Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Grammar Vandal Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:46 pm
If you're in this guild, then you obviously care about grammar, but do you know anyone who carries a sharpie and a pack of punctuation stickers for correcting grammar on signs?

Here's a somewhat high-profile Grammar Vandal who goes around doing exactly that.

What do you think about this? I'd say that going around vandalising is going too far.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:32 am
I agree that this young woman has gone too far. Misspelled grammar may be a blight on the landscape, yet so are the corrections. Her intentions, although they may be good, come across as almost callous and full of self-righteousness. No one should be publicly humiliated like that. The pen is mightier than the sword. It can hit hard, and hurt. So can the correction marker.  

Amaya84

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:30 am
I agree also.

She did go too far. Before all the elitists here jump all over me, hear me out. First of all, vandalism, correct grammar or not, is illegal. Second, that can also be considered destruction of property should the owner wish to claim that. Last, honestly, let the people correct themselves.

I can understand an essay, but sheesh...a sign?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 am
I fixed on of the school library books once...one of the words was missing a letter at the end. So I got out my pen and drew it in. But I made sure it looked like it blended in with the rest of the typeface.  

Niccea Majeare

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:08 pm
It's funny... I've been tempted to, but vandalism is going a little too far.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:36 am
As much as badly worded signs make me go gonk I've never had the urge to take out my marker and correct them. This evening, I was sitting at the front of the bus. The sign where the bus was going was right in front of me. It said xxxxxxx Hieghths. Yesh, it was supposed to say 'Heights.' I chose to stare out the window at the fancy Mercedes-Benz beside me.  

applecyder

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:23 am
Is it considered vandalism by correcting something? confused  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:08 pm
Seriously, this is a bit much. I think I've seen some signs where people have crossed out the misspelled/mispunctuated words/phrases, and I always thing "Why, exactly?". I mean, yeah, they look stupid. Althought...Doesn't it make it look even more ridiculous to spell-check it? I assume that the people that "fix" it are trying to do so to make it look more presentable, but don't black and red scribbles make it look just as horrifying?  

Kadeejah Seshat

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:03 pm
Well, if you read through her blog, she posts images of her corrections, and most, if not all, are very difficult to see.

She actually has a couple police-peoples' support. Or, at least, they don't really care all that much.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:32 pm
Maybe I haven't made it through enough of the blog yet, but it looks to me like "vandal" is mainly just used for the web site and page title. The images and quotes I have veiwed so far are all posted in their original grammatically incorrect forms. She's more just pointing out incorrect bits or grammar and spelling that you see happen often in everyday life, in situatioins where it should have been published correctly. Some of them are even excerpts of conversations she has had with people where some bit of the grammar needed to be corrected in their conversation.

I don't think it's promoting vandalism on anything... Maybe I skimmed over something though. Perhaps you could direct me to the entry with the instance of vandalizing something? Right now it looks like you overreacted to the title.  

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:57 pm
That blog is definitely going on my favorites list now. FUNNY STUFF. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:58 pm
May I be the first to point this out?

Ms. Grammarvandal, while slightly misguided, is still hilarious. I derive MUCH laughter out of such mistakes - this is one of my favorites:

User Image

Men, go back to school, if only to learn how to spell it.  

Sanami2315

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:31 pm
lmao, Sanami. I didn't get to that one.

I think I'm gonna have to add Grammar Vandalto my favorites, too.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:17 pm
That's one she missed, too. But maybe she only points out signs in her area, so I can let that go.

"Shcool" is worth a laugh.  

Sanami2315

Fuku Taichou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:18 am
@ Sanami2315:
Haha, that's pretty funny.

Yeah, I don't think it's really right to go around vandalizing other people's property. Although grammar is still important to know, it's possibly worse to go around defacing property that doesn't belong to you. confused

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff