Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The actual grammar guild, is this original?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blocktapus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:22 am
Well, I used to be Nota, but I changed my name.. Again. But thats not the point.

Table of contents:
0: News, and bug fixes.
1: Introduction
2: Punctuation
3: How spelling system works
4: Txt-tlk?
5: Vocabulary words

Chapter 0: News
5/14/2007, 5:22 Well, chapters 0-2 are done, typing all the BBcode makes this topic more informative, but making the guide harder to type.

Chapter 1: Introduction
*Ahem.* So, you got accepted into this guild? Well, perfect. But, you want to brush up on your english? Well, thats where this comes.

The actual Grammar guild!
So, Figuring out the name of the actual guild, (The gaian grammar guild) I decided to help people out. And thats where this comes in!

Chapter two: Punctuation
So, you are interested in good grammar, Eh? Well, thats good. (Why are you even here in the first place? ... Exactly.) So, it goes like this.
When you write or type down something, you need good punctuation.
The first to note is the capital letter.
When you start a sentence, you start with a capital letter.
Today, I had lots of fun at the park.
See the T? Thats a capital letter.
Capital letter list:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Okay. You got that down? Perfect.
Next, you also use a capital letter when you say a person's name.
The swing went really fast, and Sally thought so too.
The S is capitalized because its the start of a persons name.
Next, you put a capital letter every time you say, I but its with no letter.
On the monkey bars, I almost fell off, but I didn't.
You also make I capitalized when you say I'm.

Got that all down? Perfect. Now its time for sentence endings.

When you end a sentence, you use the following letters to end it.

. ? !

Lets start with the first one: The .
The period, as we call it, is what you can see, A dot. It is very common.

Example:

Um.. On second thought, I'm using the period so much, I might not need an example.

The ?

The ?, or also known as the question mark, is not as common as the period, but is also used often.

When you end a sentence, you put a question mark at the end.
Example:

"Mom, when is the raining going to stop?"
The question mark appears some times it doesn't look like it should, too.

I wonder whats in the locked treasure chest?
It normally sounds like a period should be put at the end, but I guess not.

The !

The ! Or the exclamation mark, is used for exclaiming things. (Why do you think its called an exclamation mark?) When you end a sentence with a exclamation mark, You say the sentence like you normally would, except you say it slightly louder.

Other punctuation

"" , / :
There might be more for this, so be on the lookout.

One: The "and the"(As teachers say it, a talking mark.)

If you write semi-literate stories, (not like me, but I still write stories!) you might notice this one. When you are writing a story, and someone says something, you type a " before what they say, and a " After what they say. Example:

The weather man was talking.
"Hello, this is the weather boy. The day is rainy at high 66 and low 37." The TV announced.
"Mom, why is the TV talking instead of the Weather boy?" I asked.

Two: The ,
This is also another story writers important punctuation pieces: The comma. Normally, you end a sentence and take a small two second pause before starting to read the next. But, this is where the comma comes. Sometimes, you need to make the reader take a two second break without ending a sentence. Thats where the comma is. Also, commas come in while listing things.

Example:
"Okay, so for the quest I need 100 star pixies star pieces, 80 lunar pixie moon piece, and 50 sun pixie sun piece to finish the quest." The archer said.

Also, its important that when you end a list, take a look at the last thing on the list. Instead of adding a comma before that, remove the comma and replace it with one space and type, "and". Like in the example above.

Three: The :
The : (Or is it called a colon?) Is usually used to start a list. You say it before what you need for the list.
Example:
"Okay guys, we finished that quest. Heres the next step."
List:
10,000 slime gels
100 mushroom caps
Stone of +1 rareness

Well, thats it for chapters 0-2. My fingers are tired, so I'll give them a rest, and type the next few chapters later.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:52 am
Chapter 3: How the spelling system works

Well, you know how to use punctuation from last post, correct? Well, spelling is another problem.

When typing or writing a sentence, you need to have correct spelling. Heres how to do it for most words.

First, take the word.
Example: storys
Now, sound it out.
Example: storees
Now, we distribute the spelling system.
First, when y is right before s, you take them out.
Example: Stor
Now, add an i to the end, then add an e, lastly, an s.
Example: stories
Perfect! You got it!

