Bindings Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:41 am
I have found bindings allways to be a tricky subject. And, as far as I know, there hasn't been a thread about it, so maybe we should discuss it.

-Situations demanding a binding
-Karmic repercussions of a binding

I highly suggest that no one post a binding ritual, or explains how to perform one.

Allright, for anyone who should not know of what a binding is, here's a basic definition. It's when you perform a ritual with the intent of "binding" someone's powers, ensuring that they cannot perform any other magic. Or bind a specific quality, for example, binding someones ability to rape.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:24 pm
Hmm, I would have though such a topic would bring in many people. Here, I'll start with a story.

At the college I go to, there is a sexual predator. He's in his mid-fourties, but still attends full day classes. He tends to go after young women who are in a rough period. He plays the role of the protective father, brother, or whatever is needed. Then introduces them to the "Great Rite". Or his twisted version. He is a very strong empath, and can actually twists peoples emotions.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:07 am
I have a friend who was binded (not sure if he knows it or not) by another friend so that he would not harm himself or others.

Well... the problem is that even though my other friend was pretty knowledgable about what he was doing and had good intentions, it severely cut-off my first friend''s connection to the divine. Combine a person with family problems and disconnection, and you have an ugly mess.

I''ve been trying to help him; unfortunately, I''m bad with connecting with people over the summer. xp I hope the school year will allow for more opportunities to get together and continue to smoothen things out.

So yeah, bindings seem generally simple, but can reak havoc. Have your intention- and detail-ducks in order before going about one (or generally any spell).  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 am
I'm reluctant to do any sort of binding on anything. As change is a fundament of the universe, so are the blisses and sufferings that come with change. I do not think it appropriate to use magic to prevent such natural things from occuring. Now, if someone's breaking the law, I turn them into the police. I don't bind them.  

Starlock
Crew

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:52 am
Then again, there are times when the law just doesn't work. For example, the situation I described before. the guy knows every rule in the book, and is just barely on the right side of the law each time. Unfortunately, the law doesn't include supernaturally forcing peoples emotions.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:53 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Then again, there are times when the law just doesn't work. For example, the situation I described before. the guy knows every rule in the book, and is just barely on the right side of the law each time. Unfortunately, the law doesn't include supernaturally forcing peoples emotions.
Well, what do we consider his actions/intents as- natural or unnatural?  

Jameta
Captain

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:26 pm
I don't follow you...Do you mean, "is the way he snares victims a normal form of seduction, or is it some form of magic?"  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:53 pm
Binding is a really touchy subject, and not one with which I've had a lot of experience. If someone's doing something bad to me, or I suspect that they may be doing something bad to me, then I'd rather just ward myself- that way I catch anything coming from any direction. If someone's doing something bad to other people, then I turn them in to the authorities. I've never encountered someone who was clearly a threat, and yet the people charged with taking care of such things wouldn't step in and do their job. I guess that if I had then I'd have occasion to look into bindings, but the thing is that when you bind someone, you also bind them to yourself. I don't want someone like that tied to me in any way, shape, or form. I also think that if you put shackles of any sort on a person, then you will likely inhibit areas of their life which you had not intended- Jameta's story is a good example. Cutting a person off from their potential is a serious violation of ma'at- in many cases it may complicate the problem more than solving it. I'd rather leave such judgements to Ma'at Herself. Just my opinion, though.

I'd keep reporting that guy, Seraph- you and people you know. If he gets enough reports on him then the police will start being more heavy-handed with him- and word will get around that he's a man to steer clear of.  

WebenBanu

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:02 pm
Reporting hasn't worked, because according to the normal world, he hasn't done anything against the law. You can't exactly repost someone t the police, saying "this mans has been sending spirits to attack me", or such accusations. Warding would be good, if you're the only victim. But if someone is a threat to everyone around them, wouldn't that be the time to step in?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:29 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Reporting hasn't worked, because according to the normal world, he hasn't done anything against the law. You can't exactly repost someone t the police, saying "this mans has been sending spirits to attack me", or such accusations. Warding would be good, if you're the only victim. But if someone is a threat to everyone around them, wouldn't that be the time to step in?

I don't think I'd ever bind anyone, but being my mean "old" self I would probably sent something that weakened him or made his magic act wrong, or simple give Karma the largest kick in the a**. I personally do that myself the 3 one I just speed up what would natrually happen to them at some point.
It's worked twice, I don't like people intentionally hurting my feelings so a spell to send Karma to get them faster is better.  

Rakei

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:42 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
I don't follow you...Do you mean, "is the way he snares victims a normal form of seduction, or is it some form of magic?"
In nature, would it be, as you said, a normal way of forming relationship (intiamte or not), or is it unnatural?

And if individual makes one truly uncomfortable to be around to the point where one is unable to function normally, one can get a restraining order.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:54 pm
Oh, how I remember my second year of university... I had lucked into a great dorm room, with no neighbors on either side of me, which I thought was great! I liked peace and quiet, and privacy. The problem started about a month into the school year, with the girl who lived in the room above me. Her floor, was my ceiling, and when she was slamming things down on the floor, rearranging furniture at 3 AM and I had an 8:15 that morning, or she and her friends were stomping and jumping around, my ceiling actually used to vibrate, as did my radiator, and I obviously couldn't sleep.

I reported it to the RA's, as it was a frequent problem. I went up a number of times to politely ask them to be quiet (at 4 AM, after being rudely awakened, it was certainly more then they deserved) and was treated rudely. So in February, I'd had enough. On top of personal problems, it was just a bit much and my grades were suffering. I called in a good friend, and together we performed a binding, simply to put a stop to the disruptive behavior. It worked wonderfully. The disturbances didn't stop, per se, but lessened signifigantly until one of my spell compononats was found and moved by my boyfriend at the time. By then, the year was just about over, and I made it through.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:26 pm
Eeep. Yeah, me and sleep is probably the one thing I'd consider doing a binding for (laughs). I totally understand the issue there.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:12 am
Rakei
Nihilistic Seraph

I don't think I'd ever bind anyone, but being my mean "old" self I would probably sent something that weakened him or made his magic act wrong, or simple give Karma the largest kick in the a**. I personally do that myself the 3 one I just speed up what would natrually happen to them at some point.
It's worked twice, I don't like people intentionally hurting my feelings so a spell to send Karma to get them faster is better.

Good advice. Mr. Seraph, avoid compromising your own karma - this is why bad things happen to good people. As was previously mentioned, if you choose the binding route, be methodical and careful.  

TheArgus

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:15 am
TheArgus
Rakei
Nihilistic Seraph

Good advice. Mr. Seraph, avoid compromising your own karma - this is why bad things happen to good people. As was previously mentioned, if you choose the binding route, be methodical and careful.
There's allways the catch. But sometimes, you just gotta buckle up and take it. And your sig is really really trippy.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff