Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Enough grammar control on the net, what about work?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:34 am
Yes I have a job. And yes, even more so, I have coworkers with grammar problems. I actually think my job is a good starter job, but that's not the problem. It's really tough to talk to at least a couple of my coworkers, who range from age 18 to 60, because of their poor grammar. It's not that I necessarily have to talk like them, or them like me, but it just gets in the way. Like an item that is "broken" and needs to be returned, they call it "broke". And "pallate", a platform of which to carry stuff on, is mixed up with wood pellets as just pellets. Maybe a lot of you don't know what this is like when it actually is spoken, but I do, and it's just so hard to communicate when you need to get things done around a plain old store.

I just thought it would be nice to talk about this sort of thing to you guys, even if it's not really on a forum. gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 pm
You need to learn to deal with it. Trying to correct someone's grammar, in person and on the spot, is like trying to say "You speak funny," without sounding offensive. I work in accounting, and even there, I hear the occasional word misuse* among my coworkers, but I wouldn't even consider trying to correct them.

One of them is from China. As you may know, Chinese has an entirely different grammar structure, which makes every other sentence a little puzzle to decode. Her accent only makes things more silly, and some tease her a bit for it, but everyone generally respects her.

*"Inconceivable!" "You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

EDIT: Hey, when did you get that hat? confused  

Bug Q Dlestra

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:30 am
Although I do work, it's a work-study job as a writing tutor, so none of my coworkers truly have a problem with grammar.

But as for your situation, you have two options. You can either stand there and take it politely, but correct them in your head, or you can speak up, gently, and see where it goes from there.

Be warned though, for correcting others is likely to get you alienated from your coworkers. No one likes to be corrected, especially at work. At least, that's what I believe.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:06 pm
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Hearing improper grammar makes my ears burn. I have to resist the urge to correct the offending person because I know it won't really do anything.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items