Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
What kinda Wiccan be ye? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am:
  Traditional
  Neo/Eclectic
  Witch
  Pagan
  Agnostic
  Atheist
  Other...Judaic based
  Other...Non-Christian based
View Results

XRecluses_LightX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:12 pm
too2sweet

7/12/08 So based on some of the comments made, I came up here and read the opening post and decided that it was time to actually put in some valid definitions and also open it up to other paths. These definitions are courtesy of the Pagans on Gaia thread.

Wiccan (Traditional)
Traditional Wicca is a religion created by Gerald Gardner mid 20th century. It is, at its core, an orthopraxic, initiatory, fertility based, mystery religion (not a nature-based religion as is often sited). In order to be a Traditional Wiccan, you must be (or have been at some time) an initiated member of a lineaged Coven. What does that mean? It means two things. The first is that your Coven can trace its genesis back to Gerald Gardner through cross gender initiation. The second is that your Coven still upholds and honors the practices, traditions, and information originating with Gardner. That is not to say that there are no differences between individual Covens. Covens are autonomous units with their own leadership. In addition, there are a handful of different lineaged traditions. These include Gardnerian, Alexandrian, and BTW. However, despite traditions and minor differences between Covens, there will be several constants.

To be honest, you know if you are a Traditional Wiccan. If you are not sure, or do not know what a Traditional Wiccan is, or do not agree with the definition here of a Traditional Wiccan than (for the purposes of this thread) you are not one.

Wiccan (Neo/Eclectic)
This is where the vast majority of those who use the title Wiccan fall. Neo-Wicca is far more difficult to define, as there is no true codification to unite the myriad of groups and individuals who consider themselves Wiccan (excluding Traditional Wiccans of course). For the purpose of this thread, Neo-Wicca is a religion that mirrors Traditional Wicca as closely as it can. It is often practiced in a Solitary manner, however, there are many Covens and Circles that do not fall into the specifics of Traditional Wicca but that would be considered Neo/Eclectic. Some defining characteristics are polytheism, a belief in reincarnation, following of natural and lunar cycles (including the celebration of sabbats and esbats), and adhering to the Wiccan Rede of "An it harm none, do as thy will." While Traditional Wicca is a fertility religion, Neo/Eclectic Wicca is often interpreted as a nature religion. (Technically these paths are not Wiccan, and are simply misappropriating the word.)

Witch
All Wiccans (Traditional, Neo, Eclectic, et al.) are witches, however, not all witches are Wiccans, and many simply prefer to consider themselves a Witch. Both men and women are both considered Witches. The most simple definition of Witch is an individual who practices the art of witchcraft. The most simple definition of witchcraft is a concept used to describe a mode of rationality or way of thinking that looks to invisible forces to influence events, effect change in material conditions, or present the illusion of change. One can be a witch without any sort of religious connotations or practices. Furthermore, one can be a witch inside most any religious framework.

Pagan (Neo/Otherwise)
While there is some debate about the origins and usage of this word, for our purposes, a Pagan is anyone who practices a non-Abrahamic faith. All Wiccans (Traditional or otherwise) are Pagan. Though some prefer to simply identify as Pagan rather than ascribing to a specific definition such as Wiccan. It is because Pagan is such a wide umbrella that we have decided to use it for the title of this thread.

Agnostic
In essence, an Agnostic is simply someone who is open to the idea that there is something greater than humankind running the show, but they are not sure what shape(s) that entity takes.

Atheist
An Atheist is one who denies the existence of any greater entity in any form.

Other (Judaic Based Religion)
This is pretty self explanatory. If one follows or identifies with any Judaic/Abrahamic (Judaism, Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, etc.) religion, this is your other.

Other (Non-Christian Based Religion)
In some ways this option is redundant, as it is covered by most other options, especially Paganism. However, as there are many who practice non-Abrahamic religions (often of an Eastern persuasion) such as Buddhism or Hinduism that do not consider their religion to be Pagan, we wanted to give you a home.

