Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Same-Sex Marriage Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Same-sex Marriage?
Yes for Same-sex Marriage
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
Religion out of the Gov't Civil Unions for All
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Same-sex Civil Unions are Okay
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 38

Kyo the III

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:45 am
TammiGirl
Kyo the III

if it was a genetic problem they would have meds for it.

Really? Because club foot is a genetic problem and they don't have meds for that. Same with Down syndrome. They also don't have meds that will give you blonde hair and blue eyes if you have brown hair and brown eyes. Looks to me like not all genetic factors in your life have pills that will turn them around.

Well i can't say that these aren't good points. Not going to lie. However There are treatments for club foot. Along with that Science are finding ways to genetically enhance the Fetes so you could pick blue eyes and brown hair for your child to be. Lastly they don't have cures for Down Syndrome. But i see all the time this disorder was caused by your stupid doctor. Here's a lawyer go sue. Ive never once seen your stupid doctor caused you to have a homo kid. Here's a lawyer go sue. And i get it, this point is ran after TV commercials but it kind of backs me up. That was just a response to a response.
I'm not saying "I HATE ALL HOMOS". Fact is I'm friends with some. However one clams its a mental thing and she was straight up until 9th Grade. Now she says shes asexual. Another one of my friend say it is a choice and he recall when he declared that he was gay. Another says its a choice but only after a girl broke up with him. And final the guy that backs up my theory became "gay" to pick up chicks....well he became gay two years into the act.

And finally for all you who thinks god accept gays, here a list of verses saying your wrong:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=LEV 18:22
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=LEV 20:13
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ROM 1:24-28
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1TIM 1:8-11
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=JUDE 7  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:59 pm
Tammi, those were all good points. 3nodding I was thinking maybe I'd have to handle all these anti-gays on my own.

Kyo, I don't know if we're talking about the same god here, but I know for a fact that the god I believe in accepts everyone. We are all children, we were all created by him. Besides, why would he punish gays for something they have no control over? Besides, like Tammi has said twice, a lot of gays, and people in general, really don't care what god thinks. So this renders any religion-based argument invalid. If we abide by the bible for the laws of america, we'd be violating our religious freedom. The bible also says 'thou shalt have no other gods before me.' and yet we have all manner of religions in America. Are you against everyone who's not a christian? As for your gay friends, I'm not saying there aren't gays out there who choose to be gay. But there are also gays who don't choose to be gay. As for the lastly mentioned gay friend, he is not a gay friend. Being gay to pick up chicks is contradictory and stupid. I'm surprised you would call him a friend.

p.s. if you're going to give us something to sue with, give us a lawyer, not a layer.  

Captain Syrus Haley

Kyo the III

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 pm
You know, us "Anti-Gays" have been told to show our proof...where is yours. Wheres the Hard Facts proving me wrong.

I'm thinking before we can declare if there is a gay gene we need to discover what causes love  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 pm
Kyo the III

Well i can't say that these aren't good points. Not going to lie. However There are treatments for club foot.

You said "meds." That's pharmacology. Club foot is treated through surgery and non-surgical realignment of the bones. That's osteopathic medicine. BIG difference.

Quote:
Along with that Science are finding ways to genetically enhance the Fetes so you could pick blue eyes and brown hair for your child to be.

1. Not the same as taking a pill in your adult life to give you blue eyes or brown hair, so your meds analogy still doesn't apply.

2. The methods discussed for doing this involve implanting protein strains in human embryos (not full formed fetuses). The science is rudimentary at best, and nowhere near to the point where you can tailor design hair color and eye color in a baby. Nor will it be any time soon, the sort of research and experimentation you need to conduct to do this are highly illegal and considered universally unethical.

Quote:
Lastly they don't have cures for Down Syndrome. But i see all the time this disorder was caused by your stupid doctor. Here's a lawyer go sue. Ive never once seen your stupid doctor caused you to have a homo kid. Here's a lawyer go sue. And i get it, this point is ran after TV commercials but it kind of backs me up. That was just a response to a response.

That's the problem with taking your knowledge of medical science from television commercials. Down syndrome is an exclusively chromosomal disorder. It is present in all human populations (strike one against your "doctors cause it" theory, bushmen in Africa aren't visiting your doctors, but they still have Down syndrome babies). It has also been thoroughly studied at the DNA level, and we know that it comes from additional 21st Chromosome material (either an additional 21st chromosome, or part of one). Nothing a doctor does to you in the course of prenatal care will add an additional chromosome to your fundamental genetic makeup.

