body size
Second is draw circles surrounding them so there you could form curves
Third, add now the details.

your drawings are good it just needs some curves ^^

everybody fails but y'know everything won't be perfect as you wish so try more ^^ it help you get better or be the best  
Arts (Writing, drawing, Commission services and more!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games