Drinking Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ZGAngel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:39 am
Byaggha
I've been a non-drinker, non-smoker, non-drugs (aside from medically prescribed ones and a vitamin supplement) since long before I attached the label Buddhist to myself; I just never saw the point in reduced faculties for 'fun' - it was always more fun for me to be sober at a party of drunks, if I went at all. Why? Well heck - they do some really funny things they wouldn't do sober, and you actually get to remember it all because you weren't drinking. Plus, you can be a guardian angel of sorts to the worse off ones - take the alcohol from them when they've had too much and make sure they drink some water instead for awhile.

I don't know. Maybe I'm weird, but it was always better that way for me. 3nodding

I'm the same, before I became Buddhist I didn't drink, smoke, or take drugs. I grew up in an environment were drink was depended upon and I watched it destroy the lives of those close to me. I never understood the need or want of people to "get wasted" for the sake of fun. Once I left I decided that I would never allow drink or any other substance to control my life.

I've never favoured the night scene but when I do go it I feel good knowing that I will remember everything everybody does even if they won't. When friend go over the top you know they'll be safe because you can keep an eye on them. At the same time you're maintaining a healthy body.

I would call alcohol a trigger for a deluded mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:43 am
I will have a glass of wine with my future mother in law if she asks it of me. Alcohol was never something I looked at as "you drink this because it can get you drunk." I drank it because I liked the taste of it. It's the same reason I drink coffee. I enjoy the taste and the conversation to be had when enjoying with others.

I don't think anyone should be getting drunk, regardless of religion or what have you. It's harmful and can make you less of who you are.

I believe you can drink without it meaning you get trashed, and not everyone does. Human's make things evil or wrong. Your mind is yours, don't blame the alcohol or drugs.

(This is not directed at anyone who has commented before me, it's just my personal feelings and should be taken (like everything) with a grain of salt.)  

Shesmuu

6,450 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

BeachBum16722

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 pm
I find myself in the same exact situation as you, I am a drinker and I smoke weed. I honestly don't like that I do them but, I like them. It is such a hard thing to grasp but it is true lol. I actually quite when I first became buddhist and was clean for about 7 months but I guess I don't have the will power to stop.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:40 pm
I've only ever had one drink of alcohol. It was champagne on New Year's awhile back. If it weren't for the fact that I could taste the alcohol, I'd have liked it more. I'm stickin' with sparkling grape juice.
Anyway, I don't intend to drink much once I'm 21 (I do want to try some sake though).
I also don't do drugs or smoke.  

Manguusu

Interesting Gekko

7,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100

324567890sx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:02 pm
in truth the Buddha was opposed to intoxicants.
he was in favor of developing compassion, wisdom, and an awakened mind.

i say that it's your life.
if you aren't harming anyone by drinking, then do it.
to be a Buddhist doesn't mean to do things you don't want to.

do what leads you to happiness.

drinking to get away from the reality of things is probably more frowned upon than simply having fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:39 pm
Personally I love to go to the pub, I go often after work with my best friend for 3 or 4 pints.

One strange thing though is that before I went on my first retreat I used to go to nightclubs maybe once a week or every other week. I'd get horribly drunk, glug glug glug. But after my first retreat it didn't seem so fun any more, and nowadays I can barely stand to be in a nightclub. It no longer feels fun to get completely off my face.  

KorValesh

thatsnozaku

Blessed Gaian

8,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm
Akanishi Makoto
Funny, I took those precepts, and I drink and smoke.

All things in moderation, but hell, how are you supposed to know it's wrong without trying it first?

dramallama

Well said, that sentence is the kind of effective summarizing I wish I could do with all of my feelings.

Personally, I don't smoke, and I drink much less than I would in a single sitting now than I did when I was younger.. and I'm certain that the fact I can go out and buy alcohol myself is mostly why. A juvenile attempt at being adventurous, I guess, though I never let myself drink to the point of losing touch with reality back then and that still applies today. I prefer to drink with or after a meal, and usually only one or two drinks of something with far more flavor than kick to it.

I don't really see it as a major issue to drink as long as it doesn't motivate the drinker to endanger themselves and others, but it's really up to the individual (most of the time, anyway) to decide what's right for them regardless of what people write and say.

"The Buddha asked all his followers not to take his word as true, but rather to test the teachings for themselves."  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:00 am
I've done weed once or twice. And it doesn't make me less mindful, it just shifts my perception of being mindful. Anything that's habitual though, or done to avoid feelings of "pain", or to dissociate, I think those break the precepts of mindfulness and could be applied to drugs as well as something as simple as tv, internet, books and music. Something that keeps you "hanged up" from being mindful could be anything, even negative emotions or feelings of attachment, or attachment to detachment. That's what I think.

Naynram Ukir

Lord Alucard Ere Casanova

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 am
I drink on rare occasions. For example, my fiance's sister got married recently. Although I did not attend, that would have been an occasion to drink. It's something I only do in celebration. I used to do it more often, when I was more curious about it and wanted to try things out, but now I've limited myself.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 pm
I believe it all boils down to intent. For drinking, a single drink daily or weekly can be healthy even. It may also be custom for some cultures, such as offering a cup of tea/coffee is. IE I dont see a problem as long as the intent is good and your not getting sloshed

Now as for drugs since they were mentioned, I have a view on those as well. I believe natural drugs, IE in their natural state, not refined etc, stuff like mushrooms, peyote etc act as pair of glasses or hearing aide if you will.

Again, intent is key. I dont believe in taking such things to get trashed or to have fun. I believe such drugs are helpful in removing filters that we have. Humans can only percieve in certain spectrums, perhaps spiritualy such drugs help percieve in that spectrum.

What I mean is, someone who intends to gain insight, prepares their mind etc and decides to smoke pot is more or less ok.

These practices and others have been around for eons, and while I myself do not practice such a thing, I believe if the intent is right, then why not? At the worse, it could be a negative experience, but an experience none the less, IE understanding.  

Thrance

Viceroy Adrian

Lavish Dark Elf

8,900 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 pm
To me, it means you should only drink in small quantities and not enough to get inebriated. I myself enjoy Schnapps [a German liqueur]. Just don't get drunk, for that will lead to you ultimately doing things you will regret, always does when it comes to getting inebriated.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm
Byaggha
I've been a non-drinker, non-smoker, non-drugs (aside from medically prescribed ones and a vitamin supplement) since long before I attached the label Buddhist to myself; I just never saw the point in reduced faculties for 'fun' - it was always more fun for me to be sober at a party of drunks, if I went at all. Why? Well heck - they do some really funny things they wouldn't do sober, and you actually get to remember it all because you weren't drinking. Plus, you can be a guardian angel of sorts to the worse off ones - take the alcohol from them when they've had too much and make sure they drink some water instead for awhile.

I don't know. Maybe I'm weird, but it was always better that way for me. 3nodding

What do texts say on smoking? I'm trying to quit because my friends hate it and to help my already poor health; that being said, I am a smoker. What do you know?  

Viceroy Adrian

Lavish Dark Elf

8,900 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Loving Kindness: A Buddhism Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers