Drugs Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:53 pm
I recenty have been noticing alot of my friends use drugs claiming that it raises their spiritual awareness. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyones beliefs but I think we could discuss this here.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:30 pm
Interestingly enough, I found out my High Priestess does pot xp

I'm not too happy about it, but I still have much respect for her to say anything to her about it that would offend her redface  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:25 am
There's nothing wrong with plants to alter the state of mind, and Marijuana is not a harmful nor dangerous one. Everything the American Government says aobut it, usually, is a lie.
All pot does, though its different from person to person, is alter your awareness to many things, make you sleepy/give you energy (depending on matabolism, I suppose), make you hungry, and prevet most forms of Cancer.

However, hard drugs like Heroin, Cocaine, Extasy, Angeldust, and most chemical drugs are horrible for a person, and shouldn't be even thought about, let alone done.

Naturally Grown plants are usually not harmful, least of all Marijuana.
Do you know why it was outlawed? The Texans were looking for a reason to pick on all the Mexican Immagrants who were coming in when the states was still young. (No offence to Texans, but your ancestors were a bunch of jerks, to be honest.) So they started claiming that the Marijuana the Mexican's were bringing over with them, which is where it pretty much started, was very dangerous, and should be outlawed. The Government, being stupid, and having never heard of Marijuana, agreed, and it became illegal. Thats why its Illegal.
Then, during the reign of Regan, scientists did tests that proved it did exactly what potheads say it does; makes you hungry, alters your awareness to make you notice things you normally wouldn't, and generally calms people down. This infuriated Regan, and he twisted it, reversed it, and destroyed the evidence that proved otherwise. He created the DEA, and now Pot's even more illegal then it was to begin with.
Whats worse is they force that on Canada, too, who KNOW'S there's nothing wrong with Pot, and wants to Legalize It. But America, so I've heard, has threatend war if we do. But that's simple gossip. Of course, it would explain why its still not legal here, when clearly it should have been at least a year ago, by now.

They should spend more time cracking down on Cocain, Crack, and Heroin Dealers, then on Marijuana dealers/growers. At least Pot's never been directly responsible for heart attacks, strokes, nose-bleeds, or death. Stop picking on the people who grow relaxation, and pick on the ones who sell things that could kill you at any moment, depending on your tolerance. Heck, you never know if you're alergic to Extasy, and that first pill might kill you on the spot! Pick on the people who sell that! Am I right?

Sorry if I ramble. I've been wanting to say all that for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:01 am
Interesting points Winter. While I agree with you that pot is essentially harmless (to a certain point. Say it's about as bad as alcohol), and is even less addictive than ciggaretts, I wouldn't ever use it in ritual, as I see that as a cruch. Yes, it does help out in certain situations, and there are plants (or mushrooms rather) that can aid in visions, I find that it would be better to train yourself to entre the dream/vision state by yourself, instead of using outside aid. That way you know you can depend on yourself, instead of being a slave to your herbs whenever you want to seek out a vision.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:58 pm
Winter Black
Whats worse is they force that on Canada, too, who KNOW'S there's nothing wrong with Pot, and wants to Legalize It. But America, so I've heard, has threatend war if we do. But that's simple gossip. Of course, it would explain why its still not legal here, when clearly it should have been at least a year ago, by now.

Yeah, I think that's a rumor to get people stirred up- it sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

I agree with Seraph about drugs being a crutch- whether or not they're dangerous to your health, if you can't reach altered states on your own then taking a drug isn't going to teach you how to do so. It's just going to do it for you, which will weaken you in the end- and if you don't do it right, it really could be dangerous, both medically and metaphysically. There's nothing quite like OD'ing and blasting those psychic doors wide open to any and all at the same time. Besides- just look at what calculators are doing to people these days. A simple, benign device like that- totally non-threatening to physical health- and people are so used to using calculators for any sort of math-related problem that a lot of them can't even do simple addition or subtraction problems anymore. Lean on your crutch and your muscles atrophy- it's as simple as that. I don't approve of drug-induced altered states for spiritual purposes.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:05 pm
I agree with all the points stated (chemical vs. natural drugs, marijuana being safe, etc.), except for the crutch part. I disagree that herbs are always a crutch, no matter who uses them. I believe that individuals who do not have the proper training in using natural, mind-altering substances will/do use them as a crutch; however, individuals such as native tribes' medicine men/women train themselves and their apprentices extensively on the proper usages of the herbs, as with other tools.