Quote:
I'm not saying "I HATE ALL HOMOS". Fact is I'm friends with some. However one clams its a mental thing and she was straight up until 9th Grade. Now she says shes asexual.

Sexuality can be a complicated and confusing thing for some people, particularly those who aren't within the social norms. Relying on her self diagnosis of it, involving young ages where she is still developing and coping with new hormonal influences, really is a risky proposition. It's sort of like if she were to complain of gastric pains saying "I think I have appendicitis again." No one's doubting that she experienced a sensation before, but she may have dramatically misinterpreted it's cause (hint, you don't get appendicitis twice, you either get your appendix removed the first time, or you die when it ruptures and floods your bloodstream with toxins).

Quote:
Another one of my friend say it is a choice and he recall when he declared that he was gay.

Possibilities: your friend isn't gay, he's either drastically confused about things in life and emulating something in search of answers; or he is confusing realizing he's gay for choosing to be. Either that, or it's entirely possible that you have misinterpreted his statements on the matter.

Quote:
Another says its a choice but only after a girl broke up with him.

Possibilities: your friend isn't gay, he's either drastically confused about things in life and emulating something in search of answers; or he is confusing realizing he's gay for choosing to be. Either that, or it's entirely possible that you have misinterpreted his statements on the matter.

Quote:
And final the guy that backs up my theory became "gay" to pick up chicks....well he became gay two years into the act.

Or your friend really was gay all along, afraid to come out, and cooked up this absurd story as a cover to come out safely. As you have totally dodged my questions to you on this, I'm forced to conclude that citing all these friends is your tacit way of saying "oh, it could happen to anyone BUT me. I'm not going to "get addicted" to being gay no matter what. It's just what happens to those other people who get caught up." Which concedes an important point: if there's no way you could ever "turn gay," then by implication your sexuality is an inborn, unchangeable trait. That means in these other cases, homosexuality at least has a birth root in the concept that homosexuality involves not being born unflappably straight. Thus, in that respect, gay people were born with homosexuality.

Unless, of course, you think you yourself could be "turned gay" given the right circumstances.

Who cares? The Bible is not the supreme law of the United States, the Constitution is. I read it. God is not a member of, nor the head of any of the three branches of government, nor is there a fourth branch called the "God Branch."

Quote:
You know, us "Anti-Gays" have been told to show our proof...where is yours.

You're free to ask for a source to any claim you take issue with. I'm not going to bother asking your sources because your arguments are all based on anecdotal evidence. Most of them are largely made with ad hoc judgments that don't reveal a great depth of critical thinking on the matter. I'm sorry, but your four friends self assessments do not constitute proof. They are anecdotal accounts. For all I know, you're making them up on the spot to prove your point. Even if they are real, I hardly weigh someone's self diagnosis of their fundamental psychology as authoritative considering the possibilities that they themselves could be wrong, lying to you, or that you're misunderstanding them.

Now, over that I will take the statement of the American Psychological Association:

Quote:
"Research suggests that the homosexual orientation is in place very early in the life cycle, possibly even before birth. It is found in about ten percent of the population, a figure which is surprisingly constant across cultures, irrespective of the different moral values and standards of a particular culture." Statement on Homosexuality, American Psychological Association, 1994-JUL. 2

Reprinted in: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_caus.htm  

TammiGirl

Kyo the III

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:45 am
TammiGirl

Now, over that I will take the statement of the American Psychological Association:

Quote:
"Research suggests that the homosexual orientation is in place very early in the life cycle, possibly even before birth. It is found in about ten percent of the population, a figure which is surprisingly constant across cultures, irrespective of the different moral values and standards of a particular culture." Statement on Homosexuality, American Psychological Association, 1994-JUL. 2

Reprinted in: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_caus.htm

Thats not even close to hard facts. Key words as Suggestand possibly mean they don't know but some results show that it could.

I liked this line:
Quote:
"To date, all information and studies involving genetics have proven homosexuality to be environmental, not genetic." PFOX web site.

In quote number one key words are To Date, Proven, and not Genetic. Proven and not Genetic is a know reason to be key words but To Date meaning march 3rd 2010 (The Last updated) All data is proven the genetic theory wrong.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:48 am
Kyo the III
You know, us "Anti-Gays" have been told to show our proof...where is yours. Wheres the Hard Facts proving me wrong.

