Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Newcomers
Questions from a Newbie! Shocking, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gimme_chocolate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:15 am
Okay, so I'm (as the title says) a complete newbie to the world of the SCA. No persona, no garb, and only a very slight idea of how this all works. I've found my group already and everything, but I want to make sure I'm interested before I make contact. Before I go throwing money into this, I'd like to ask a few questions.

Most importantly, to me at least--must one do some sort of combat to participate? I'm not necessarily a pacifist; I simply don't know how to fight in any way, and I'm not particularly keen to get bruised up learning, at least not as a newbie.
---->If that is okay, would it still be appropriate to make an appearance at, say, a "Thrown Weapons Practice"? Those are the only upcoming events on my group's calendar.

Also, if I wanted to be a bard, would I need some semblance of an ability to sing? I was thinking I'd just learn to play my mom's old alto recorder (it's wooden! yay), but will that work? (I can't sing at all, so if recorder-only is too weird, I might have to go for calligraphy instead. Aheheh.)

Is there any feeling of elitism present among, say, those members of the SCA who throw their whole lives into it as opposed to those who don't necessarily spend a whole lot of time and money on it? (Or would this be a better question to ask my Chatelaine when I get around to emailing her?)  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:28 am
good questions!!

No one needs to participate in any sort of combat. When I was away at school, I went to fighter's practice every week, but the most I ever did beyond socializing was to help people get in and out of their armor. I was never the only one who did this, either. I would think that thrown weapons practice would be similar. There are a lot of other activities in the SCA that don't have anything to do with combat, as well. There aren't always official groups or guilds for these activities, but they're out there. You can even bring projects and such to practices! I always brought my embroidery to fighter's practice.

You definately don't need to be able to sing to be a bard. You won't always be able to use the recorder in bardic competitions (depending on the rules...), but I'm sure no one would object to its use in general. Search out a music guild. The one in my area often puts on concerts for balls, and sometimes before court. There's also always story telling. That's one of the best parts of a bardic circle... at least, to me!

As to the elitism... it depends on the individuals. You'll probably just have to feel that one out for yourself. I would, however, ask your Chatelaine about what guilds and such are active in your area.

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

gimme_chocolate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:30 am
Thank you! ^_^ Such detailed answers~! Very much appreciated!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:02 pm
no prob!! mrgreen  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Koosei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:22 am
.... stemming off from that, what kind of guilds are there? in my area, the cooking group just became a guild, and I know there's the heavies, rapier, archers (I am one, so I'd know of that), A&S and dance, but what else would there be?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:34 am
Koosei
.... stemming off from that, what kind of guilds are there? in my area, the cooking group just became a guild, and I know there's the heavies, rapier, archers (I am one, so I'd know of that), A&S and dance, but what else would there be?

It all depends on the amount of interest there is in activities in your area, as well as the size of the group. The Shire I used to live in only had a brewers guild, but the Barony in which I currently reside has a Fool's Guild, Needle Arts Guild, Vocal Guild, Music Guild, Brewing and Vintning, Calligraphy and Illumination, Armor making, Pottery Guild, Fletching, a couple different dance groups.... and a few more that I can't think of. You could always try to create a guild if there isn't one that you're looking for. All it takes is communication with your local group, a meeting place, people, and a little paper work.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Koosei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 am
how hard is it to make one? I've been thinking I'd like to make my own fabric, but I don't think ther's anyone in my Barony who does it. I was gonna go to the next A&S meeting and doublecheck though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 am
i'm currently in the process of trying to form my own household and it's very similar to forming a guild...in fact, from what i understand, within the sca there isn't technically a difference between households and guilds...correct me if i'm wrong on that one.

paperwork isn't require if you want an informal group, and outside of that the only paperwork i know of is if you want a household/guild device/badge.  

Mrsbruhaha

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 pm
If you can't sing but want to be a bard, you might want to consider storytelling. 3nodding It could be traditional stories, period ones you have researched or "No s**t there we were!"  
Newcomers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games