Additional tips:
. When an H comes right after a s, or c, you change the sound to a Sch--ish sound, or a ctch-uh kind of sound, its hard to describe.
. I before E except after C! Easy to remember, The C part is rarely used, but remember this anyways!
. U always comes after Q!
Example: Quest
. I think every word has a vowel. (A, E, I, O, or U) However, every word without a vowel, I think is not a word.
. If a letter is not a vowel, it is called a constenant.
. Sometimes, Y is considered a vowel.
. Words using this example don't always word, such as school. You might have to expirement. Dictionaries help with this, because they show how to pronounce a word.
. Got any more to add? Just tell me! Don't hesitate! Your info will be here!

Chapter four: Txt-tlk?

Well, as grammarians, (or as the leader calls us) we support good grammar. (meaning we have punctuation, good spelling, and our sentences make sense.) However, the opposite? Those are txt-tlkers, or in rare cases, chat speakers.

Q. txt-tlk, chat speak, whats the difference?
A. Well, not much, actually. I guess txt-tlk just doesn't have a vowel.
Q. But doesn't that mean its not a word? I got that from last chapter.
You said and I quote: I think every word has a vowel. (A, E, I, O, or U) However, every word without a vowel, I think is not a word.
A. Well, I'm not the one who thought of the word, txt-tlk. I don't know who did, but before than, it used to be called, chatspeak.

Anyways...
Text talk is a hybrid of bad spelling, and using symbols that look like a letter instead of a letter. Luckily, as a great translater, I will show you how to translate.
"G1v3 m3 50m3 m350rz p10x" The random person said to me.
"Excuse me..... What?" I said.
Translation: Give me some mesos please.
How did I find that out? In the word Give, the 1 just needs you to remove 1 pixel from it and it will look like an I. the 3 has the same curls an e does, but its backwards. If you turn a 3 backwards, it looks just like a capital, cursive, E!
me: The 3 had the same example as the e.
Some: When you look at a 5, it is mostly of straight lines. The s is the opposite. See some changes? the 0 looks like an o, but the 0 is taller. still, another 3 pops up.
Mesos: (Note: You will only know this word if you play maple story, sorry!) The classical 3 comes up again. The five is doubled up with the some. the - is the same as 0, and for some reason, I think that they never use the same text talk symbol twice in a row. So they replaced the 0 with an R. The Z sounds like an S, correct?
Please, Oh, I hate this one. the 1 can also look like an L, and the 0 is an o. I hate this one because people spam it so often.

Well, this one was a lot easier due to less BBcode, no table of contents, my skills at translating chatspeak, And only two chapters to type.  

Blocktapus

BlueBlythe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:23 am
Blocktapus

"Text talk is a hybrid of bad spelling, and using symbols that look like a letter instead of a letter. Luckily, as a great translater, I will show you how to translate.
"G1v3 m3 50m3 m350rz p10x" The random person said to me.

Thanks! Although I'm sure you didn't give the person what he wanted.
I can do basic translation, but not hard-core ones..O-o
They take me one hour.
XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:33 pm
That... was.... definitely not the best guide ever. Things were spelled incorrectly, apostrophes weren't used... Oy.  

Organic Shadows

OneMightyTHOR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:02 am
Organic Shadows
That... was.... definitely not the best guide ever. Things were spelled incorrectly, apostrophes weren't used... Oy.

Oi, indeed! lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 pm
Organic Shadows

I agree, the first thing I noticed was the lack of apostrophes. However, when you're teaching grammar to a foreigner, I think this is pretty practical. wink  

Zealot of Insanity

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:54 pm
I noticed numerous mistakes in your lovely wall of text, but no one is perfect.
Therefore, I'm not going to be the one to b***h about it.
Other than that, you made me laugh a bit.
Lyk, lol.
You just tempted me to join the Pro Txt-tlk Guild and type all literate.
I mean, it can't be hard to get into.
"I WANA JOIN LOLOLOLOL"
But that would be pretty disrespectful, even though they have no respect for us.
stare
~~Hey, th` name's Cressy.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces