Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Question about Casting Circles and Altars

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Has anyone else ever felt silly casting a circle?
  Yes
  Only when I first started
  Nope
View Results

Ruin Feri

3,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:21 am
Well, I've been trying to cast a circle now that I have a few books on it. But everytime I do, I don't really feel anything other than silly. Though after I cast a circle the first time and banished it, I think I felt or sensed that there was a circle where I cast the circle that was..well...pure or clean...I don't know, maybe my imagination's gone ahead of me or I'm just wishing too hard. What should I do about my feeling silly about this? I've also never actually "seen" white or blue energy pouring out of my finger as I do this, though a book I'm reading says not to worry about that as my imagination will eventually develop and influence my sight while I'm doing this. Also, are there certain spells that you DON'T need to cast a circle for? I've read spells that you do before going to bed...do I need to cast a circle on my bed or something so that when I chant the spell, it'll work?

Also, my other questions were about altars. I have a small altar set up made of pieces of breaking boards (for Tae-kwon-Do), but I do want to use a white cloth to cover it. Can I cut up an old shirt to do this, or do I really need to go to a fabric store and specifically buy white fabric?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:00 am
An old shirt is fine as long as it's clean. You use what resources you can.
I feel weird casting a circle too. I think envisioning one is just as good, so sometimes I try that.  

Angel Bruja

Skadi-The-Elf

Ruthless Loiterer

17,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:23 am
I suppose we all feel a bit silly when we first start out. It can be quite difficult to do, but what helps is spending an hour right before the ritual in a mystical setting, like closing yourself off somewhere with incense and candles and simply absorpbing the ambience. it helps put your mind in the right state for magick.

And any cloth is fine for your altar, so long as it is clean and set aside specifically for use on your altar. it should not be used for anything else, as you dont want the energies of mundane life contaminating it. When I first started out, I used old bed linens, scarves, or whatever else i could find.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:52 pm
Whatever you want to use a cloth is just fine, so long as it's clean. Yeah, we all feel a bit silly when we first start. I feel silly waving a wand around to cast so I either use my athame, use salt, or just imagine it. (that's probably best for you)

Not all spells need a circle. You need a circle when doing an extended ritual so that something harmful can't get in and ruin your magic. If you're doing a spell to give you good dreams then you should cast a circle, to keep the bad dreams out. Pretty much all spells need a circle. The only kind that don't are the kind where you make sachels or something with herbs to help promote something (but that's a charm, not a spell). I suggest always using a circle, it doesn't hurt.  

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

Freyis

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 pm
I agree with the dragoness using a circle is always a good idea for extended spells or ceremony and being uncomfortable is natural right at first. I felt so stupid the first time I did it because I couldn't envision it the way the book I was reading at the time explained it eventually though I began to adapt the ritual of casting the circle to fit me better. Remember to keep trying and adapt it so it feels more comfortable to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:19 am
I also suggest to hit garage sales. You'd be surprised what you can find for a buck or two... I stocked my first altar completely from garage sales and goodwill. It was awesome.

As for the casting part, eventually it becomes second nature. Anymore I do more a mental casting, rather than drawing it out with a wand or dagger. I don't suppose you remember riding a bike for the first time. I do.. it felt wierd and awkward. Same with driving a car. Now, no big deal...  

Kitanya_Rose

Diana_Moon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:41 am
I feel silly sometimes...I do more visualizing than actually drawing of the circle, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:04 pm
well the fabric thing is fine, i was doing that for a long time too, as for the feeling silly bit, thats fine its always weird in the beginning but it becomes second nature soon enough, i would advise practicing raising energy in the form of a circle around you as practice for casting the circle.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

The gypsy Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:42 pm
i have a question also, my alter is against a wall. so when i cast a circle, do i just pretend the wall is not there?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:25 am
You can visualize the altar being at the very edge of the circle and cast the circle so that the wall is the boundary line of your circle. Or you can just ignore the wall and cast your circle just a bit wider than the room. Whatever works for you.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:57 am
lol, mine's against the wall as well, I just make it the limit of the circle. Mines...kind of big, I wouldn't be able to have it in the middle of the room if I wanted to. xd

I have a suggestion that might help you feel a bit more comfortable working spells. Set up your altar with candles and all that good stuff. cast your circle how you feel most comfortable, and then just do whatever comes naturally and feel "right" with the altar. I do this when I can't decide what to do, I often end up doing spell work right then and there, it's great for trying to get used to spell-working.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:59 am
thanks so much, both of you!  

The gypsy Queen

Faerth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:12 pm
I know this might sound weird, but so that I can see the circle, I usually make a circle on the ground with sea salt... sweatdrop

Also, I cast it on dirt, not concrete, or any of that crud. It's because my goddess that I worship is Gaia... kinda awkward... sweatdrop  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games