Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Graphic Makers [TGM]

Back to Guilds

A guild where graphic designers / webpage builders can enjoy each others company. 

Tags: graphic, profile, web design, photoshop, design 

Reply Tutorials & Resources
Looking for great software?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Synthroxide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:08 am
So, some of you may be wondering what great software is out there for good graphic design, right? Well, I shall list them! 8D

Free Software

GIMP - This software is completely free to download and it acts like Photoshop in a way. There's brushes, and other things! I really didn't look much into it, so I don't have a lot of information.

Price: Free!

Operating System: Windows / Mac

Cheaper Software

Paintshop Pro X4 Ultimate - This nifty software hold brushes, patterns, and more! It's a great start off in the graphic designing world, and trust me, I used it for a year and it did good things for me. You can easily edit photographs, with this, for there are many photo filters. You can also add effects to your images, like make a ripple, and others. It has about everything that's similar to what you find in Adobe Photoshop. Click here to see a screenshot of how it looks. 8D

Price: >$100

Operating Systems: Windows

Expensive stuff

Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator CS5 - Adobe Photoshop is currently the BEST program out there that is used by professional artists and designers. It has everything you need and dream of. This thing holds brushes, patterns, shapes, and more! Yeah, I can't explain it all by words, I know. So I'll just give a screenshot 0: Click here to see what it looks like (yeah, my art's there xD).

Price: Retails at $1k+ but offers student prices in several regions for a few hundred bucks.

Operating Systems: Windows / Mac

Art Softwares

Open Canvas 5 - If you'd like to mimic painting styles with awesome brushes that are made to look like paint, pens, etc, then this is one of the software you can use. Many of the artists in the manga world on DeviantArt seem to use this. Unfortunately, you can only buy this with Japanese Yen (last time I checked) but you can always download a free trial of it. 8D Use this website to download it: http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/

Price: approx. $70+

Operating Systems: Windows

Corel Painter 12 - This is the most used painting software used by artists. This offers a wide variety of pens, paints, pencils, chalk, etc that you could think of and it looks like the real thing! Many professionals seems to use this software for their digital painting needs. I've tried it out with the free download, and it was absolutely awesome and worth the buy. ;D To go to their website, click here.

Price: $349

Operating Systems: Mac / Windows

If you have any other software you'd like to add here, just post in this thread saying so. :]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:20 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've got some advice!

I used GIMP for a year. it's good, but the quality of image isn't as great as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro X.

Photoshop can be bought for a FRACTION of the price if you are a student, which many of us are. I got mine for £90 ($180) because I'm a student. You just send in some of your details proving you are a student and you get it cheap.
8D

Shangrilicious

Synthroxide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:40 pm
Shangri-La`
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've got some advice!

I used GIMP for a year. it's good, but the quality of image isn't as great as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro X.

Photoshop can be bought for a FRACTION of the price if you are a student, which many of us are. I got mine for £90 ($180) because I'm a student. You just send in some of your details proving you are a student and you get it cheap.
8D

O: Thanks~ I'll add that. 8D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 pm
I love Adobe products...I couldn't live without my photoshop =]

I actually have Adobe Creative Suite CS3 which has like every great Adobe product in it...Everything from photoshop to flash...I love it ever so much!

But you're very right...it is expensive...  

Ask Josh

darkzoku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:25 am
yeah same! photoshop cs3.... hahas  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 pm
"Weirdness makes the world go 'round...

Hmm...I downloaded this program, totally free, Serif DrawPlus 4.0, and it's pretty neat...works for me, anyways.

(here)

I like the animating part of it.
And the free part. xP

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...and duct tape holds it together"

Kezzoa

Lonely Nerd

Sidhe the Unfeeling
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 am
Updated with relevant information and made into a Sticky. (: Good thread for people who need help getting the right software. Might improve on it~  
Tutorials & Resources

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games