Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Rules & Debate [01/26/10]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Hallowed Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:51 pm
The Republican Guild Rules
The following are the basic rules of the guild. These are not limited to the following, and by the Guild FAQ we have the right to remove members for any reason we see fit.

No Spamming
Spam is any post that has no topic related to anything, usually meant for just getting gold.

No Flaming
"If you're deriding ideas, you're debating aggressively and need to be careful not to cross the line. If you are trying to hurt or belittle people, you are flaming. I like debate, I hate flames." ~Lord Bitememan

No Harassment
We have gotten some reports of harassment between members via PM. This is a report between Gaia and the Members, however, if we feel it is part of the guild, we will deal with it as well. Any harassment in threads will be dealt with heavily!

TOS & Guild FAQ
View Gaia links leading the these specific threads to find these.

Refrain from Double Posts
Double Posts only make it really hard to extend a conversation, and just waste a page anyways. It's not an official rule, but it's appreciated.

Debate
The essentials to an intelligent debate.
Anything colored in red is necessary

Links Are Your Friends
With any topic, a nice little link leading to a reliable news source (ie; Fox News, CNN, CSPAN, Library of Congress) is an essential to a topic. This will help readers of your topic understand the issue at hand, and have an easier time settling an argument.

Have Meaning
Having a standing reason with evidence is the best way to argue a topic. Ranting on about how horrible democrats are is not a way to debate. It's almost as illogical as "I Hate Bush." However, a sarcastic comment to an obvious fallacy is a little humorous.

Have Fun
Don't get too hot-headed in a simple discussion, people will vary in opinion. Keep your head cool, and your feet hot, and have a wholly good time.

Any Questions Consult Thread  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:07 pm
Define flaming.
Disagreements are common, especially in political discussions.
Saying someone is wrong and showing evidence, does this count as flaming because on some forums it does.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 pm
Well, Hallowed Mouse doesn't really post very frequently, so it's mainly Rainbowfied Mouse, latopazora, and myself. I tend to use a simple rubric when defining a flame. If you're challenging ideas, you're debating. If you're challenging people, it's ad hominem. If you're deriding ideas, you're debating aggressively and need to be careful not to cross the line. If you are trying to hurt or belittle people, you are flaming. I like debate, I hate flames.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:47 pm
I agree with LB.

Flame is a slang term on this site referring to an attack towards a user... it's pretty much harassment with a hint of verbal abuse.  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:02 pm
Ah, okay.
Insult is flaming. Debate, even heated, is kosher. Got it. Just watch the line between adding insult to debate like- "You're wrong you stupid little piece of &%$"

Sorry for the clarification. It seemed necessary though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm
When in doubt, defer to Justice Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:16 am
Lord Bitememan
When in doubt, defer to Justice Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity.

Hey...
I know it when I see it...

biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm
The Hallowed Mouse
-No Spamming
-DO NOT PM others with nasty messages. I have been getting reports of this by some members. Doing this act will get you banned from the guild on certain occasions!
What would happen if we did this but,it had nothing to do with a discussion in the guild?

Timmyboy59

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 am
We're here to ensure that people play nice as it pertains to their being members of this guild. If you send nasty messages to people in this guild and they complain, we will evaluate it. If you send nasty messages to people outside this guild, it's between you and Gaia. If you were sending nasty messages to someone in this guild before coming here, and continue doing it here, and the other person complains about it, we might seriously consider banning both parties for dragging their personal disputes into our group.

When in doubt, play nice.  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff