Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Top Ten Things that annoys knitters Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:31 am
I starting a book about the being a beginner knitter and i thought it would be cute to add a chapter about the top ten things that annoys knitters. So what as a knitter annoys you???  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:17 am
~When others confuse knitting and crocheting (I've gotten used to it though).

~Following patterns. I know there are a lot of people who just swear by them, but I can't follow them to save my life. I have to use my own design or I'm not happy. I will follow directions for patterned stitches, though.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:44 am
~When someone askes "You made that? Wow it looks real!" WTF hello it is real, I just made it myself instead of buying a mass produced one thank you very much. XP

~being asked "Aren't you to young to be knitting?" its even worse if I'm crocheting when they ask.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:12 am
knitting_needle_ninja
~
And how often does this honestly happen? Knitting is more present in shared knowledge than is crochet, I doubt that people ask you what you are crocheting when you are knitting (like the reverse happens to crocheters)
Or does it just bother you that people see something crocheted and think that it is knitting?

The two needle crafts are immensly similar, esp. to non crafters who see basically a string being made into fabric, and the lines increasingly blur with Tunisian crochet and Cronknit (hybrid). Seriously the difference is not that important to most people; think of something you don't really care about and don't know much about and how offensive it is to people that you don't know the difference between hex head cap screws and flat head machine screws... or even the difference between phillips and robertson. LOL we is are not that important that people should know the intimate details of our hobbies.

Or is this just a case of those knitters/crocheters rivalries?

I don't intend to inflame but honest to goodness I don't understand why knitters and crocheters can't just deal with it.

~

Tes

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:32 am
Annoying things in knitting:

1. Lost needles that prevent progress on your favorite WIP.
2. Unmatched dyelots.
3. Snarls, knots, or vegetable matter in your yarn.
4. "Machine washable" wool that felts.
5. US vs Metric naming system for needles (can't we all just stick with mm?).
6. Ever-disappearing notions - stitchmarkers, scissors, measuring tape, tapestry needles, etc. I can never find one when I need it!
7. Moths!
8. Gauge swatches that lie.
9. Weaving in ends on slippery yarns.
10. Work, housework - anything that takes away from your knitting time!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:42 am
Tes
knitting_needle_ninja
~
And how often does this honestly happen? Knitting is more present in shared knowledge than is crochet, I doubt that people ask you what you are crocheting when you are knitting (like the reverse happens to crocheters)
Or does it just bother you that people see something crocheted and think that it is knitting?

The two needle crafts are immensly similar, esp. to non crafters who see basically a string being made into fabric, and the lines increasingly blur with Tunisian crochet and Cronknit (hybrid). Seriously the difference is not that important to most people; think of something you don't really care about and don't know much about and how offensive it is to people that you don't know the difference between hex head cap screws and flat head machine screws... or even the difference between phillips and robertson. LOL we is are not that important that people should know the intimate details of our hobbies.

Or is this just a case of those knitters/crocheters rivalries?

I don't intend to inflame but honest to goodness I don't understand why knitters and crocheters can't just deal with it.

~

I do both, honestly, so it's not a matter of rivalry or anything like that. It's not that it's offensive, just annoying, because normally it's the same people asking the same question over and over.

And I crocheted for ten years before I learned to knit, so people got used to seeing me with crochet rather than knitting.

I'm going to have to agree with Tinuvial on the "lying gauge swatches"--that's been a real problem for me lately. Forget making two identical anything.

And weaving in ends in general annoy me. All those little finishing details. Ick.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:43 am
Finding a pattern that requires a specific gauge that NO OTHER type of yarn has except for the one that it calls for in the pattern, which is always too expensive, ugly, or discontinued.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:46 am
knitting_needle_ninja
I'm going to have to agree with Tinuvial on the "lying gauge swatches"--that's been a real problem for me lately. Forget making two identical anything.
I'm going to agree with this one. I was crocheting a capelet and the gauge for the little flower links were spot on. I had to go up 5 hook sizes and I still couldn't get gauge for the neck opening! I ended up chucking it all. xp

Also, excessive knots in mass produced yarn. It's acceptable to have one where maybe there's an accident and the yarn breaks off/ends and needs to be joined. But 4? Come on! You need to just chuck that skein into the bin as a defect and start again... not sell it!

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:35 am
Momo wants it to be Halloween already,
My two big ones are descrepancies in patterns, and beautiful old yarn that decides as you pull it out of your stash buckets that it's going to disintegrate. I was gorgeous and soft too, it was my great grandma's though, really insanely old.
And you should too...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:14 pm
Yarn snobs! (Or, as Debbie Stoller calls them, "Holier-than-thou" knitters) I'm quickly annoyed by people who think they're so much better than everyone else, especially people who use acrylic yarn and metal needles. Knit the way you want to, but don't put down others for not doing things exactly your way.  

Brunette_Star

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:50 pm
Things about knitting that but the snot out of em.
Bent needles.
Missing needles.
That annoying scraping noise you can make by rubbing the point of one needle down the side of the other.
splitting the thread.
Dropping a stitch.
losing your place in a very complicated pattern  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:39 pm
going into yarn shop's that are owned by snoby people.
I hate when I over hear shop owner's/worker's talking down to new knitters, spinners, crocheters, ext.  

Lee Kushrenada

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:56 pm
Lee Kushrenada
going into yarn shop's that are owned by snoby people..

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I also hate yarn shops where the owner will tell you can return something, but when you do return it in a few days, you are told that you can't. (true story)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:30 pm
sonicrunner001
Lee Kushrenada
going into yarn shop's that are owned by snoby people..

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I also hate yarn shops where the owner will tell you can return something, but when you do return it in a few days, you are told that you can't. (true story)

I had a friend who went into a shop to look at the needle's, and the owner came up to her and asked her if she knew how expensive they were. ...ya... the price is right there.  

Lee Kushrenada

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:56 pm
Lee Kushrenada
going into yarn shop's that are owned by snoby people.
I hate when I over hear shop owner's/worker's talking down to new knitters, spinners, crocheters, ext.

Amen, brother. It only took one trip to my local yarn store to send me back to the craft store. ("Did I just hear you say Lion Brand, college girl?")  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff