Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Scarves with Intarsia? Lookin' for some Advice!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:55 pm
I'm gonna get a head start on Christmas and start makin' scarves this summer! Thing is, I want to put some intarsia into them, but I completely fail at knitting in the round and double knitting. I really don't like scarves that have "back" sides. Has anyone else had to get around this dilemma? How is it done? What should I do? T-T  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 pm
well i would suggest giving dpns a try (i cant use circulars for the life of me, but dpns are awesome)

but if you are looking for something else you could try just knitting a really wide scarf and then sewing it up when you are done. Then you wouldnt have a "back" and you would get the illusion of doing it in the round. Does that make sense? If not I can try to make a visual demo for ya.

You could also try illusion knitting as another option to intarsia.  

Fionamule

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:03 am

any knitting needle is fine, i usually use DPNs because for more options. circulars are easier for travel with for me because i can carry it with me and it wont slip out, but it might stretch it a bit if i don't put it in my bag right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:52 pm
Have you thought of lining the scarves with fleece or fabric?
You could just sew it onto the back, so that the wrong side of the scarf is covered. (It will be softer and warmer too)  

anneadeline

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm

using a lining in fabric is good to hid the loose yarn or the carry overs on the back whenever you change colors. Another alternative is to use a 1x1 ribbing using only two colors and switching them for an effect, without the stray ends or problems. some good lining for scarves are fleece, or even fur depending on how it is to the wearer. Also a note, it is a good idea to either hand stich if the yarn is bulky or using machine sewing when the stitches is somewhat smaller, that way it wont have a chance to clog up on a small amount of machines..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:27 pm
This topic reminded me of the Ohm Scarf. This one is a great example of backing the scarf.  

AuroraGoryAlice

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:38 am
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this because I only skimmed, but What I do is make the scarf twice as wide as I need it and simply seem it up. It takes a bit of time to seem it up, but it's worth it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:03 am
Kanhoro

that's true for lining teh back to hid the carry overs for the yarn, but another alternative is to use two colors of yarn, then knit with them in a 1x1 rib and swtich the colors when you want the intarsia effect that way both sides will have no stray ends.but sometimes it is longer to do this because you will have to plan to do this which is better do to do it on a graph or something, but lining the back in fleece or something softer is nice, dont forget that a noodle for your matchine when attaching it if you are doing it that way is best for it.

This has been bothering me for awhile now, and I suppose it could be the vicodine, but I feel compeled to mention it. Your posts are damned hard to read. Like REALLY hard to read. You use no capital letters, barely use periods, etc, and certainly dont seem to care about spelling or coherent thought. I have started ignoring your posts and its better for my sanity than to attempt to read them. I know I'm not the best typer, but, by god, your horrid.  

Silver Mist

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 pm
Silver Mist
Kanhoro

that's true for lining teh back to hid the carry overs for the yarn, but another alternative is to use two colors of yarn, then knit with them in a 1x1 rib and swtich the colors when you want the intarsia effect that way both sides will have no stray ends.but sometimes it is longer to do this because you will have to plan to do this which is better do to do it on a graph or something, but lining the back in fleece or something softer is nice, dont forget that a noodle for your matchine when attaching it if you are doing it that way is best for it.

This has been bothering me for awhile now, and I suppose it could be the vicodine, but I feel compeled to mention it. Your posts are damned hard to read. Like REALLY hard to read. You use no capital letters, barely use periods, etc, and certainly dont seem to care about spelling or coherent thought. I have started ignoring your posts and its better for my sanity than to attempt to read them. I know I'm not the best typer, but, by god, your horrid.
*didn't want to be the first to say it* Its true... i haven't actually read one of your posts for a while now. Grammar is there to make it easier for people to read and understand you  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games