Fluffy Bunny
Feel free to embrace your fluff here. Generally, "Fluffy Bunny" is a derogatory term for anyone who claims to be Wiccan yet knows absolutely nothing of their religion and makes no attempt to learn. Traditional Wiccan's will often use it to describe Neo-Wiccans or anyone who thinks that they are Wiccan without having any idea what Wicca is. It can also be someone who thinks that Wicca is a grab bag of pick and choose... only listening to those parts that appeal and denying anything that might be uncomfortable or hard. Other uses for the term include those who have decided to call themselves Wiccan or Pagan simply because it "is cool" or aggravates/shocks their friends, family, and society at large.

Label What? Who?
Who are we to try to label beliefs? Just a few people creating a community of people living the Pagan life. Don't like labels... that's cool. You are who you are.

ORIGINAL POSTER
Hey I just joined the forums a few days ago and I have grown curious about what the majority on here think about the "rules" of Wicca and such.

In my studies of come to know that usually Wicca can be divided up into three types:

Orthodox- Also known as Gardnerian. Usually have very strict ideals in Wicca. For instance many believe you MUST be initiated into a coven to be called a Wiccan.

Traditional- I believe this is the majority. People follow many guidelines but are not too strict.

Eclectic- Wiccans who's beliefs vary extremely from person to person and make their own guidelines and such.

Each of course is just as good as the other and some might say that there are no "denominations". This maybe true but I suppose people end up categorizing anyways...woops lol. Just curious on your thoughts!

I guess I should contribute first seeing as this be my thread eh?

I consider myself an Eclectic Wiccan. I practice rituals in a usual form and believe in the lord and the lady and all the forms that they take. I also believe in the usual description of magick. That's where the similarities to canon-if you could say there is such a thing-end.

A lot of my beliefs were influenced by the works of Jane Roberts and the entity she channeled named Seth. I would talk about that but it would take too much space. If anyone is curious just look up Seth Speaks.

Some of the things expressed by Seth were ideas of the multidimensional self, multiple lives going on at the same time, no path un-taken in decisions (see 4th-10th dimension), and the belief that existence has been and always will be.

Yeah so post people!!

::EDIT::

Eclectic Wiccans usually follow the wiccan rede and the threefold law. They almost alway believe something similar to the lord and lady. I believe these things are essential to being called wiccan anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:31 pm
im ecclectic...my calling is drawn to the animals and im studying to become a animal speaker/ animal healer  

Geisha Princess

WildWildWindWhisperer

Eloquent Autobiographer

6,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:21 am
Eclectic- Wiccans who's beliefs vary extremely from person to person and make their own guidelines and such.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:48 am
I'm a traditional and follow the Wiccan Rede  

Sanutamar

Man-Hungry Vampire

13,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200

XRecluses_LightX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 am
Sanutamar
I'm a traditional and follow the Wiccan Rede

I did not mean to say that Eclectic do not follow the Wiccan Rede. Indeed if they did not then they wouldn't really be Wiccan...they would just be some other pagan religion. Eclectic also follow the threefold law.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 pm
traditional  

The gypsy Queen

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:55 pm
i be... eclectic. until i find a coven to join.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:01 pm
I'm eclectic but i would consider myself closer to traditional. We're not quite organized enough to be really true traditional. we always miss stuff in our rituals ><  

Kindras

Foxmore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:49 pm
I'm eclectic as well. I learned about lots of different paths before I decided that Wicca was the one for me. Those learnings effect my beliefs now.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:15 am
im a solitary cause i never really joined a coven.  

Geisha Princess

The gypsy Queen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:01 pm
what is eclectic?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:01 am
The gypsy Queen
what is eclectic?

1. selecting or choosing from various sources.
2. made up of what is selected from different sources.
3. not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.
4. noting or pertaining to works of architecture, decoration, landscaping, etc., produced by a certain person or during a certain period, that derive from a wide range of historic styles, the style in each instance often being chosen for its fancied appropriateness to local tradition, local geography, the purpose to be served, or the cultural background of the client.

That's what dictionary.com says Eclectic is.

When it pertains to Wicca it means a person that uses the core values of Wicca and combines them with other philosophical ideas and beliefs to make your own personal tradition.  

XRecluses_LightX

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:41 am
I consider myself to be solitary but I think I'm more like an eclectic.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:24 am
Im a Danic Wiccan  

deadly_siner

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games