I'm thinking before we can declare if there is a gay gene we need to discover what causes love

I have been showing proof in multiple posts, and Tammi even quoted the American Psychological Association. What more proof do you need?  

Captain Syrus Haley

TammiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:07 am
Kyo the III

Thats not even close to hard facts. Key words as Suggestand possibly mean they don't know but some results show that it could.

Yeah, I guess if you focus on two words out of context in the first sentence and ignore the other portion that cites direct observational evidence it is really easy to dismiss claims. You totally ignored the part involving consistent observation of statistical proliferation of homosexuality unaffected by cultural or religious upbringing. That's a solid, observational, evidence based argument that lends credibility to the genetic explanation. Your playing semantics with wording is just being petulant.

Quote:
I liked this line:
Quote:
"To date, all information and studies involving genetics have proven homosexuality to be environmental, not genetic." PFOX web site.

In quote number one key words are To Date, Proven, and not Genetic. Proven and not Genetic is a know reason to be key words but To Date meaning march 3rd 2010 (The Last updated) All data is proven the genetic theory wrong.

Yeah, sounds real shocking till you consider the fact that they haven't cited any evidence. All they do is state that, in their opinion, none of the evidence supports a genetic theory. This might at least merit the bat of an eyelash except that PFOX isn't a scientific association. They're a "support group" whose main focus is pushing "Conversion Therapy." That's not a credible scientific source, that's a biased interest group who doesn't cite evidence.

Not that, at this point, I think having this pointed out to you is going to make much of a difference. You've clearly decided you want to believe homosexuality is a choice, and therefore can be altered. Even if you were confronted with irrefutable evidence, I'm certain it would do nothing to convince you of anything other than what you want to believe. Reason: you've got a problem with homosexuality. You might not have a problem with (certain) gay individuals, but looks to me like with your extensive knowledge of anti-gay biblical quotes and preference for the assessment of anti-gay organizations on the subject you clearly have a beef with homosexuality itself. There's no use trying to reason with a bigot.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 pm
RenFlower
If god doesn't like homosexuals, then why the hell did he make them? Please don't give me that free-will crap. People have no control over those hormones at all. Is is really a sin to love? A sin to be attracted to someone? If that someone happens to be of the same sex? Don't say Satan did it, either. That would mean that love is evil. And that goes against the whole frickin' bible. obviously i'm an athiest, but i don't mean to piss anyone off.

its cause of the fall were man kind went into sin soo pretty much we are all broken

Quote:
People who object to gay marriage don't necessarily object to gays. Most have no problem with homosexuals living together. What they object to is them being married in a traditional way that has always been exclusively between a man and a woman. They believe it will be detrimental to family values.

Tsukasa wave

Tipsy Trader

9,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Captain Syrus Haley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 pm
As stated multiple times, the bible is not the law here. The constitution is.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:55 pm
yes. If you are talking bout it "violates religion" then why the holy ******** can atheists marry? Apparently people here do not seem to know the difference between religious marriage and legal marriage. And to debunk another reason why cause people say it ruins the sanctity of marriage, how so? If there is anything that violates that is divorce. So why is divorce legal? Marriage aint gonna get no more violated then what it already is. And why are people even caring about something that has no affect on them what so ever? how will Bill and Ted getting married ruin you and Mary getting married? If "God" would rather see that 2 miserable heterosexuals in a relationship than 2 happy homosexuals in one then he aint no god of mine. Oh and stop using the Bible as an excuse cause the Bible (which makes good fire tender by the way)is not I repeat, is NOT our law. The Constitution is. Oh and homosexuality is not "unnatural" cause unnatural does not exist. Nature encompasses all. Plus if it would be considerd unnatural then why the ******** would they find over 500 species that have homosexual behaviors in them? End vent.  

cajunantichrist

airforce_freak6678

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:08 pm
Captain Syrus Haley
BarryKlob
It's just not natural.

Nothing about humankind is natural. Think of things like the 'natural' color of someone's hair. You wouldn't judge them if they got it dyed or highlighted or something. You shouldn't judge people based on their sexual orientation, either.
The fact is that it is completely natural! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PooEhBxh0NY as stated here.
I am 100% for same-sex marriage.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:43 pm
This was an intresting article involving the local newspaper from my home state, New Hampshire. "Live Free or die."  

Darth_Akira72987

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:27 pm
[[ As a moderate side-note here, it is interesting how the dialogue changes from the beginning of the thread to where it is now. This thread is quite old. ]]  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff