Reply Avatar Talk
Something that I have noticed...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Qwannah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:01 pm
Has anyone else besides myself noticed that the more clutter on an avatar the higher the rate you will get; if executed well. When I first came into the AT about 2 years ago an avatar like mine had a high chance of getting a 10, but now with all the new MC's and other items that have different equip options, people have cluttered more and made their avatars complex. Now I know that using all those items is hard, but I simply cannot understand why people give higher rates to those with more items... So lets discuss... =D

-Cluttered/Complex avatars.
-Why this "trend" keeps growing and becoming more of a custom.
-Realistic Avatars versus Complex Avatars  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:42 pm
Like you said, it's a trend, what's ever the hot thing to do is what will get higher scores. I notice it's because most people are doing clutter, they will like other clutter avatars alot. I been in the AT on and off for 3 years, and there are cycles to what is "in" and what is "out". I remember when I started I would wear buckies and they were so unpopular, people would knock 3 to 5 points off my score just for the teeth. Now people don't even bat a lash at them.

But I think that if you have a good avatar, you still get good scores. I don't think my look is too cluttered and I get 10's.  

Jibo Phoenix

Qwannah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:59 pm
Jibo Phoenix
Like you said, it's a trend, what's ever the hot thing to do is what will get higher scores. I notice it's because most people are doing clutter, they will like other clutter avatars alot. I been in the AT on and off for 3 years, and there are cycles to what is "in" and what is "out". I remember when I started I would wear buckies and they were so unpopular, people would knock 3 to 5 points off my score just for the teeth. Now people don't even bat a lash at them.

But I think that if you have a good avatar, you still get good scores. I don't think my look is too cluttered and I get 10's.

You are right, I did say it was a trend, but the trend just keeps adding on, the more items you can match and make it look great, the higher the score will be.

If you do have an avatar you do get good scores, I believe that is a custom, but adding too many items I think ruins the beauty of the avatar, I mean so people get really analytical and try to cover up skin with an odd item then they have to add stuff to match that.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:06 pm
"Clutter" and "Complex" are two entirely different animals. A cluttered avatar is what happens when a person just throws a whole bunch of stuff on without being very selective, and it has the effect of mixing prints with plaids in real life. Cluttered avatars do not cohere into one solid outfit, and pile on more and more layers just because the colors match. The color balance and weight are normally off.

Complex avatars, on the other hand, are avatars with many small details that are carefully chosen to aid in color, theme, and skin distribution.

User Image User Image These avatars are cluttered.

User Image User Image These avatars are complex.

See the difference? It's the complex avatars that get good rates, because they're planned well and look nice. Clutter is by definition incoherent, so it will never look good.  

Lucca Ashtear

Qwannah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:03 pm
Lucca Ashtear
"Clutter" and "Complex" are two entirely different animals. A cluttered avatar is what happens when a person just throws a whole bunch of stuff on without being very selective, and it has the effect of mixing prints with plaids in real life. Cluttered avatars do not cohere into one solid outfit, and pile on more and more layers just because the colors match. The color balance and weight are normally off.

Complex avatars, on the other hand, are avatars with many small details that are carefully chosen to aid in color, theme, and skin distribution.

User Image User Image These avatars are cluttered.

User Image User Image These avatars are complex.

See the difference? It's the complex avatars that get good rates, because they're planned well and look nice. Clutter is by definition incoherent, so it will never look good.

Yes, but people tend to mix those 2 definitions together nowadays and make them seem like the same thing, therefore making the cluttered get a higher rate just like the complex.  

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games