So blah, there's my two cents. razz  

Jameta
Captain

Keistera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:36 pm
I agree with your points on Marijuana, except:

Quote:
Naturally Grown plants are usually not harmful

The thing that bugs me is when people say, "It's a herb/natural product! It's perfectly harmless!" ... Assuming that, because something is 'natural', it's 'harmless' is silly. That's my problem with, say, Herbal Magic. You tell me exactly what is in your product so I can look it up and judge for myself, then I'll tell you if I feel safe with the product. Paranoid? Yes. Rightfully so. Nature is equipped to protect itself when it feels threatened. Some plants contain toxins to prevent animals from eating them, after all. Epinephrine has, in the past two years, been banned/limited -- it used to be a popular weight-loss product. I can't recall the name of the actual herb or combination thereof, though.

The 'hard drugs' are the worst of all. The plain fact is, we just don't know what's in them. We don't know what it is cut with, or what the manufacturer adds to the mix. It just isn't worth the risk.

Some folk could and do cut marijuana with harmful substances, however, the people that I know usually grow their own -- so the claim that the drug is safe, in that case, is true. razz I still refuse to use anything like that for ritual, or even recreational use. Yech.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:03 pm
Good point, Keistera. 3nodding It is good to keep in mind the beneficial and harmful sides of nature in mind in discussions such as usage of natural substances.

And, of course, too much of anything is bad for a person.

...Did I state that already? sweatdrop  

Jameta
Captain

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:02 pm
Good point about the "all natural doesn't mean safe". Want to try some of my home-grown nightshade?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:07 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
While I agree with you that pot is essentially harmless (to a certain point. Say it's about as bad as alcohol)

Marijuana is no where near as harmful to the body as alchohol. I should know, I'm drinking Vodka right now. I can feel my liver slowly being destroyed every four drinks. And I drink a lot.

Keistera:
To a certain point, most plants are generally not harmful. Some shouldn't be taken while on certain medications, or by pregnant women, but generally, a lot of herbs and such are usually not going to hurt you.
Of course, smoking anything isn't generally the best for you (which is why I like to make tea from Marijuana stock, or use it in baking), but still.

And while I do agree with Nihl about not using it in Ritual, that doesn't mean you can't use it at all. I mean, if its just a recreational thing, it's fine. Marijuana prevents Heart Attacks, its been proven. Whereas Cocaine causes them. Which would you rather do?
(Personally, I could never do a drug that involved sucking something up my nose... And I could never smoke one named after a part of my a**, either. Unfortunately, I have to admit to having tried Heroin on one occasion, but I hated it, and never did it again. (Not by needle, Heroin can be smoked.) So yeah...)

But anyways, is this turning into an arguement? ^^;;

Jameta, yes, anything in excess is bad for a person. Anything, and that includes generally healthy things. And while there are maybe a few bad points to Marijuana (it makes me sleepy if I do it during the day, and smoking anything is generally not a good thing) I do believe it has more pro's than it does cons. Other than being currently illegal for no real reason. >.<

Winter Black
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:09 pm
I think we've ended up with a fine case of "to each their own".  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:11 pm
Amen! XD No fighting over it, because everyone will have their own opinions. [nods]  

Winter Black
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:15 pm
For example, I'm asthmathic, so kinda have a thing against drawing burning smoke into my lungs...Plus, I don't think I'd enjoy eating it anyway. Just kinda have a inborn feeling saying "no!" for using it in ritual. Recreationally, maybe. But I'd rather drink.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:33 pm
Whereas I am a smoker anyways, drink like a fish (Vodka and Rum), and pretty much do as I feel I should.
My whole family, boyfriend included, are potheads. I don't do it half as much as even one of them. I feel like the odd one out, half the time, because they will all be sitting there passing a joint, and I'll be like "Nah, not in the mood." My own mother tries to peer-presure me into it, when I don't feel like it.
Which, right there, proves there is no addiction. [nods]
I do, however, prefer to drink tea made from the stems, because its a lot better, and tastes really good with Honey and Milk. XD
To each their own.

Winter Black
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:38 pm
No, I'm pretty sure there is an addiction. it's just not that strong, but it's there. A frind of mine decided to stop smoking pot because it was completely screwing up his grades, and he didn't have to many problems dropping it. It's a very weak addiction, but I'm sure its there.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff