Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Advice about parents.... not what you think

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whould you go along with it?
  Yes!
  Heck no!
  I'm not sure...
  COOKIE!
View Results

Foxmore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:18 pm
After years of my parents not supporting me in my path, they have finaly come around. I am so happy about that.

My problem is, my dad has had some foot problems that I have been helping him with by making him herb infused bath salts and such to make the swelling go down. It helps, but now he wants to market that and charge people for me to purify their houses (we had a bit of a spirit problem before that I took care of). I am not comfortable with this. He does not see why I am so against doing this. I want to help people, but I don't want to do it for a price. All I would want to charge is the cost of supplies and if they want to give me more, I would gladly take it. Money is not what it should be about though...

gah! How do I get through to him that I don't want to do this? He seems to have so much more faith in me and my abilities than I do.

(keep in mind that even though I have been studing wicca for over 7 years, I have only been able to practice any form of the craft for less than one.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:52 pm
Well, aside from beating him over the head with a 2x4 (which I have wanted to do to my own father on occasions) I'm not sure how best to get your point across than to keep doing what you're doing; that is, keep telling him that you don't want to do it. Legally, he can't force you, but I understand this probably isn't your main concern and you'd just like some peace and understanding in your home. Maybe you can explain to him that one of the tenets of Wicca is to avoid personal gain (though this isn't entirely true), and that to sell yourself and your magic out on the street is not only an insult to you, but an insult to your Gods. Now, that last bit about being an insult, that's entirely true! If you were to go ahead and do this to please your father, but were still apprehensive, your energies would be off and your magic would suffer, not to mention your connection to the Deities. Balance is required in all things, you see?

Good luck speaking with your dad. I hope I was able to help some.
Cheers~ S  

LadySorcha

Skadi-The-Elf

Ruthless Loiterer

17,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:33 am
Explain to him that this is a spiritual/religious path, not some circus side show. Ask him if he would trust a minister or preist who charged 20 bucks a pop for him to pray for you. Or another member of whatever faith.

People tend to think, because there are alot of hucksters out there, that performing magick spells or prayers for people costs. I blame these stupid psychic networks and tabloid adds for voodoo spells. They tend to think Wicca is another one of those things.

I find nothing wrong with people giving you gifts or buying ritual supplies for you. After all, in ancient times, the village witch was supported that way. Since most of her time was spent making potions, lotions, and medicines, she had little time to work or farm, so the people would bring her food or gifts for her services.

Just don't let people take advantage of you, because they will. confused  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:59 pm
I agree with Sorcha, just tell him whats-what.

I personally would just ask the price of the supplies. Awhile back I was thinking of sending things to people in the guild for free but decided I couldn't because of shipping issues. Though I now have a friend who works for Fedex so I might be able to start that back up. wink

Charge what you feel comfortable with.

I personally want to be able to provide, cheaply if not free, an assortment of goods to the guild members that are unable to get things themselves.  

Dragoness Arleeana

Eloquent Hunter

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:39 pm
Take it as a compliment. Your father appears to see the value in what you can do.. he's just not sure how to show it. I agree... talk to him about this. Explain your feelings, and make sure he understands that you're not licensed in anything... and charging for things can get you in trouble. Case in point.. I do believe it is illegal to read tarot for a fee without a license... in most if not all US States. Making bath salts for anything over your supply cost could get into some sticky issues with places... FDA comes to mind, or something like that. Cleansing someone's house probably has issues too. Anymore, there's rules and regs for more than you'd think, to keep people from being taken advantage of by fakes. Have him research all the ins and outs, and he'll probably find out it's not worth it.

Now, I also know many folks who make things, like bath salts and candles and lip gloss and the like... they sell it online or at metaphysical fairs. Many make either their living doing it, or supliment their income by it. I'd also suggest talking to some of them about it... for yourself. Ask them why the do it, how they feel about it, and things like that.

Goddess gives us talents.. she wants us to use them to help people... but no one ever said she wanted us to be broke. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:19 am
Compare it to how the Catholic Church would 'sell absolution'. twisted If you 'sold' your works, that means you're selling out your faith.

Not against some people doing their 'works for money', but really, there are lines to draw. I used to read tarot for 'love offerings'. That is, if they felt like it, they could give me money for my time and efforts, but they didn't have to - I was performing a public service. Sometimes I'd get nothing. Once, a lady handed me 50 bucks. 4laugh

Tell him it's 'faith', and it's not for sale. confused  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Lotus Poem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:31 pm
He probably feels that so many con artists get rich off of faking it and you wouldn't be faking it and should get the same rewards. It is a compliment. Make sure he understands that your rewards are beyond monetary and that is not your priority in your spiritual work.

Also as a previous poster pointed out you may be restricted by laws in your area and charging could cause you lots of problems. Especially making "claims" that your bath salts can help with health problems and such. I'm not saying they don't help, but yeah the FDA has issues with "claims" and mostly with good reason. If it is something you want to pursue talk to others in your community that provide these services. See if you fall under a spiritual counseling clause of some kind.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:14 pm
I think that you could sell the kind of herbs and medicinals, but I also think that you shouldn't be purifying for a profit, but thats just me personally.

Think about it, doctors have sold medication for hundreds of years, and will sell medication in the future.
But when a priest baptises someone, is he doing it for money? or the goodness of his heart?

(probably a bad example, but I hope you caught the gist of what I'm saying)

But anyways it's your choice, so do whatever you think is right.  

Sirrush_Grey

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 pm
13-Spider-13

But when a priest baptises someone, is he doing it for money? or the goodness of his heart?

He's doing it because it's his job, his duty and his responsibility in service to his god and his flock.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:03 pm
You'd actually be surprised what clergy charge for these days... though to be sure it's phrased as a "donation" to the church. 3nodding  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Arcaniss Vivian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:51 pm
My chiropractor has charges for different treatments, but if people can't afford her ususal price, she works with them to make sure that they won't put themselves in debt just so that they can walk. (aka me, lol) I really appreciate what she does, charges or not. She is a homeopathic chiropractor who also has a degree thingy in acupuncture and crystal healing, which could be considered spiritual healing. No one has ever said a word against her selling her services and I would'nt either, but I'm pretty sure that going against your morals and your heart is never the way to go. If your conscience feels wrong them remember that it's not just floating around for looks, it has a purpose.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games