Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is spelling really that important?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jangab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:42 am
"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:18 am
Wow.

*blinkblink*
eek
I read all of that without thinking twice....

But yes-- I still think spelling is important.  

Hyperiona

7,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Shiyiya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:36 am
Sometimes, the spelling is off enough that you cannot tell what word it's intended to be. Then it's a problem.

I've always found that interesting, my mom gets it in her email about once a year and forwards it to me. My mom gtes it in her eimal and she fowrdas it to me. Um. I shouldn't try to emulate things like that, I just look silly.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:37 pm
Too bad that with anything three letters or lower, that mixing up the letters doesn't work.

I remember seeing something similar to what JanGab posted a while back. Studies were done, and yeah, the human brain reads words, not letters, so as long as you keep the first and last letters in place, somehow it comes together. It's so strange to think about how our brains can still process what is being said..... Although I'm guessing that if someone didn't know there was a Cambridge University, he/she might not understand that word.

Fuku Taichou

Venat the Undying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:16 pm
Yes, because if two words could fit in the sentence, have about the same number of letters, and begin and end the same, but totally different meanings, how do you know how to interpret the sentence?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:53 pm
Well, I would say that spelling is pretty important. =/  

Error Access Denied

Shygoddess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:39 am
I actually read through what you've posted, but good spelling can't hurt.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:40 am
That study's pretty old, and it is easier to write in full words rather than garble.  

Zealot of Insanity

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff