Welcome to Gaia! ::

The KoS Guild: The AMv capitol of the universe!

Back to Guilds

Reply The AMV Guild
Downloaded footage ((please read))

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Capiche?
  Capisce!
View Results

Desdemona Legardored
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:43 pm
Alright, I figure it's time for a talk about downloaded footage since we have to keep reminding people we don't approve of it here.

I understand fully that sometimes there's a show you want to edit to and the DVDs are not available and you hunt the raws somewhere to edit with. ((Notice I said raws -- not fansubs)). I just want to make sure it's clear that this guild does not condone downloaded footage. So, if you use it it should be a strict "don't-ask-don't-tell" situation. We don't want to hear where you downloaded it. And if someone does want to know --take it to PM.

However, if the show is out and available on DVD there is no excuse not to get the DVD footage. Especially not when DVD-ROMs cost $30-ish and the ripping footage is free online.

I apologize if anyone feels we may have singled them out. We just get tired of having to remind everyone. We're trying to keep within the TOS here -- and just like it is in the anime forum you can't share where to download things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:49 pm
What are so bad about fansubs and raw? I can understand if there is a DVD out, but if there isn't, I don't get why it's illegal. I'm sorry for being ignorant, but I just don't get why.  

ScottyQuick

Desdemona Legardored
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:53 pm
There's really not that much wrong with it aside from the fact that gaia states you cant talk about where to download it. Because even if you specify that you can only share where to download unlicensed shows --The licensed ones are bound to get shared. Basically it's really just gaia's way of covering it's a** so as not to get sued by any big companies.

In AMVs the raws are no problem. The fansubs, however, draw away from the video itself. In my opinion, they make the video look sloppy and n00bish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:52 pm
Laraeli
What are so bad about fansubs and raw? I can understand if there is a DVD out, but if there isn't, I don't get why it's illegal.

Licensing. Just because people in the US don't own the rights to it doesn't mean no one does. Downloading a series that isn't out in the US is just as bad legally as downloading one that is. And chances are, there are DVDs out for it, just not cheap R1s. Japanese people have DVDs, they just charge more. :/  

MalXII

Desdemona Legardored
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:19 am
MalXII
Laraeli
What are so bad about fansubs and raw? I can understand if there is a DVD out, but if there isn't, I don't get why it's illegal.

Licensing. Just because people in the US don't own the rights to it doesn't mean no one does. Downloading a series that isn't out in the US is just as bad legally as downloading one that is. And chances are, there are DVDs out for it, just not cheap R1s. Japanese people have DVDs, they just charge more. :/

Yesh! That's the other point -- I just forgot whilst I was typing sweatdrop
But R2s do get expensive sometimes gonk -- shame on me wanting the imports.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:56 am
i get imports from my uncle, but i cant get a dvd drive(too poor) and my comp sucks, so i coudnt run the program anyways. Since i own the dvd's its legal to download, right?

EDIT: bad grammer and run on sentence somewhat fixed....  

Jisaku Jiens

Desdemona Legardored
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:37 am
Ace Teh Impure
i get imports from my uncle, but i cant get a dvd drive(too poor) and my comp sucks, so i coudnt run the program anyways. Since i own the dvd's its legal to download, right?

Technically it's still illegal to download... Just don't announce it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 am
Desdemona Legardored
Ace Teh Impure

Technically it's still illegal to download... Just don't announce it.
I always thought it was ok for backup purposes......  

Jisaku Jiens

Mr_Pilkington
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 pm
Ace Teh Impure
I always thought it was ok for backup purposes......

A backup is an ISO copy of the DVD of choice. Downloaded footage is bad.

. <== That period means the word is final.
If you download footage, good for you. But its just and hindrance on your own technique. And we don't condone such actions. Legal or not, we're here to learn from each other, find an x.264 1333p, 120fps copy of any said show and we'll talk. But until that time that online media becomes better in quality than the available store bought dvds; (not to mention legal) the answer will always be no.  
The AMV Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games