Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I DID IT!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 am
okay. awhile back, I posted that I'd be working on a Roxas cosplay in the future...well, I got bored a few days ago, and started knitting up a wristband...it's finished. I also knitted up matching fingerbands to go with it...right before I located the ones i had originally made...

I'll get the pattern written up very soon (it's actually pretty simple for the most part!), but for now, enjoy the picture! (apologies for dial-up users...i couldn't figure out how to get the picture smaller on my dad's computer...>.<)

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:30 pm
Just out of curiosity, did you knit this flat? It kinda looks like your stockinette is twisted. I've found that a lot of people who learn to purl from books (myself included) tend to wrap the yarn in the wrong direction which results in twisted stitches.

Kudos to you for taking such great close-up photos!  

Tinuvial

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:05 pm
Tinuvial
Just out of curiosity, did you knit this flat? It kinda looks like your stockinette is twisted. I've found that a lot of people who learn to purl from books (myself included) tend to wrap the yarn in the wrong direction which results in twisted stitches.

yeah...i don't have DPNs atm, so i used my straights...and i did learn to purl from a book...so more than likely, the stitches are twisted...

as for the picture...i just slapped the wristband and fingerbands on my dad's scanner...  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:57 pm
Kanae Shin
Tinuvial

yeah...i don't have DPNs atm, so i used my straights...and i did learn to purl from a book...so more than likely, the stitches are twisted...

as for the picture...i just slapped the wristband and fingerbands on my dad's scanner...

On a scanner?!? That's bloody brill! xd

So, when you purl, you hold the yarn in front of the work, then wrap it away from you over the top of the needle then underneath coming back towards yourself. It makes your stockinette look like lots of little v's all lined up nicely in a row. If this is the direction you're wrapping it's likely that you just do one of the two stitches (knit vs. purl) tighter than the other. It is also possilbe that yarn you're working with biases, but that's usually only a problem with singles (and this yarn is plied).

Were you working from a pattern or did you improv this one?  

Tinuvial

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 pm
I totally improv'd the pattern....and i still managed to get it a little too big...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:09 am
Hey, looks nice! Knitting it was a good idea biggrin

I think you might want to take a look at this site: knittinghelp.com
The videos there are very nice, and helped me a lot (I'm a beginner too ^^). 3nodding  

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

Bucket~Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:15 am
I love it!
That's a brilliant idea to knit the wristbands and fingerbands for Roxas!

I can't criticise(sp?) your knitting at all, because I just taught myself using a book last night(seriously). xD

It looks great to me! (And I love the scanner idea.)

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games