Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you like these fancy hi-teck sewing machines?
  yes
  no
View Results

Alekusu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:47 am
what do you all think about these new sewing machines that do everything known to man?

I personally think it's cheating, I mean if you want to embroider somthing you should do it by hand, not sit their and let a machine do it.

I don't mean to be rude. I have nothing against people who prefer these machines that have half a pc built in to it. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:17 pm
I feel that those hue fancy amchines have a place and time. Doing huge pieces that would take years to do by hand, using metallic threads, or when making multiples of things- thats when they are nice. But I'm all for the idea of hand done work for many smaller projects.  

Silver Mist

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:08 pm
As Silver said, they do have a time and a place. I'm all for doing things by hand, but when you don't have the time or the patience to do all that embroidery by hand, or when you need to do the same pattern several times? I think thats when the machines are particularly useful. There have been several times when i've wanted embroidery on something, but i'm a sewer, not an embroiderer. I can't do a ton of it at once. I can, however, figure out the computer program and watch it go.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:20 pm
I agree that there is a time and a place for those machines, but as a costumer I've taken a liking to them. When you have to reproduce the same motif multiple times around a garment it is much easier to have the machine do it while you work on other costume pieces. We used them this summer on a show I was working on that has a lot of knights for different kingdoms (it was an interesting show, the director had written it.) But if I had had to embroidery the three different emblems ten times each I think I would have quit after the first two. However, for personal items I love doing hand embroidery. I have a pair of pants, now known as the fish pants, that I've been working on for two years. I've finaly finished the fish, but just keep adding waves and other stuff to the leg.  

Lexi Marie

Revolution4AGeneration

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:40 pm
depends on what you are trying to sew  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out