Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Problems with project moochers?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 pm
Have you ever been making something and someone asks to see it. When they see it and know what it is, they ask you or tell you that you should make one for them? I usually tell them to buy the yarn, then I'll make it. (no returns on it yet!)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:33 pm
Yeh, I had that problem with felted berets this summer.

27 berets and counting..... >.<  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:48 am
I nearly "lost" my latest project, a knitted shawl, before I even had time to weave in the ends. xp I finished in the car on the way to the reasturant were we went to eat that day since I knew it could be cold to sit outside and eat. It turned out my aunt was colder than me so I let her borrow it and she didn't want to give it back wink

It was a really simple pattern but I don't think I'll make another anytime soon.

Big needles, soft yarn (I used some kind of acrylic+mohair blend)

CO 3-5 stitches
knit first row
*k1, pick up and knit a stitch between the first and second stitch, knit the rest of the row.*
rinse and repeat with increases every row until it's big enough. Make it HUGE!

I guess you could use other ways to increase, but the picked up stitches give a nice border with holes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 am
How do you pick up and knit a stitch thats not there? (pardon the knitting newb)  

Silver Mist

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:59 pm
Silver Mist
How do you pick up and knit a stitch thats not there? (pardon the knitting newb)

Like this.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:58 pm
People always ask me to make scarves for them.

And yeah, I do the "buy the yarn and I'll make it for you" deal too. My sister's boyfriend actually agreed to buy the yarn if I would crochet him an amigurumi plushie.

However, I told my friend that there was no way I would make an afghan for her when I had so much other stuff to do.  

selenitrope

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:52 pm
Tinuvial
Silver Mist

Like this.

Things are very much beginning to make sense now.

*doink*  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:50 pm
I just say "no." My friends stop asking, they get one for christmas, their birthday, or when i see a pattern that makes me think of them.

The exception to this is sewing. When somebody wants something, i'm willing to help them look for a pattern and fabric, as long as they are paying. I'm willing to do the work as long as they pay for the project itself.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:18 am
Annchen

Big needles, soft yarn (I used some kind of acrylic+mohair blend)

CO 3-5 stitches
knit first row
*k1, pick up and knit a stitch between the first and second stitch, knit the rest of the row.*
rinse and repeat with increases every row until it's big enough. Make it HUGE!

I guess you could use other ways to increase, but the picked up stitches give a nice border with holes.

I'm doing something similar, with a YO at the beginning and end of even rows, and knitting odd rows. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:17 pm
sonicrunner001
Have you ever been making something and someone asks to see it. When they see it and know what it is, they ask you or tell you that you should make one for them? I usually tell them to buy the yarn, then I'll make it. (no returns on it yet!)

I was stashbusting by making scarves to donate and a friend was entranced by the pink mohair scarf I was making. She begged and begged for it until I gave in, she wore it twice and I never saw it again.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:34 pm
If I like them, and I've got time, I tell them "Buy the yarn- I'll help you pick it out, and I'll do it."

If I like them, but don't have time, I tell them "Buy the yarn and give me $20 (price adjusts depending on size of project, but that's like, the minimum, especially if I design it myself.), and I'll do it."

If I don't particularly feel like EVER knitting them ANYTHING, I tell them "Show me the pattern, I'll help you figure out what size you need, we'll figure yarn, and then if you buy it, I'll knit it for the yarn and the cost of my time." This usually puts them off.

Of course, all of my friends can expect knit birthday/Yule gifts. And all the close ones get the occasional random knit thing if something made me think of them and I HAD to do it.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games