Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Last year when they released that ORLY hat....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feather Kana

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 am
A question for anyone who has been on since at least August of last year.

Last year when they relelased that ORLY hat, did anybody else cringe?

I'll admit it. I think the hat is kind of cute, although I seldom wear it. But I originally had a very difficult time trying to decipher what the title of all the different poses meant.

Was I the only one who felt that way? Did anybody else cringe at Gaia's use of a Letter item promoting text talk?

I ask this now because I was strolling through the Weekly Comics archives and I came across the first comic they had produced, featuring that very hat. (And as a side comment, notice we do not get comics "weekly", now do we?)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:23 am
Yes that bothers me. I would have left Gaia long ago, since it is a testament to the idiocy and illiteracy claiming our society, except for two things: this guild, and the Extended Discussion Forum.  

Zyderic

Feather Kana

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:43 am
Oh....that forum.

I hang around there every once in a while but I have one problem with it; the overabundance of individuals who have read so much into psychology that it is more about them taking apart your comments in the forum, restating and overanalyzing them, instead of avidly commenting back on your remarks. I dislike such actions immensely. I go there for intense lively discussions, not to have my comments picked apart by people who don't agree with me and are trying to find some childish, gut emotional Freud response for my thinking instead of backing up their own words on the subject at hand.

After all, I have opinions, but I have solid reasons for my opinions, and if evidence is presented to the contrary, I am not the sort to overlook it. Even worse is someone deadlocked into their opinion and cannot change it.

PS, if you ARE just such an individual, I mean no offense to you personally. I sometimes do the same thing if I am talking with someone whose temper is getting out of hand. To me picking apart what I say isn't always the way to a lively discussion with me. I want to talk about the subject at hand, not the depths of my psyche, that is all.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:49 am
I'm personally amused by it.

I guess it's cause I use it to make fun of n00bs--and I'm certainly hoping that's what admins were planning on as well.

Nowadays, when I feel like being sarcastic, I flat-out state, "ORLY!? NOWAI!!one!1!1!"

As for the hat, I don't get the namesake. The OMG hat I get, not the ORLY, which is my only problem.

Dreaming in the Theatre

Drake Elias Zephyr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:32 pm
vindicated_angel

I guess it's cause I use it to make fun of n00bs--and I'm certainly hoping that's what admins were planning on as well.

Nowadays, when I feel like being sarcastic, I flat-out state, "ORLY!? NOWAI!!one!1!1!"

I agree. That's was it seemed like to me, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:52 pm
vindicated_angel

As for the hat, I don't get the namesake. The OMG hat I get, not the ORLY, which is my only problem.
I don't really like either of those hats, mostly because I don't think they'd go well on my avatar. The namesake for the ORLY hat is the O RLY? owl.  

choirperson

Calica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm
I still don't get the O RLY? owl. I think I was absent from the internet when that running gag was invented.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 pm
Gaia has had alot more issues than just producing a comic one a week. I think the hat is supposed to mean "Oh really?" I'm not too sure though.

Resplendent Eclipse

Malak al-Maut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:59 pm
The ORLY hat was based off the infamous O RLY owl meme. I have no idea where the original meme sprung up from, though I'm tempted to say 4chan. Anyway, the O RLY owl meme was just an image of a snow owl with its beak open, with the letters O RLY below the owl. Pretty much, it was an image reply to anything that was thought completely unbelievable. And yes, O RLY= "Oh, really? "  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games